The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: News & Current Events:
Environment

Survey: Less Than Half of all Published Scientists Endorse Global Warming Theory

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ugly_ducky On September 30, 2008

Jurassic Pond,
#1New Post! Aug 31, 2007 @ 02:06:48
Of 528 total papers on climate change, only 38 (7%) gave an explicit endorsement of the consensus. If one considers "implicit" endorsement (accepting the consensus without explicit statement), the figure rises to 45%. However, while only 32 papers (6%) reject the consensus outright, the largest category (48%) are neutral papers, refusing to either accept or reject the hypothesis. This is no "consensus."

The figures are even more shocking when one remembers the watered-down definition of consensus here. Not only does it not require supporting that man is the "primary" cause of warming, but it doesn't require any belief or support for "catastrophic" global warming. In fact of all papers published in this period (2004 to February 2007), only a single one makes any reference to climate change leading to catastrophic results.

Schulte's survey contradicts the United Nation IPCC's Fourth Assessment Report (2007), which gave a figure of "90% likely" man was having an impact on world temperatures. But does the IPCC represent a consensus view of world scientists? Despite media claims of "thousands of scientists" involved in the report, the actual text is written by a much smaller number of "lead authors." The introductory "Summary for Policymakers" -- the only portion usually quoted in the media -- is written not by scientists at all, but by politicians, and approved, word-by-word, by political representatives from member nations. By IPCC policy, the individual report chapters -- the only text actually written by scientists -- are edited to "ensure compliance" with the summary, which is typically published months before the actual report itself.

https://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8641
barryclemson On August 31, 2007

Norfolk,
#2New Post! Aug 31, 2007 @ 02:32:41
@ugly_ducky Said
Of 528 total papers on climate change, only 38 (7%) gave an explicit
endorsement of the consensus. If one considers "implicit" endorsement (accepting the
consensus without explicit statement), the figure rises to 45%. However, while only 32
papers (6%) reject the consensus outright, the largest category (48%) are neutral papers,
refusing to either accept or reject the hypothesis. This is no "consensus."

The figures are even more shocking when one remembers the watered-down definition of
consensus here. Not only does it not require supporting that man is the "primary" cause
of warming, but it doesn't require any belief or support for "catastrophic" global warming.
In fact of all papers published in this period (2004 to February 2007), only a single one
makes any reference to climate change leading to catastrophic results.

Schulte's survey contradicts the United Nation IPCC's Fourth Assessment Report (2007),
which gave a figure of "90% likely" man was having an impact on world temperatures. But
does the IPCC represent a consensus view of world scientists? Despite media claims of
"thousands of scientists" involved in the report, the actual text is written by a much
smaller number of "lead authors." The introductory "Summary for Policymakers" -- the
only portion usually quoted in the media -- is written not by scientists at all, but by
politicians, and approved, word-by-word, by political representatives from member
nations. By IPCC policy, the individual report chapters -- the only text actually written by
scientists -- are edited to "ensure compliance" with the summary, which is typically
published months before the actual report itself.

Who is Schulte and what survey are you talking about. Where did the 528 papers come
from?
spongebobsmycumrag On December 10, 2009

Lichfield, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 31, 2007 @ 02:37:59
where did the global cooling theory go?
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Aug 31, 2007 @ 02:54:04
I don't really feel you can consider this study to be as valid as the original. I understand the dispute, some of the original data is indeed now nearly 15 years old, but heck, you might as well say that some of Schulte's data is nearly 10 years old, and hence also unsbubmittable.

In the past 10 years, countless extremely biased studies have been commissioned, and conclusions of dubious veracity have been reached. These papers were no doubt included in Schulte's survey. Global Warming has become part of a political agenda, and hence we can no longer trust anything. The truth has been completely obfiscated by politicians of both sides looking to gain ground with the issue.

Fact is that it doesn't matter how many people agree or disagree - the planet isn't a democracy, and it's eather warming or it isn't warming regardless of how many scientists say what. We will not know for certain unless/until something so catastrophic happens that it's impossible to hide behind facts and figures.

Ironically, if the "pro-warming" camp has it's way, and the changes proposed actually halt warming in it's tracks, the "anti" camp will probably turn around and say "see, told you there was no warming" - when the truth was perhaps that something bad would have happened were it not for the changes made.

For me personally, the choice is fairly simple. From the common man, the global warming believers ask for such simple actions as -

Don't leave lights burning
Use energy efficient products
Use less gas

All of which adds up to more money in your pocket. Hell is that such a bad thing?

When it comes to industry, I can understand the arguments. It's industry that the anti-global warming politicians are seeking to serve, not the common man.

Jurassic Pond,
#5New Post! Aug 31, 2007 @ 04:40:37
@barryclemson Said
Who is Schulte and what survey are you talking about. Where did the 528 papers come
from?

Dr. Klaus-Martin Schulte is a medical researcher and the papers came from the ISI Web of Science database.

@stumblinthrulife Said
I don't really feel you can consider this study to be as valid as the original. I understand the dispute, some of the original data is indeed now nearly 15 years old, but heck, you might as well say that some of Schulte's data is nearly 10 years old, and hence also unsbubmittable.

How is some of Shulte's data nearly 10 years old when the papers he studied were published from 2004-2007?
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#6New Post! Aug 31, 2007 @ 04:58:24
@ugly_ducky Said
Of 528 total papers on climate change, only 38 (7%) gave an explicit endorsement of the consensus. If one considers "implicit" endorsement (accepting the consensus without explicit statement), the figure rises to 45%. However, while only 32 papers (6%) reject the consensus outright, the largest category (48%) are neutral papers, refusing to either accept or reject the hypothesis. This is no "consensus."

The figures are even more shocking when one remembers the watered-down definition of consensus here. Not only does it not require supporting that man is the "primary" cause of warming, but it doesn't require any belief or support for "catastrophic" global warming. In fact of all papers published in this period (2004 to February 2007), only a single one makes any reference to climate change leading to catastrophic results.

Schulte's survey contradicts the United Nation IPCC's Fourth Assessment Report (2007), which gave a figure of "90% likely" man was having an impact on world temperatures. But does the IPCC represent a consensus view of world scientists? Despite media claims of "thousands of scientists" involved in the report, the actual text is written by a much smaller number of "lead authors." The introductory "Summary for Policymakers" -- the only portion usually quoted in the media -- is written not by scientists at all, but by politicians, and approved, word-by-word, by political representatives from member nations. By IPCC policy, the individual report chapters -- the only text actually written by scientists -- are edited to "ensure compliance" with the summary, which is typically published months before the actual report itself.

Al Gore said that they all agree so it must be true. Why do you insist on posting this misleading information?

Jurassic Pond,
#7New Post! Aug 31, 2007 @ 05:06:57
@raditz8526 Said
Al Gore said that they all agree so it must be true. Why do you insist on posting this misleading information?

raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#8New Post! Aug 31, 2007 @ 05:09:08

You're just another global warming denier!

Deleted

#9New Post! Aug 31, 2007 @ 13:44:47
@ugly_ducky Said
How is some of Shulte's data nearly 10 years old when the papers he studied were published from 2004-2007?

The same way a study completed 5 years ago has 15 year old data - it's a ten year study.

Deleted

#10New Post! Aug 31, 2007 @ 16:30:44
@stumblinthrulife Said
The same way a study completed 5 years ago has 15 year old data - it's a ten year study.

Wait, I misread. So he only took a 3 year sample, instead of the original 10 year sample. I'm not sure if this makes it more or less reliable, statistically speaking. I mean one could argue that it's more accurate reflection of recent studies, but at the same time one could argue that it's a smaller sample, and not as representative. Swings and roundabouts.
ricecup On August 31, 2007

Toronto, Canada
#11New Post! Aug 31, 2007 @ 21:58:40
If helping the enviroment means more money in my pockets and living a longer life, then conserve all the way!

Jurassic Pond,
#12New Post! Aug 31, 2007 @ 21:58:55
@stumblinthrulife Said
Wait, I misread. So he only took a 3 year sample, instead of the original 10 year sample. I'm not sure if this makes it more or less reliable, statistically speaking. I mean one could argue that it's more accurate reflection of recent studies, but at the same time one could argue that it's a smaller sample, and not as representative. Swings and roundabouts.

That is why I hate statistics.

Deleted

#13New Post! Sep 01, 2007 @ 01:18:04
@ugly_ducky Said
That is why I hate statistics.

Lies, damn lies and statistics, as I'm so fond of saying.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs