Music

Have Your Parents Influenced You?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
xxhelenaxx On July 20, 2007

Edmonton,
#1New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 03:59:50
I hate to say it, but my parents have influenced me SO much in the music department. They have so many old punk and rock albums. Its awesome! They have bands like misfits and the SEx Pistols. My dad has hundreds of awesome albums and my parents always let me listen to them from such a young age. I grew up listening to that before any of it was cool. People dont believe me though, becaus thats said all the time.

anyway, is anyone else like this? Do your parents influence you? Or do they make you want to listen to a completely different genre than them because you hate their musical choices?
Danger_Mouse On June 29, 2017

Christchurch, New Zealand
#2New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 04:04:28
I have a very eclective music taste due to my parents! I grew up with Led Zep, Pink Floyd, David Bowie and The Stranglers. Coupled with my own love of The Beatles and more modern rock bands my CD collection is a little weird!
Forget_About_Me On June 22, 2014
Victory is mine!

, Canada
#3New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 04:07:16
Definitely, I like a lot of stuff my parents listen to. My mom listens to mostly 50s and 60s music and my dad listens to mostly 70s, and I like to listen to all of those too.
xxdarkestdesirexx On April 14, 2014

A ballroom, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 04:11:04
My parents hate the music i listern to. they like classical stuff I listern to punk and death metal. have done since i was bout 11-ish.

garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#5New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 06:24:11
Nup. Not really.

I mean I dont mind most of the stuff mum listens to but nyeh I'll listen to anything pretty much
ashcutie18 On August 17, 2018

San Antonio, Texas
#6New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 07:26:33
My parents have influenced me a lot but not in a positive way.

My parents are so dumb and incompetent that they are exactly what I don't want to be.

My mother does not grasp simple concepts because she has done so many drugs for so long.

And my father makes a living with drugs, and is obsessed with getting married.

So they have influenced me to be nothing like them.

*edit* I just noticed this was in music, sorry for getting all informal....

But yeah my Dad has instilled the best music taste ever in me. I've been listening to Yes, Pink Floyd, and Steppenwolf since I was in the womb. I think my awesome taste in music is because of him
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#7New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 08:45:50
i hate to say it but my parents have influenced me in a lot of ways. some good and some not so good. music wise i adore the beatles cos of my dad listening to them. john lennon is my fave artist. mum listened to country and i find myself liking country too. with my kids though i am very different to how my parents raised us.
stefficles On January 18, 2009

Somewhere, United Kingdom
#8New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 08:49:45
We are the opposite. My parents used to listen to classical when we were younger, and our growing up and discovering music influenced them into getting out all their old stuff and getting back into the stuff they used to listen to, as well as newer stuff. So my brother has influenced the whole family into listening to phonics, rem and other bands like that.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 08:58:20
When i was growing up i would make a point to not like anything my parents liked

So i dont think they influenced me, if anything the bands they liked had to try harder to impress me. I wanted my own niche not thiers.

But that was a very stupid attitude when we are talking about the likes of Bowie and Hendrix and the Doors and the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan - i felt a right muppet for ignoring them all for so many years because of my snobbery against my parents.
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#10New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 09:30:38
My parents listened to a lot of country when i was growing up, some right depressive stuff like Patsy Cline and Lynn Anderson [rose garden] ----- i like a bit of Kenny Rogers but thats it for me countrywise, the rest is for when the gin comes out
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#11New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 09:34:32
When I was growing up my mother listened to Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, The Clash, Thin Lizzy etc etc

Needless to say I like rock, punk, grunge etc etc music above everything else, although I still do like other genres of music
jinters On March 01, 2010

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
#12New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 09:41:52
My parents listened to quite a lot of rock"n"roll when i was growing up, i wouldn't say i was influenced by it though, i like all sorts of music but prefer "dancie" kind of music, stuff with a good beat that makes you want to get up and move lol, i think it also depends on what kind of mood i'm in as to what i want to listen to at the time.
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#13New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 09:53:56
Hell no.
My parents hate my music. And probably hate the music I first started off listening to...

That just makes it all so much better.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 11:05:29
My music taste is completely different from my parents. cos they're from the caribbean, so they listen to a lot of reggae and soca music. I used to listen to it when I was younger, but now I listen to mainly rock and indie music.
Erlend On July 29, 2009

Deleted

Troms?, Norway
#15New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 12:22:19
I'm pretty sure I would still have discovered Dylan, CCR, Dire Straits and Pink Floyd without the help of my parents, but you never know... Still, most of the music I listen to they don't get at all.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs