Music

Get Educated.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
mrmexico25 On November 19, 2019

Dallas, Texas
#1New Post! Nov 25, 2009 @ 02:15:38
When people listen to music, nine times out of ten they're listening to the wrong things. People associate themselves with a particular style or sound of music, and in effect "hear what they want to hear".

I've been reading a lot of posts lately about people obsessing over bands like Evanessence, MCR, The Used, etc...

These bands have little, to zero talent what-so-ever. As a matter of fact, they're products of demographics (the same argument used a lot of the times for the author of the Twilight saga) - produced and targeted towards a certain audience. The fact that these bands, as well as others of course, make any money at all is bewildering. Many people think that this is "my own opinion" and I "shouldn't tell people what to listen to", but it isn't. These are facts. The Jonas Brothers, for example, are some of the worst musicians and "song writers" ever, yet they sell millions of albums due to their Disney relations and 10 year old fan base. This is how it allllll starts.

When most people listen to music, the first thing they listen for is lyrics, and if they can somehow relate to them. Personally, lyrics should not be considered a part of music. Rarely do lyrics add anything of technical or musical support to the song. Voice, however is something completely different. Ones voice, tone and pitch is what adds musical support to the song, not the words coming out. You can sing la la la la laaaa as your chorus, and if it sounds good it'll accomplish just as much as saying something, in effect, nothing at all.

Also, what people listen to while determining if the song is good or not is if its catchy. Most people now days are tying to broaden their horizons by staying away from mainstream music, there by not giving into the whole "pop" sensations. Pop doesn't necessarily refer to Brittney Spears or Jonas Brothers style in music, but more in the songs ability to be catchy. This applies to ALL genres. Punk, in this sense can be pop. Jazz, in this sense can be pop. Catchy-ness is not a determining factor in if a song is good, it simply applies to pop sensibilities. If you don't understand music for what it really is - tempo, time signature, motifs, chord progressions, keys, etc... - then you're listening to the wrong things. Until you get educated, you wont change, and you won't appreciate music for what it really is.
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#2New Post! Nov 25, 2009 @ 02:18:26

Well then..
salmiak On February 26, 2010

Deleted

near Denver, Colorado
#3New Post! Nov 25, 2009 @ 02:27:45
I am a man of 61 years and always loved rock music. The music I love and listen to has to touch my soul, not only my ears. For the last 6 years, I've been obsessed with Tori Amos, Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, Evanescence ( A brilliant song writer, and for me my #1 female singer of all time). Now I have found a new love in Country music. The band Gloriana.
Sweet_Merry On October 01, 2023
One day. . . I will

Building my Castles in the Sky
#4New Post! Nov 25, 2009 @ 02:33:51
But if I don't like the words why would I like the music? If there are no words then I can hear the music.
Voice might be perfect, music might be beautiful but if the words don't get me or they are not understood, then the Whole Thing doesn't mean a thing to me.
Isn't music personal? Shouldn't we be able to like different things?
I am not musically inclined, I don't know much about it. I think I know when I don't like it though so that is all I have to go on.
salmiak On February 26, 2010

Deleted

near Denver, Colorado
#5New Post! Nov 25, 2009 @ 02:45:57
^ Very true. Some songs, with the right lyrics can touch you deep and open doors you once had closed. The bell rings, the key fits the lock, and it opens in a memory, or your life in the present. The song is now in your heart and mind for ever.
Some songs make my ears bleed, no music, just noise, and then, the ones I love make my ears smile, with beautiful music, lyrics you can understand and feel.

Dallas, Texas
#6New Post! Nov 25, 2009 @ 02:53:38
It's not the lyrics that make music great. For example: Bob Dylan. He's a great writer and almost everyone can agree with that. As far as his musical abilities go, they're very limited. His voice is terrible, and he''s mediocre at guitar..

People call him the poet of rock n roll, and that's about all he is - a poet.

Evenessence? Best female singer ever? Wow
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#7New Post! Nov 25, 2009 @ 02:56:52
@mrmexico25 Said

It's not the lyrics that make music great. For example: Bob Dylan. He's a great writer and almost everyone can agree with that. As far as his musical abilities go, they're very limited. His voice is terrible, and he''s mediocre at guitar..

People call him the poet of rock n roll, and that's about all he is - a poet.

Evenessence? Best female singer ever? Wow

And yet all of this is a matter of opinion...

Dallas, Texas
#8New Post! Nov 25, 2009 @ 03:06:07
Quote:
Many people think that this is "my own opinion" and I "shouldn't tell people what to listen to", but it isn't.

like i said...

Dallas, Texas
#9New Post! Nov 25, 2009 @ 03:06:58
Also, in my opinion, its a fact that the girl from evenessence isn't even close to the best female singer ever.

not even top ten
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 12:20:04
@mrmexico25 Said

When people listen to music, nine times out of ten they're listening to the wrong things. People associate themselves with a particular style or sound of music, and in effect "hear what they want to hear".

I've been reading a lot of posts lately about people obsessing over bands like Evanessence, MCR, The Used, etc...

These bands have little, to zero talent what-so-ever. As a matter of fact, they're products of demographics (the same argument used a lot of the times for the author of the Twilight saga) - produced and targeted towards a certain audience. The fact that these bands, as well as others of course, make any money at all is bewildering. Many people think that this is "my own opinion" and I "shouldn't tell people what to listen to", but it isn't. These are facts. The Jonas Brothers, for example, are some of the worst musicians and "song writers" ever, yet they sell millions of albums due to their Disney relations and 10 year old fan base. This is how it allllll starts.

When most people listen to music, the first thing they listen for is lyrics, and if they can somehow relate to them. Personally, lyrics should not be considered a part of music. Rarely do lyrics add anything of technical or musical support to the song. Voice, however is something completely different. Ones voice, tone and pitch is what adds musical support to the song, not the words coming out. You can sing la la la la laaaa as your chorus, and if it sounds good it'll accomplish just as much as saying something, in effect, nothing at all.

Also, what people listen to while determining if the song is good or not is if its catchy. Most people now days are tying to broaden their horizons by staying away from mainstream music, there by not giving into the whole "pop" sensations. Pop doesn't necessarily refer to Brittney Spears or Jonas Brothers style in music, but more in the songs ability to be catchy. This applies to ALL genres. Punk, in this sense can be pop. Jazz, in this sense can be pop. Catchy-ness is not a determining factor in if a song is good, it simply applies to pop sensibilities. If you don't understand music for what it really is - tempo, time signature, motifs, chord progressions, keys, etc... - then you're listening to the wrong things. Until you get educated, you wont change, and you won't appreciate music for what it really is.

I agree with some of what you said. I don't think there's anything wrong with bands like MCR who do write for a specific demographic, music is a business afterall. However I do agree that although lyrics can be important in a song, some of the best music I've ever heard has been by a band who use the voice as just another instrument, rather than using it as the main part of the music.

I think everyone understands music in a certain way though. I see some of it through looking at the tempo, chord progressions,etc because that's what I'm trained to do when looking at a piece of music before I play it, plus if you study music then you're going to have to look past the obvious things sometimes. But then again I also focus on the lyrics with other types of music, it depends. That's not to say that the obvious things don't matter though, it's just how you understand the music you listen to. The great thing about music to me is that people can listen to the same piece of music and each take away something different from it.
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#11New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 12:45:38
Robert Zimmerman (Dylan) was not a rock artist, he should perhaps be catorigized as a contemporary folk musician. If that is so a certain amount of primitive instrumentalism may be forgiven!
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 12:56:53
I just like what I like if that makes sense. Some artists have a song I absolutely adore and another I detest. I don't obsess over one band and say all their stuff is great, if I think it's s*** I'll say so.
PhoenixNebula On February 25, 2010
TFS' village idiot.

Deleted
Banned

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 13:01:23
@mrmexico25 Said

I am more educated in music than any other subject, and what it interesting with the subject is that strictly speaking there is no right or wrong. Some music has obvious talent behind it, and some doesn't or has little. The whole idea of music is expression and enjoyment. If people enjoy listening to something which you think is "wrong" then it's up to them and not at all wrong, right?
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 13:03:23
Yeah its like trying to say what is and isnt art.

You can be as technical as you like but it doesnt actually mean anything when the product creates a reaction good or bad.
CSIYorkshire On December 11, 2009

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 13:09:44
I have a very varied taste in music, which my sister constantly ribs me about, but then I rib her for her about what she listens to as to me its a just noise! I just don't get how people can listen to some metal bands where you just cannot understand what the hell they are "singing" about!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs