The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

Stand up for what you believe in, or respect a persons's privacy?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Mar 05, 2008 @ 18:07:36
@lilbear Said
I do strongly stand up for what I believe sometimes so much so that I don't know when to let go, but if it's something I believe in strongly I won't shut my mouth, but I never resort to violence and I try not to name call, I guess that's why I am very good at my part time volunteer work, I'm an advocate for certain Departments and Issues, so I guess you could say YES I do stand up for what I believe in a very loud VOCAL way, I thought you meant what one says to another on this site.Big difference.

to someones mental detriment could apply to forums I guess.
kit On January 24, 2014

Fife, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Mar 05, 2008 @ 18:08:34
@stumblinthrulife Said
Assuming that that means that you believe it to be appropriate to stand up and make yourself heard in situations fitting my description, then yes, it counts.

OK then Stand up for what I believe in.
greyguitar On July 28, 2010

#18New Post! Mar 05, 2008 @ 18:10:09
If you don't stand for something, you fall for nothing.

It would depend on the situation. I once saw a guy slap a woman in the bar and when I said that it wasn't cool, SHE got all uppity and told me to mind my own business. I said that it was everyone's business since it was in public and it degenerated into her calling me names and spoiling for a fight that I wasn't willing to enter into, just because I said that it wasn't cool for her guy to slap her...So, I've kinda learned to gauge the situation before I presume to step in.

If it were a child or an animal being abused by an adult, yes, definitely, with out a doubt I would do what I could, but adults with adults...ehhhh

Children and children is tricky too. I wouldn't want an angry parent coming after me accusing me of trying to discipline their child if I saw their child being violent or mean to another child. If there was no one else to intervene, then yeah, maybe I would try to do something. It depends.
iliterate_enginere On February 12, 2010

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#19New Post! Mar 05, 2008 @ 18:19:13
I consider myself a stand up for what I believe is right type person. Maybe you should give some cases for us to answer what we would do?
BabyJane On July 08, 2014

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
#20New Post! Mar 05, 2008 @ 18:26:48
@greyguitar Said
If you don't stand for something, you fall for nothing.

It would depend on the situation. I once saw a guy slap a woman in the bar and when I said that it wasn't cool, SHE got all uppity and told me to mind my own business. I said that it was everyone's business since it was in public and it degenerated into her calling me names and spoiling for a fight that I wasn't willing to enter into, just because I said that it wasn't cool for her guy to slap her...So, I've kinda learned to gauge the situation before I presume to step in.

If it were a child or an animal being abused by an adult, yes, definitely, with out a doubt I would do what I could, but adults with adults...ehhhh

Children and children is tricky too. I wouldn't want an angry parent coming after me accusing me of trying to discipline their child if I saw their child being violent or mean to another child. If there was no one else to intervene, then yeah, maybe I would try to do something. It depends.

For the woman you tried to stand up for in the bar, you should've stepped back and said "sorry for interfering, go ahead, slap her again"

Seriously though, I understand exactly what you mean. I've been in similar situations, especially with other people's kids. But I would do it again anyway, because if it was my kids doing something bad, or dangerous or whatever, I would hope that a responsible adult would intervene.
greyguitar On July 28, 2010

#21New Post! Mar 05, 2008 @ 18:31:06
@babyjane Said
For the woman you tried to stand up for in the bar, you should've stepped back and said "sorry for interfering, go ahead, slap her again"

Seriously though, I understand exactly what you mean. I've been in similar situations, especially with other people's kids. But I would do it again anyway, because if it was my kids doing something bad, or dangerous or whatever, I would hope that a responsible adult would intervene.

I wish I'd thought of it! It would've had a way better vibe. But I think they were both spoiling for a fight.

It's all tricky when you see someone else's business. It's hard to know if it's the right thing to do to make it your own.

It actually touches on one of my biggest fears. If I saw something going down and didn't act and something REALLY bad happened, like someone was kidnapped or murdered and I could've done something but didn't. That would be a hard thing to live with.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Mar 05, 2008 @ 18:34:54
It depends on what was actually happening. If it was something I really disagreed with then I'd probably say something. If it was just something that I thought was mildly irritating and not very nice then probably not.
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#23New Post! Mar 05, 2008 @ 18:35:55
Abusive situations are tricky but I'd rather err on the side of caution rather than say or do nothing and finding out that I was right and said or did nothing to prevent it, yes I would stand up for what is RIGHT even if it steps into someone's privacy because that's where most people do the awful things they do, if my neighbor was building a let's say a bomb in his backyard which is his private space, I wouldn't think twice of standing up for what I believed in reporting it to the proper authorities, whether he/she threatens to kill me at least I did stand up and exposed the illegal problem happening next door, and if I died for it then I would consider that I'd have died for a good cause, protecting other's, I have stepped in when I've seen abuse happening and almost got myself killed in the process but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Hope this makes some sort of sense, I'm very sick right now so be gentle my mind is quite fuzzy with my meds K??
BabyJane On July 08, 2014

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
#24New Post! Mar 05, 2008 @ 18:36:49
@greyguitar Said
I wish I'd thought of it! It would've had a way better vibe. But I think they were both spoiling for a fight.

It's all tricky when you see someone else's business. It's hard to know if it's the right thing to do to make it your own.

It actually touches on one of my biggest fears. If I saw something going down and didn't act and something REALLY bad happened, like someone was kidnapped or murdered and I could've done something but didn't. That would be a hard thing to live with.

I totally agree. I think that's why it's okay to err on the side of caution by doing the right thing. If you end up feeling like you've made a big mistake, you can back out and suffer only maybe some embarrassment as opposed to wishing you had done something in the first place.
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#25New Post! Mar 05, 2008 @ 20:20:27
I have a compulsion to fight for the underdog. I'd have to stand up for the innocent person.
vicki_t On October 15, 2011

, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Mar 05, 2008 @ 20:26:55
One should stand up for one's beliefs and should seek to protect others from harm where appropriate. There is a fine line though between doing that and imposing your own morals on other people.

The first post in this topic expresses a rationale I think we would tend to agree with. Yet the very same rationale is used by all sorts of people to justify imposing beliefs on others.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Mar 05, 2008 @ 20:31:49
Stand up for what i believe in most cases. Once you make a stand as such you cannot control what others do or whether they digest your opinion or not. If they are within the law you can only put in your 2c and hope it makes some kind of impact.
calonso On January 16, 2014

Orlando, Florida
#28New Post! Mar 05, 2008 @ 23:19:08
Depends on the the innocent party, I would need to know for a fact that they want to be saved, after that I would do anything in my power.
amish On July 29, 2008

#29New Post! Mar 06, 2008 @ 07:29:48
respecting privacy is usually a good idea... i get a feeling we're talking about something important, and i'm not sure privacy is the best solution to an unnamed problem.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs