Politics

School threats following Virginia Tech massacre force lock-downs in 10 states

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#1New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 16:47:19
9:02 p.m. April 17, 2007

AUSTIN, Texas ? Campus threats forced lock-downs and evacuations at universities, high schools and middle schools in at least 10 states on Tuesday, a day after a Virginia Tech student's shooting rampage killed 33 people.

Threats in Louisiana, Montana and Washington state directly mentioned the massacre in Virginia, while others were reports of suspicious activity in Texas, Arizona, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Dakota, South Dakota and Michigan.

In Louisiana, parents picked up hundreds of students from Bogalusa's high school and middle school amid reports that a man had been arrested Tuesday morning for threatening a mass killing in a note that alluded to the murders at Virginia Tech.

Schools Superintendent Jerry Payne said both schools were locked down and police arrested a 53-year-old man who allegedly made the threat in a note he gave to a student headed to the private Bowling Green School in Franklinton. Both towns are in southeastern Louisiana.

?The note referred to what happened at Virginia Tech,? Payne said. ?It said something like, 'If you think that was bad, then you haven't seen anything yet.?

A Great Falls, Mont., high school was locked down for a time Tuesday after a threatening note was found in a girls' bathroom.

A student found the threatening note at about 12:15 p.m. on a toilet paper dispenser. It stated, ?the shooting would start at Great Falls High at 12:30 and it would be worse than Virginia Tech,? Assistant Superintendent d*** Kuntz said. He said it was a hoax.

Washington State University's branch campus in Vancouver was evacuated because of graffiti discovered in a campus restroom threatened harm likened to the Virginia slayings around 8 p.m., around the time a conference on the Patriot Act and the war on terror was scheduled, authorities said. The event was to be rescheduled.

In Rapid City, S.D., schools were locked down after receiving reports of a man with a gun in a parking lot at Central High. No shots were fired and no injuries were reported, police said. The high school students were taken to the nearby Rushmore Plaza Civic Center, where parents were allowed to pick up their children.

In Austin, authorities evacuated buildings at St. Edward's University after a threatening note was found, a school official said.

Police secured the campus perimeter and were searching the buildings, St. Edward's University spokeswoman Mischelle Amador said. She declined to say where the note was found and said its contents were ?nonspecific.?

Amador said the university's reaction was not influenced by Monday's attack at Virginia Tech.

?No matter what day or when this would have happened, we will always take the necessary precautions to protect our students, our faculty, our staff, the entire university community,? she said.

Seven North Dakota State University buildings in Fargo were evacuated after a duffel bag was found outside a bus shelter in the main part of the campus. NDSU spokesman Dave Wahlberg said the shootings in Virginia reinforced the need to ?err on the side of safety.?

In Bloomfield Hills, Mich., police attributed a 30-minute lock-down at the exclusive Cranbrook Schools complex in response to jittery nerves following the Virginia slayings.

School officials called police after parents and students reported spotting a 6-foot-tall man in a skirt, high heels, lipstick and a blond wig near a school drop-off area outside Cranbrook's Kingswood Upper School, Lt. Paul Myszenski said. Police were unable to find anyone meeting the man's description.

At the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, officials ordered three campus administration buildings evacuated for almost two hours Tuesday morning in response to a telephone bomb threat. The city's bomb squad searched the buildings but found nothing, campus spokesman Chuck Cantrell said.

Cantrell said there was no reason to believe the bogus threat was related to the shootings at Virginia Tech, but ?we just chose to err on the side of caution today.?

In Arizona, classes were canceled at Estrella Mountain Community College in Avondale, a suburb of Phoenix, after a note threatening a shooting was delivered via intercampus mail.

Avondale police conferred with campus officers and staff and decided the threat was ?serious and immediate? and ordered the evacuation, said Amy Boulton, a police spokeswoman. Officers searched the campus looking for evidence or any threat but nothing was found, Boulton said.

A scare at the University of Oklahoma at Norman started with a report of a man spotted on campus carrying a suspicious object, officials said.

The man was carrying an umbrella, not a weapon, and he later identified himself to authorities, University of Oklahoma President David Boren said in a statement. Boren initially had said the person was believed to carrying a yoga mat.

?We now consider the matter closed,? Boren said. ?We always want to err on the side of caution in a situation like this.?

https://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20070417-2102-university-bombthreat.html

#2New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 16:47:31
People are wacky..
lost_witness On May 15, 2007

London DUH!, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 16:48:49
They Should Ban Guns And Be DOne With It
alysedai On November 09, 2020

Newport News, Virginia
#4New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 17:42:19
I had a student tell me that the Bloods at this school have threatened to bring guns into the building and shoot down people on Friday...the anniversary of Columbine.

#5New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 17:45:49
oh geeze, what is going on .. kids need mentoring or something.. hope you reported it.

I remember my freshman year at my high school we had at least 3 bomb threats.. it was so fricken cold waiting outside to.. but I would rather be outside in the cold then dead in school.. people have problems.
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#6New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 18:05:58
There's a lot of sick people in the world.

Sick people with easy access to guns equals murder.
Robb On April 20, 2011

Deleted

#7New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 19:48:54
People shouldn't own personal firearms in civilised countries like ours, they are made to kill and hurt; that is their only purpose and sooner or later they will be put to use. Why else would people own a gun if they never intended to use it? I think American laws on firearms could do with some improvement.
bigpete On April 20, 2008

Cardiff, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 20:12:48
@robb Said
People shouldn't own personal firearms in civilised countries like ours, they are made to kill and hurt; that is their only purpose and sooner or later they will be put to use. Why else would people own a gun if they never intended to use it? I think American laws on firearms could do with some improvement.

"The right to bear arms"

Legaly obtained guns were used in this case. But it is still rare for gun crime to involve legal firearms. People who use guns for sport and personel protection generaly do not use them to commit crime.

Taking away legal guns will disarm the law abiding population of America but will give a free run for those who own and are willing to use illegal firearms.

Banning legal firearms will have very bad reprecussions for the average citizen who feels they need a gun for protection.

On the other hand, it is still far to easy to obtain a handgun in the US, the legisation could be tightened up somewhat.
Darkshine On May 05, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#9New Post! Apr 19, 2007 @ 00:35:47
This is utter chaos. It's sending the entire education system of the US straight down the drain.
It's because America has built itself off fear. They rely on their guns for protection from the dangerous, fearful world they're perceiving around them.

Also, I can't believe that people are saying that guns could've FIXED the situation.
What do they think caused the problem!?

It's just utter chaos, this is what governments thrive on.
negasable On August 05, 2008

Deleted

West Side, California
#10New Post! Apr 19, 2007 @ 00:38:26
Chaos is now order of the world's flow. I doubt that'll change.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#11New Post! Apr 19, 2007 @ 00:39:14
@darkshine Said
It's because America has built itself off fear. They rely on their guns for protection from the dangerous, fearful world they're perceiving around them.

No. We did not build our country out of fear. It was not until Bush, Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld and the rest of their nuts decided to capitolize on fear after 9/11.

We were built on strenght and free though...we have bought into the politics of fear.

It is very sad.
negasable On August 05, 2008

Deleted

West Side, California
#12New Post! Apr 19, 2007 @ 00:40:10
America's going to the pits. I'm going to Canada when I grow up.

#13New Post! Apr 19, 2007 @ 00:43:27
Oh come on, cry me a river, i'm sick of reading this American hate s*** thread in and out.. get over it.. s*** happens in every country, there are messed up people all over the world and I don't feel like wasting time to search through history to prove it .. you just hear about America's more because we are a power Country.. just trust me it's not just America..

#14New Post! Apr 19, 2007 @ 00:49:41
And the kid was Korean!!

#15New Post! Apr 19, 2007 @ 00:54:44
Also and if it wasn't a gun, it could have been a homemade bomb or any other such weapon.. gun laws are different in each state and he followed the law, even if they were banned you still don't think people would somehow get a hold of them?? Don't hold your breath..
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs