Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 14:43:48
@NonSum Said

NS: Science is never wrong; just ask your doctor. Or, ask one of the few innovative scientific thinkers, who must come up against overwhelming scientific orthodoxy.

Thats a bad analogy. Doctors often come up against cases which are unique and defy what we thought we knew. One example was a baby girl who was found to have a chromosome disorder which was, until she was born, thought to be exclusively a male genetic disorder.

Quote:
Science admits that 'previous theories' were wrong, even idiotic; but Never what is currently held as absolute truth.

I agree but i dont get how what you say links into this next part.

Quote:
Question current science at your peril.

Unless i am grossly misunderstanding what you are saying or i am reading it entirely wrong.
NonSum On October 09, 2009

, Tennessee
#17New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 19:19:55
HiTreeBee: Thats a bad analogy. Doctors often come up against cases which are unique and defy what we thought we knew.

NS: You mean 'example,' since I was not making an "analogy."
I was alluding to the infamous "god complex" attributed to MDs. The, 'all-knowing, must be addressed with great respect and judgments never challenged,' stereotype is prevalent in common experience.

I bet you call your MD, "doctor so and so," while he addresses you simply as "tree." Sure, many of them have some competency in their field, as do most plumbers, lawyers, and babysitters. But, few other skilled workers/professionals manifest this demand for reverence. I've interacted with many ministers and priests (I was once a mortician), and found most of them to be far more approachable and "regular."

RE:NS: Science admits that 'previous theories' were wrong, even idiotic; but Never what is currently held as absolute truth.
TB: I agree but i dont get how what you say links into this next part.
RE:NS: Question current science at your peril.

NS: The link is that, what is held as "absolute, not to be questioned, truth," places anyone who does question in an awkward position. They may be seen as: ignorant, a nut, or even mentally unstable. People like the Wright brothers, or Robert Fulton, were seen as laughable cranks.

As regards science, and MDs, attacking its own questioners, take a look at the current dissing of the doctor who is simply asking for more studies into the possibility of vacines causing autisism in some children.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 19:28:07
@NonSum Said

HiTreeBee: Thats a bad analogy. Doctors often come up against cases which are unique and defy what we thought we knew.

NS: You mean 'example,' since I was not making an "analogy."
I was alluding to the infamous "god complex" attributed to MDs. The, 'all-knowing, must be addressed with great respect and judgments never challenged,' stereotype is prevalent in common experience.

I bet you call your MD, "doctor so and so," while he addresses you simply as "tree." Sure, many of them have some competency in their field, as do most plumbers, lawyers, and babysitters. But, few other skilled workers/professionals manifest this demand for reverence. I've interacted with many ministers and priests (I was once a mortician), and found most of them to be far more approachable and "regular."

RE:NS: Science admits that 'previous theories' were wrong, even idiotic; but Never what is currently held as absolute truth.
TB: I agree but i dont get how what you say links into this next part.
RE:NS: Question current science at your peril.

NS: The link is that, what is held as "absolute, not to be questioned, truth," places anyone who does question in an awkward position. They may be seen as: ignorant, a nut, or even mentally unstable. People like the Wright brothers, or Robert Fulton, were seen as laughable cranks.

As regards science, and MDs, attacking its own questioners, take a look at the current dissing of the doctor who is simply asking for more studies into the possibility of vacines causing autisism in some children.

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me. Analogy should have been example

I have worked with doctors most of my adult life and have come across only a few who were a bit like that. The older ones less so, having 40 odd years in practice teaches them to (in the words of one of the oldest doctors i met RIP) "expect the impossible".

But I see what you mean now with the case of the autism and vaccines doctor. Thank you for explaining.
aquine On May 30, 2014
Psalm 2 = Rev 11:15

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#19New Post! Sep 03, 2009 @ 01:00:09
Some say science does not oppose Christ. They are incorrect.

Science is the practice of the evil one. Science is ever changing. The Lord God is everlasting.

The intellect is a bright light that those who have turned from God stand behind.

The intellect becomes entranced by individual trees on fire (war, famine, climate change etc, etc) but fails to see the flames descending upon the entire forest.

Faith is the dark cloud that guides a believer.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs