I beg to differ

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 09:51:56
SKy are remembering 9/11 as the day that changed America. I disagree. It didn't just change America, it changed the world. I was 11 on the 11th of September 2001 and had never heard the word terrorist. I remember being so confused - what was a terrorist and why were they attacking America (remembering that the America I was thinking of what Disneyworld, Broadway and Hollywood)? Why would someone want to kill all of those people?

And then the wars began. First Afghanistan and then Iraq. Iraq was the one that freaked me and my classmates out the most. All of that talk of WMDs and we were actually attacking them? I remember a teacher giving us homework to be told "What's the point? Saddam will have nuked us by then anyway." I remember the teacher leaning backwards in shock and then telling us about being in the Gulf back in his Navy days and that if he survived that then we'd survive this. This opened up debate between myself and one particularly blood thirsty boy about civillian casualties.

And then of course there was the fear of a repeat attack not in New York, but somewhere in the UK. MY step-dad scoffed and said that if the IRA never tried to take a piece of Scotland, these guys wouldn't either. He was wrong.

Since 9/11, my world has changed too.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#2New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 09:59:26
you bring up something quite interesting.

The last 30 years of my life every 2-3 years there has been a war wher the UK has been invlved in in some way or form. the last 10 years alone we have beeen in 4! Bosnia Kosovo Iraq and afganistan. before that Iraq, falklands ireland the list goes on for the UK. america has seen its fair share of action..

But wouldnt it be nice to never see a war for at least 20years. Apprently we still call this peace time.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:01:22
@markfox01 Said

you bring up something quite interesting.

The last 30 years of my life every 2-3 years there has been a war wher the UK has been invlved in in some way or form. the last 10 years alone we have beeen in 4! Bosnia Kosovo Iraq and afganistan. before that Iraq, falklands ireland the list goes on for the UK. america has seen its fair share of action..

But wouldnt it be nice to never see a war for at least 20years. Apprently we still call this peace time.

Yeah apparently WW2 was the last official war or something?
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#4New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:02:49
I am not putting down your age but it was hard for adults to try and understand, to make sense of and try not to be scared. I can't imagine seeing and hearing all that at 11. It must have been a scary time.

I remember thinking they would come to Canada because we are friends with the US. They did arrest terriorists from Canada and I was shocked.
innit!

#5New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:05:53
@DorkySupergirl Said

I am not putting down your age but it was hard for adults to try and understand, to make sense of and try not to be scared. I can't imagine seeing and hearing all that at 11. It must have been a scary time.

I remember thinking they would come to Canada because we are friends with the US. They did arrest terriorists from Canada and I was shocked.

Living in the UK with the IRA bombing us we already had a anti terror network to prevent terroists. to be honest 7/7, where done by British citizens. Terror now has a new face, and holds the same passport as you.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:06:40
@DorkySupergirl Said

It was a bit scary but more confusing really. I didn't understand why people would want to do that. The bit that scared me was how angry and upset my gran was at the time. SHe met me off the school bus and marched me back to her place all the time ranting about people attacking America
kaydoh On December 19, 2011

nottingham, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:14:03
@crazychica Said

It was a bit scary but more confusing really. I didn't understand why people would want to do that. The bit that scared me was how angry and upset my gran was at the time. SHe met me off the school bus and marched me back to her place all the time ranting about people attacking America

I know what you mean. While I'm no saint I believe I'm inherently a good person. I would never try to hurt anyone unless it was a form of self defence. It's hard to understand their mentality, it's easy to believe they are all crazy! The problem is that these terrorists are completely brainwashed from birth to believe that westerners are the root of all evil, they have training camps for kids as young as four. As kids we are impressionable and to them they are fighting a very just cause.

I think what the 9/11 bombings did was to bring the wars from third world counties to our doorstep and that's what shocked us all. America is seen as the all powerful nation, I think the feeling was.. "s*** nobody is safe!"
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#8New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:15:46
I know the so called reasons why but I still can't wrap my brain around the fact that people have so much hate, will sacrifice themselves etc and hide behind religion.

I always fear it will happen again. I was at work and we turned the tv on. We all cried and hugged each other. We did nothing except watch.

Seeing the people jump out of the building, it still makes me cry.
innit!

#9New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:18:36
What can you do to a giant burning building? if in that situation And have no way of rescue.. I would try my chances with jumping out over getting crushed to death.

its so sad and it makes me feel not scared when i think of it, but really nervous on the point of... AHH!!

But can you imagine going to work, sitting at your desk and then 10mins later contiplating jumping out of a burning building.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:20:39
@kaydoh Said

I know what you mean. While I'm no saint I believe I'm inherently a good person. I would never try to hurt anyone unless it was a form of self defence. It's hard to understand their mentality, it's easy to believe they are all crazy! The problem is that these terrorists are completely brainwashed from birth to believe that westerners are the root of all evil, they have training camps for kids as young as four. As kids we are impressionable and to them they are fighting a very just cause.

I think what the 9/11 bombings did was to bring the wars from third world counties to our doorstep and that's what shocked us all. America is seen as the all powerful nation, I think the feeling was.. "s*** nobody is safe!"

Yeah. That's why I'm against indoctrinating kids into any religion. It warps their whole manner of thinking all the way through life.

@DorkySupergirl Said

I know the so called reasons why but I still can't wrap my brain around the fact that people have so much hate, will sacrifice themselves etc and hide behind religion.

I always fear it will happen again. I was at work and we turned the tv on. We all cried and hugged each other. We did nothing except watch.

Seeing the people jump out of the building, it still makes me cry.

I know. I just watched a video on the Sky News website that showed the second plane hit the tower and the aftermath of the collapse. One of the people going through the wreckage had found someone's rag doll. It was so sad and even just the atmosphere of the place. It was numb and desolate. It was creepy. It's hard to believe that someone somewhere enjoyed watching that.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:22:25
@markfox01 Said

What can you do to a giant burning building? if in that situation And have no way of rescue.. I would try my chances with jumping out over getting crushed to death.

its so sad and it makes me feel not scared when i think of it, but really nervous on the point of... AHH!!

But can you imagine going to work, sitting at your desk and then 10mins later contiplating jumping out of a burning building.

No. It must have been horrible. The worst part would be not knowing what was going on. WHat gets to me is that people who tried to evacuate the second tower after the plane hit the first were told to go back to their offices.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:25:35
It was indeed horrifying. I dont know that it changed the world though.

It certainly made a massive impact on anyone over this side of the planet but a lot of people on the earth dont even have a TV so i dunno about that.

I just re-read that and it makes me sound like an obnoxious prick
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:27:35
@treebee Said

It was indeed horrifying. I dont know that it changed the world though.

It certainly made a massive impact on anyone over this side of the planet but a lot of people on the earth dont even have a TV so i dunno about that.

I just re-read that and it makes me sound like an obnoxious prick

It doesn't It's a good point.
kaydoh On December 19, 2011

nottingham, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:29:25
this is a bit of topic.. but following what Treebee said.. I read a statistic that said half the worlds population has never even used a telephone.. hard to believe isn't it.
innit!

#15New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:31:04
@kaydoh Said

this is a bit of topic.. but following what Treebee said.. I read a statistic that said half the worlds population has never even used a telephone.. hard to believe isn't it.

My last job I was targeted to make 100 calls a day.. I found that funny..
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs