AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#1New Post! Aug 27, 2013 @ 19:20:07
That got your attention didn't it?

Why did you click on this thread?

How do you feel about the term "Colored People" or the variations of it...and why?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Aug 27, 2013 @ 19:30:47
Personally I am sick of those White-Blacks! everyone knows those colored people are inferior... and homosexual!

They are not like us Black-Whites !

We're the best!!
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#3New Post! Aug 27, 2013 @ 19:30:26
@chaski Said

Personally I am sick of those White-Blacks! everyone knows those colored people are inferior... and homosexual!

They are not like us Black-Whites !

We're the best!!

Is that Star Trek?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#4New Post! Aug 27, 2013 @ 19:38:28
@someone_else_again Said

Is that Star Trek?

Yes... and the picture is actually a lie!

The White-Blacks do not have bigger... hydraulics ... they photo-shopped that picture...
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#5New Post! Aug 27, 2013 @ 19:46:35
@chaski Said

Yes... and the picture is actually a lie!

The White-Blacks do not have bigger... hydraulics ... they photo-shopped that picture...

Given that all generalizations are false anyway, I suppose it's possible that he does. But I think his pants are just tighter.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#6New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 04:47:42
@someone_else_again Said

How do you feel about the term "Colored People" or the variations of it...and why?

As I understand it the term nigger/nigra (from the Spanish Negro meaning black) was a non-pejorative word used in reference to slaves whose origin was sub-Saharan Africa. In the beginning of the 20th century nigger came to be considered a slur and the term colored was adopted. (e.g. NAACP). Colored was used until the mid 20th century when the civil rights movement started and the term black became the accepted term. By the end of the 20th century the term African American, although cumbersome, became the accepted term. This is an appropriate description in that the majority of Americans of African decent tend to be genetically different from the African that they descended from.

If, in fact, the human race originated in Africa we are all, technically, African Americans. Personally I do not see my self as a European American; just an American.

(Note: Apparently the word black and nigger were use interchangeably as far back as the 18th century)

(Note: In a recent census document I filled out after the question about my race I was given choices such as white, African American, Hispanic (I don’t even think that is a race) etc. I checked the box labeled ‘other’ and wrote in human. They actually sent someone to my house to determine my race; as if that is somehow important. Anyway I have been officially declared white.)

(Note: I wonder if there are people in Europe who call themselves African Europeans.)
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#7New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 04:55:56
I'll be honest. I have no problem with "colored people".

However, I act different around them. Not on purpose, I like them all the same as any other person. But I get scared/nervous, because at the back of my mind, I think "They think I'm racist. Act normal! ACT NORMAL! Oh no, my face is turning red. They know I'm acting different!"
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#8New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 16:13:58
@Erimitus Said

As I understand it the term nigger/nigra (from the Spanish Negro meaning black) was a non-pejorative word used in reference to slaves whose origin was sub-Saharan Africa. In the beginning of the 20th century nigger came to be considered a slur and the term colored was adopted. (e.g. NAACP). Colored was used until the mid 20th century when the civil rights movement started and the term black became the accepted term. By the end of the 20th century the term African American, although cumbersome, became the accepted term. This is an appropriate description in that the majority of Americans of African decent tend to be genetically different from the African that they descended from.

If, in fact, the human race originated in Africa we are all, technically, African Americans. Personally I do not see my self as a European American; just an American.

(Note: Apparently the word black and nigger were use interchangeably as far back as the 18th century)

(Note: In a recent census document I filled out after the question about my race I was given choices such as white, African American, Hispanic (I don’t even think that is a race) etc. I checked the box labeled ‘other’ and wrote in human. They actually sent someone to my house to determine my race; as if that is somehow important. Anyway I have been officially declared white.)

(Note: I wonder if there are people in Europe who call themselves African Europeans.)

Interesting history lesson but...do you feel that calling a person "colored" is okay? Is it offensive? What exactly does it mean to you?
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#9New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 16:14:24
@Grasshopper Said

I'll be honest. I have no problem with "colored people".

However, I act different around them. Not on purpose, I like them all the same as any other person. But I get scared/nervous, because at the back of my mind, I think "They think I'm racist. Act normal! ACT NORMAL! Oh no, my face is turning red. They know I'm acting different!"

I as asking about the term, Grassy...not the "people."
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#10New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 16:20:12
@someone_else_again Said

I as asking about the term, Grassy...not the "people."

Put'cher tongue back in yo mouth before it dries out!
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#11New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 16:27:59
It doesn't bother me. It's okay to say "white people", so it really shouldn't be a problem. Plus, it's annoying when people call them "African Americans". Because most likely, they've never lived in Africa. And there are "colored people" from other places, like Romania, South America, Mexico, and who knows where else?

It's just a description, not an insult.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#12New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 16:52:47
@Grasshopper Said

It doesn't bother me. It's okay to say "white people", so it really shouldn't be a problem. Plus, it's annoying when people call them "African Americans". Because most likely, they've never lived in Africa. And there are "colored people" from other places, like Romania, South America, Mexico, and who knows where else?

It's just a description, not an insult.

That's all I wondered. I'm not looking for right or wrong here, just feelings and thoughts. There are some very different camps and I wondered which was the majority.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#13New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 16:54:29
@someone_else_again Said

yes

Quote:

to see colored people.

Quote:

"Colored People" sounds like someone painted themself in different colors.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#14New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 17:00:20
@Erimitus Said

This is bulls***.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#15New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 17:00:45
@jonnythan Said

This is bulls***.

How do ya figure?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply