The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Science

1960's concern of machines taking jobs away from humans...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#16New Post! Jul 06, 2014 @ 06:10:53
@twilitezone911 Said

eb- is talking about a twilight zone's episode by rod serling.

a thing about the machines

A repairman has paid a house call to Bartlett Finchley, who is having trouble with the TV, and notes that he should not damage his appliances (he smashed the screen of the TV for a mild inconvenience). It turns out he is an ill-tempered gourmet magazine critic who reviles humanity, though he seems to be simultaneously lonely. He's as inept with machines as he is with people. Frustrated, he constantly abuses machines and starts to think machines are conspiring against him. The people he tells about this write him off as paranoid, but eventually every machine in his house (including his car) turns on him. His typewriter types the message, "GET OUT OF HERE FINCHLEY." The TV shows the same message on the screen, and a voice on the phone speaks the same words when he tries to make a call. His electric razor rises into the air to attack him, and slithers down the stairs in pursuit of him. Finchley runs from the house and is chased by his driverless car (a 1939 Lagonda coupe). The car chases him to his pool and pushes him in. He sinks to the bottom and drowns. When the police pull him out of the water, they cannot explain how he could sink to the bottom when he was not weighted down (normally, a body would float), nor could they explain the car near the pool. They theorize he may have had a heart attack.

not of my favorites, but there is no video to show you. after you see the episode - give more to think that this description above.

More this one:
Starting 3 mins in "How do you 'buy' guidance for your children?"

Tigerstar7 On February 03, 2024

#17New Post! Jul 06, 2014 @ 20:13:37
My dream job as a kid was to be a hand-drawing cartographer. Then Google came along and ruined everything. So I'm not too happy at machines.

, New Zealand
#18New Post! Jul 07, 2014 @ 11:02:44
@Tigerstar7 Said

My dream job as a kid was to be a hand-drawing cartographer. Then Google came along and ruined everything. So I'm not too happy at machines.

Hmm....Metallica....80's...... around that time when Dungeons & Dragons was still played as a table top game.

More fun fleshing out the dungeon maps then running through the campaign itself?

I think that's also the case with a lot of video games nowadays - More popular one's feature excessive micromanaging so that they become more of a building hobby and not just simply a challenge.

There's always level design for video games however - Making up your own territory and when it comes to just building levels the software is pretty easy to figure out.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Jul 07, 2014 @ 15:54:42
thing is.. if machines can do all the manual work and most of the brainy work then they'll be no need for the vast majority of people ..so there might be an elite few enjoying the output of machines ...the rest will have to disappear somehow
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#20New Post! Jul 07, 2014 @ 16:05:40
@offbeat Said

thing is.. if machines can do all the manual work and most of the brainy work then they'll be no need for the vast majority of people ..so there might be an elite few enjoying the output of machines ...the rest will have to disappear somehow

We will just become extinct. And (mechanical) life will go on.
Its simple really.

What purpose would we serve after we created machines of higher intelligence and capability? Other than possible salve labour.

london, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Jul 07, 2014 @ 16:10:43
@Hypnotica Said

We will just become extinct. And (mechanical) life will go on.
Its simple really.

What purpose would we serve after we created machines of higher intelligence and capability? Other than possible salve labour.

well ..I think the nasties that rule the world wont allow themselves to lose control .. but they wont need their human servants anymore so I imagine the population of humans will be cut .one way or another...lets face it..they only suffer us because we provide them with stuff at an affordable cost.
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#22New Post! Jul 07, 2014 @ 16:22:37
@offbeat Said

well ..I think the nasties that rule the world wont allow themselves to lose control .. but they wont need their human servants anymore so I imagine the population of humans will be cut .one way or another...lets face it..they only suffer us because we provide them with stuff at an affordable cost.

Well once we are extinct you wont have that misfortune.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#23New Post! Jul 07, 2014 @ 16:25:06
@Electric_Banana Said

A few trips around the block before it has a breakdown is always fun.

Also 04:13 - My kinda woman! "Hairbrushes are only for those who feel there's something worth trying to impress."

is it style, or is it messy?

london, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Jul 07, 2014 @ 16:26:24
@Hypnotica Said

Well once we are extinct you wont have that misfortune.

best thing that could happen to this planet ...and any other planet we've got our greedy eyes on.

, New Zealand
#25New Post! Jul 07, 2014 @ 22:34:11
@Willi Said

is it style, or is it messy?

Not sure but it's cute!
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#26New Post! Jul 08, 2014 @ 20:30:55
@Electric_Banana Said

Yeah but I've been turned away from a lot of jobs simply as I can't type as fast as those machines.

Exactly what are these machines typing? And how?

, New Zealand
#27New Post! Jul 08, 2014 @ 20:38:45
@someone_else_again Said

Exactly what are these machines typing? And how?

Sitting at desks
Typing on computer keyboards
Using fingers
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#28New Post! Jul 08, 2014 @ 20:45:07
@Electric_Banana Said

Sitting at desks
Typing on computer keyboards
Using fingers

Those machines are called "people."

, New Zealand
#29New Post! Jul 08, 2014 @ 20:56:14
@someone_else_again Said

Those machines are called "people."

Well...sticking to the plot - yes.

But I do find myself slightly unsettled from Uncanny Valley quite often.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs