The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Health & Fitness

Did you know the Pill can kill your sex drive?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
claire On September 15, 2009

Perth, Australia
#1New Post! Mar 05, 2007 @ 12:19:09
The Pill is a winner in so many ways. But new research shows it may have an unsexy side-effect.

A recent study by Boston University in the US suggests that the Pill dampens a womens desire by raising the levels of a certain protein in her body, which blocks the production of testostrone.

While not all doctor's agree that testostrone is linked to our sex drives, the study suggests that lowered testostrone can impair our ability to become aroused.

Thats a big deal to me, especially when I consider the Pill is the most popular contraception for women, with around 34 per cent of fertile Australian women are using it.

So why don't doctor's warn patients about this side effect?
Could it be that many doctors haven't known about this side effect until recently?
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 05, 2007 @ 12:20:49
most docs warn you it can go one way or the other, i have always been advised about changes in libido.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#3New Post! Mar 05, 2007 @ 12:26:56
i always find it astonishing how much chemicals and hormones affect women,
men just really don't see it in themselves.

i've seen the pill have dramatic effects on a girl,
but so many different effects it's hard to find a direct corelation in my own mind.
i know that there's a wide range of different kinds pills of varying strenths that girls i know have had to take in order to find the one that best 'fits' them.

it seems it really needs to blend in with you're own individual body chemistry.
if anyone has problems with theirs the should ask their doctor for an alternative.

as for sex drive, i've see different pills highten and lower it quite a bit. depending on the girl and the pill.

.............i'm all about the girl talk this morning amn't i?
sweetcorruption On June 07, 2007

Vilseck, Germany
#4New Post! Mar 05, 2007 @ 12:28:11
anything with hormones in it can alter your sex drive.. but you know what will deffinately kill it? a screaming baby at 3am
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 05, 2007 @ 12:28:19
Never had any problems with it. If anything its gone the other way
misunderstood On June 24, 2014
Persuasive Madam!

How about you come find me....
#6New Post! Mar 05, 2007 @ 12:31:31
I was warned too when I started taking it

But it makes me way hornier anyway
pickway On February 16, 2011

Maidstone, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Mar 05, 2007 @ 12:56:34
Plays havoc with mine......sorry
emo_nick On November 19, 2007

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Mar 05, 2007 @ 13:52:13
good thing im not on it then isnt it.lol

Perth, Australia
#9New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 07:18:37
When i was in high school, during health class we discussed the benefits and side effects of the Pill. After having my brain scarred by all the things i heard, i decided there and then that no matter what, i wouldn't go on the Pill.

I didn't have sex until i was in my late teens and even then i refused to go on the Pill.

My sister and all her friends are total rabbits, they have the implanon implant, its a small rod they insert into your arm and it gets replaced every year or so.

I remember when my sister first got her implanon done, she got her period for like six months straight. Obviously it wasn't working as it should, ao she got it removed. After she got pregnant she had another implanon inserted, this tim it worked fine.

its just funny how different hormonal changes effect things like the Pill? And Im suprised by how many people out there, believe that if their partner is on the Pill, they don't have to use a condom!
Did half the World fall asleep during sex ed?
dragonwars On July 30, 2009

Wellington, New Zealand
#10New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 07:22:21
@claire Said
When i was in high school, during health class we discussed the benefits and side effects of the Pill. After having my brain scarred by all the things i heard, i decided there and then that no matter what, i wouldn't go on the Pill.

I didn't have sex until i was in my late teens and even then i refused to go on the Pill.

My sister and all her friends are total rabbits, they have the implanon implant, its a small rod they insert into your arm and it gets replaced every year or so.

I remember when my sister first got her implanon done, she got her period for like six months straight. Obviously it wasn't working as it should, ao she got it removed. After she got pregnant she had another implanon inserted, this tim it worked fine.

its just funny how different hormonal changes effect things like the Pill? And Im suprised by how many people out there, believe that if their partner is on the Pill, they don't have to use a condom!
Did half the World fall asleep during sex ed?

Why would you get a rod inserted into your arm?

Perth, Australia
#11New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 07:36:28
dragonwars:
Quote:

Why do you get a cast put on you're leg when its broken?
Why do you drive instead of walk?

Having a rod in your arm is just like taking the Pill, except in a more extreme way.
Its not just for people who don't want to get pregnant, its also used for girls who have irregular periods, hormone imbalances etc.

Other times the Implanon it a contant stream of medication, which is great for those out there who can't take the Pill, for whatever reason, or the Pill didn't work, or they forget to take the Pill.

The Implanon pretty much releases hormones when the body requires it.

Thats why people get this rod into there arm!

Wellington, New Zealand
#12New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 07:53:15
@claire Said
dragonwars:

Why do you get a cast put on you're leg when its broken?
Why do you drive instead of walk?

Having a rod in your arm is just like taking the Pill, except in a more extreme way.
Its not just for people who don't want to get pregnant, its also used for girls who have irregular periods, hormone imbalances etc.

Other times the Implanon it a contant stream of medication, which is great for those out there who can't take the Pill, for whatever reason, or the Pill didn't work, or they forget to take the Pill.

The Implanon pretty much releases hormones when the body requires it.

Thats why people get this rod into there arm!

O it just sounded really extreme as a measure to go on the pill...
bellestrange On March 08, 2012
Coo Coo Kachoo

South Australia, Australia
#13New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 07:57:26
@dragonwars Said

It's not a big rod you goober Hahahaha

It's only a little over an inch long and lasts for 3 years. I wouldn't get it because it makes you bleed all over the place (as mentioned above by Claire).

Perth, Australia
#14New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 07:59:50
Most of the girls I know have the Implanon. Its not as extreme as you may think or as it sounds.

All that happens it, the doctor makes a small cut into your arm and then put the implant inside the tissue, thats it. You can't even tell that its there.

Its just a case of convinience, its easier and more effective in most cases rather than the Pill.

Wellington, New Zealand
#15New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 08:03:51
@bellestrange Said
It's not a big rod you goober Hahahaha

It's only a little over an inch long and lasts for 3 years. I wouldn't get it because it makes you bleed all over the place (as mentioned above by Claire).

my image of implanton:

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs