Rants & Raves

"Agree, or You're Not a Friend"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#1New Post! Dec 26, 2010 @ 16:12:49
Really? People actually say this and think this way. A person has to agree with whatever they do or they do not count them as a friend. They allow no differing perspectives into their lives from their friends, that or the friends are simply not allowed to voice the perspectives.

What good is it to only be agreed with every step of the way? Can people not see how healthy it is to take in disagreements on choices they are facing? Can they not see how incredibly helpful it would be, how much wider of perspective it would give them to view those prospective choices from? Those who disagree (respectfully) with them should be counted as the best of friends, and yet for some people it's only the ones who nod and agree with everything they do that will be treasured.

It's sad really.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#2New Post! Dec 26, 2010 @ 16:16:00
I agree (oops, lol). I have alot of friends that I'm scared of disagreeing with. It'd just start a fight. But I do have some that are honest, and let ME be honest. I love them best.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 26, 2010 @ 16:16:38
@chisa96 Said

Really? People actually say this and think this way. A person has to agree with whatever they do or they do not count them as a friend. They allow no differing perspectives into their lives from their friends, that or the friends are simply not allowed to voice the perspectives.

What good is it to only be agreed with every step of the way? Can people not see how healthy it is to take in disagreements on choices they are facing? Can they not see how incredibly helpful it would be, how much wider of perspective it would give them to view those prospective choices from? Those who disagree (respectfully) with them should be counted as the best of friends, and yet for some people it's only the ones who nod and agree with everything they do that will be treasured.

It's sad really.

i'm sorry but i totally disagree with this
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#4New Post! Dec 26, 2010 @ 16:18:06
I haven't met anyone like this in real life as usually that person will end up putting distance between us and then we never see each other again...

But it's funny how it happens online. People will delete you, block you, and never argue against you in a another thread or ever post against you, because they carry on that grudge.

I'm sorry, every thread to me is new, I'll agree with you in one and then disagree with you in another.

It's silly.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#5New Post! Dec 26, 2010 @ 16:18:11
My friends and I don't always agree, but the important thing is to be supported and supported when not all agree.
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#6New Post! Dec 26, 2010 @ 16:20:45
@boobagins Said

I haven't met anyone like this in real life as usually that person will end up putting distance between us and then we never see each other again...

But it's funny how it happens online. People will delete you, block you, and never argue against you in a another thread or ever post against you, because they carry on that grudge.

I'm sorry, every thread to me is new, I'll agree with you in one and then disagree with you in another.

It's silly.

I know right?? It's hard to keep a web friend! It's like junior high all over again. BUT, there are some people on here that it's safe to disagree and be honest with.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#7New Post! Dec 26, 2010 @ 16:26:28
@Grasshopper Said

I agree (oops, lol). I have alot of friends that I'm scared of disagreeing with. It'd just start a fight. But I do have some that are honest, and let ME be honest. I love them best.

This is not to say anything against you because I don't really know...but I absolutely hate this trait in other people.

I hate people that change their opinion, stances and views to accommodate another person for the SAKE of agreement. Unless you are rightfully persuaded, if you do that, I will never honestly believe if you really believe it or are just going with the flow and changing you opinion to the popular norm.

It screams falky person and someone who will agree with you, but then turn around and agree with someone else on the exact opposite. It's like you have no backbone.

Again, nothing to do with you personally grasshopper, just the trait you mention in your post.

I was having the wikileaks argument with someone recently and this is exactly how the conversation went:

Me: "I can't believe how people are talking about Julian Assange. They're calling him a terrorist, anarchist, they want him executed.

Girl: "that bastard, I'm glad he got arrested, does he really think that he could get away with doing that?"

Me: "But he hasn't done anything illegal, no proof has been found that he has broken any laws as of yet, plus he got arrested on a completely different matter. I think it's a smear campaign against him."

Girl: "that poor guy."

Me:

My opinion of this girl is now forever tainted.
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#8New Post! Dec 26, 2010 @ 16:38:21
@boobagins Said

This is not to say anything against you because I don't really know...but I absolutely hate this trait in other people.

I hate people that change their opinion, stances and views to accommodate another person for the SAKE of agreement. Unless you are rightfully persuaded, if you do that, I will never honestly believe if you really believe it or are just going with the flow and changing you opinion to the popular norm.

It screams falky person and someone who will agree with you, but then turn around and agree with someone else on the exact opposite. It's like you have no backbone.

Again, nothing to do with you personally grasshopper, just the trait you mention in your post.

I was having the wikileaks argument with someone recently and this is exactly how the conversation went:

Me: "I can't believe how people are talking about Julian Assange. They're calling him a terrorist, anarchist, they want him executed.

Girl: "that bastard, I'm glad he got arrested, does he really think that he could get away with doing that?"

Me: "But he hasn't done anything illegal, no proof has been found that he has broken any laws as of yet, plus he got arrested on a completely different matter. I think it's a smear campaign against him."

Girl: "that poor guy."

Me:

My opinion of this girl is now forever tainted.

I'm not offended at all. I AM like that if I feel tension. Or I'm afraid they'll leave me or make fun. I don't know when I'm telling the truth either.

BUT, if a person is open minded, I AM straight forward with them.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#9New Post! Dec 26, 2010 @ 16:40:37
I've known people like this and I guess I should point out, we are no longer friends.

I try to respect people, no matter their opinion, beliefs etc. As long as they are not hurting anyone, they do not have to have the same thoughts, opinions as I do.

I can see having close to the same morals in order to be friends. It can be hard to be close friends with someone who greatly varies on their morals.

I have friend who do not believe God, I have friends of all different religions, I have friends who think different than I do about capital punishment, abortion and things of that nature. They do not have to think how I do. Its a matter of respect, you can hold a different opinion but still respect another person.

What a boring world if all of us only had friends who were molds of us. I like to learn new things, gain different insight etc and I can't do this if all my friends are like me.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#10New Post! Dec 26, 2010 @ 18:44:01
There are a few things that friends have to agree on, in order to be friends..

Things like "We won't screw each others husbands".. and "We won't steal from each other, or hide our drugs and guns in your daughters bedroom.

Little disagreements are to be expected.. things like "what to you think of that person at the office?" shouldn't make or break a friendship.
thequietman On August 29, 2018
Scapegrace

Rusty Bullet Hole, Washington
#11New Post! Dec 26, 2010 @ 18:46:15
I agree.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#12New Post! Dec 26, 2010 @ 18:54:00
Yeah if I can't be myself with someone, I'd rather not be bothered with them at all. - Their loss, not mine.
Sagal On February 27, 2011

Seattle, Washington
#13New Post! Dec 29, 2010 @ 21:56:58
its not a bad thing when people agree with each other, but I hate it when they dont their own opinions wether or not those opnions are like mine. I have some friends who are so much like we agree on just about everything and I love them. I also have friends that I argue with about many issues, it doesnt mean I love them any less.
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#14New Post! Dec 29, 2010 @ 22:02:58
@chisa96 Said

It's sad really.

people like that should not have friends
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs