Queen cancels staff party

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#1New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 16:54:19
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11542137

I just found this interesting. You guys can pay the for the pope to visit, but the queens staff can't get a christmas party. (said tongue in cheek)
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 16:55:41
@plebian_angel Said

I just found this interesting. You guys can pay the pope to visit, but the queens staff can't get a christmas party.

I don't think it is that as such. I think it's more to do with the fact that whilst we can afford it the Queen is showing that everyone has to make sacrifices in the current economic climate and is leading by example.

Good on her I say.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#3New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 16:56:11
@jmo Said

I don't think it is that as such. I think it's more to do with the fact that whilst we can afford it the Queen is showing that everyone has to make sacrifices in the current economic climate and is leading by example.

Good on her I say.

yeah I know, just the first thought I had when I saw the headline.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#4New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 16:58:52
And wouldn't it put more money into the economy by having one since it would have to be catered and all that?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#5New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 17:01:47
Well it would take ?50,000 out of the public purse at a time when we are trying to reduce the amount of state spending.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#6New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 17:05:36
@jmo Said

Well it would take ?50,000 out of the public purse at a time when we are trying to reduce the amount of state spending.

Here they are just forcing state employees to take unpaid time off to balance the budget. I guess forgoing one party is better than that.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#7New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 17:09:43
@plebian_angel Said

Here they are just forcing state employees to take unpaid time off to balance the budget. I guess forgoing one party is better than that.

Much better than that.

Unfortunately it appears as though many public sector jobs will be cut. It's quite scary up here in Scotland where we have a higher proportion of people employed by the state than anywhere else in the country which has created a lot of ill-feeling.

There is an attitude of 'Scotland is going to suffer because of a party the English elected' as we didn't vote for the Conservative party up here.

There was a Scottish radio show about football which did a phone in about who Scottish people were going to support in the World Cup. One of the people they phoned was Craig Brown (former Scotland manager) who said he was going to support England 'Until they forced us to be governed by a party we didn't vote for' with genuine anger in his voice. A lot of us feel like that up here and it's because it will be Scotland who suffer the most due to our reliance and love of the public sector.

Sorry, went off on a bit of a rant there.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#8New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 17:11:44
@jmo Said

Much better than that.

Unfortunately it appears as though many public sector jobs will be cut. It's quite scary up here in Scotland where we have a higher proportion of people employed by the state than anywhere else in the country which has created a lot of ill-feeling.

There is an attitude of 'Scotland is going to suffer because of a party the English elected' as we didn't vote for the Conservative party up here.

There was a Scottish radio show about football which did a phone in about who Scottish people were going to support in the World Cup. One of the people they phoned was Craig Brown (former Scotland manager) who said he was going to support England 'Until they forced us to be governed by a party we didn't vote for' with genuine anger in his voice. A lot of us feel like that up here and it's because it will be Scotland who suffer the most due to our reliance and love of the public sector.

Sorry, went off on a bit of a rant there.

I think with all that going on, you're due a rant. I can see why some people want Scotland to break away from England. i don't know enough about it to really get it all, but that's the basic version of what I read all over the net.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 17:12:38
@plebian_angel Said

I just found this interesting. You guys can pay the for the pope to visit, but the queens staff can't get a christmas party. (said tongue in cheek)

I actually completely agree with you Especially since this is not a catholic country. . . and not really that much of a christian country either!
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#10New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 17:14:00
@hedkandi1984_21 Said

I actually completely agree with you Especially since this is not a catholic country. . . and not really that much of a christian country either!

It's just the first thought I had. I'm in a weird mood humor wise today.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 17:17:26
@plebian_angel Said

It's just the first thought I had. I'm in a weird mood humor wise today.

weird humour is the best!
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 17:23:35
Miserable b****, I wanna see Lizzie GET DOWN!
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#13New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 17:24:21
@x_Laura_x Said

Miserable b****, I wanna see Lizzie GET DOWN!

That would be a sight to see
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 17:26:32
@plebian_angel Said

That would be a sight to see

GET LOW!
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Oct 15, 2010 @ 11:21:09
If a business does well it should reward employees. If it does not do so well employees should put in the kitty for things like parties and whatnot. I think this should apply across the board in all businesses particularly public sectors.

On a side not and slightly off topic, I once read that christmas is still actually banned in the UK.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs