The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Religion

How can a Church recover from a scandal such as the Haggard scandal??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
cayden On January 18, 2007

Ca, New York
#1New Post! Dec 06, 2006 @ 14:44:19
Is there a way that the Church can recover. What I mean is that in a way, the wholeBody of Christ is effected by this scandal. When it comes to that particular church that he was Pastor off, do you think they can recover from this, and how can they, or for that matter any church that has these scandals going on.?? What should be their next move and obviously this should strengthen the Body of Christ and motivate us to come together more.

What do you think are the ways to recover for this particular church and for that matter the Church of Jesus Christ in general?
brainfarmer On February 09, 2007

huddersfield, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 06, 2006 @ 14:46:46
oh it was so funny tho intially denied it totally then admitted he got drugs he never used then admiitted he had a massage but not sex. priceless
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#3New Post! Dec 06, 2006 @ 15:23:36
Churches are always in some sort of scandal. We've forgotton about the Baker thing, although that was money laundring or something. The church down the street acually was practicing serious occult, satanic stuff, and it's got followers who go every week and turn a blind eye to it. As far as I know, the satanic stuff has stoped, but the stigma hasn't. It's even tainted the whole street. I live on a fast street, with many sharp turns, and people die, alot on this street bc of it, and others will, shake their heads, and blame it on that "Satanic church" and that the street wanted thier souls. People claim that the train bridge is cry baby brigde, but if you look into Ohio's history, it's not. I do have to admit tho, I've expirience very scary stuff at that church when I was younger, and I don't dare bother it, or go on it's property again!!!
alljive On March 03, 2007

trondheim, Norway
#4New Post! Dec 06, 2006 @ 15:30:41
In my experience it seems that all the churches ever do when there is a "scandal", usually only in the minds of the church goers anyway, is ignore it until it goes away. The standard solution seems to be "business as usual", and asking for forgiveness.

It appears funny to me that these people expect ever to be taken seriously on any subject, and even funnier that they have the required lack of insight to point fingers at other churches and religions for doing exactly what they did/do.

There's nothing to do, either people will continue to go because they don't really think the scandal is that bad.. or the church will just wither away and die. *shrugs*
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Dec 06, 2006 @ 15:40:14
no one can be responsible for someone elses actions. it is always sad when it is a member of the clergy or a loyal congregation member. but they will bouce back. it is the criminal not the church at the end of it. such a pity that the clergy feel they have to do that and that they are such a public figue it seems to make more of an impact.
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#6New Post! Dec 06, 2006 @ 16:07:38
@trillian Said
no one can be responsible for someone elses actions. it is always sad when it is a member of the clergy or a loyal congregation member. but they will bouce back. it is the criminal not the church at the end of it. such a pity that the clergy feel they have to do that and that they are such a public figue it seems to make more of an impact.

I agree, as much as I hate to defend organized religon, I don't blame the Catholics for the Alter boy thing, just the clergy that committed the crime.
*edit* although it is quite funny to make fun of
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Dec 06, 2006 @ 16:10:04
@squirt_aka_casey Said
I agree, as much as I hate to defend organized religon, I don't blame the Catholics for the Alter boy thing, just the clergy that committed the crime.
*edit* although it is quite funny to make fun of

it is not the churches fault. they just need to maybe be a little bit more selectiv of who they take on. we all asume that people in authority are safe people. nice kind people. a policeman or a priest would never do that to a child. a nun? never. etc. they are humans too. they have been put in a position of responsibility and have abused it. they did it, not the organisation. they.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Dec 06, 2006 @ 16:52:16
whats the Haggard Scandal?? anyone wanna linky?
perspicacious On November 28, 2014

?, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Dec 06, 2006 @ 16:53:57
Try this.
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#10New Post! Dec 06, 2006 @ 16:55:32
Here ya are Treebs
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Dec 06, 2006 @ 16:56:04
OK thanks, got the jist of it.

Typical, he who shouts loudest is the most suspicous imo.

One person doesnt represent a religion but its a rather embarrasing thing for those who are so anti-gay in the name of religion I love it
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#12New Post! Dec 06, 2006 @ 18:05:50
i guess Haggard forgot the part about not sinning anymore after bringing jesus into his heart.

@cayden Said

What do you think are the ways to recover for this particular church and for that matter the Church of Jesus Christ in general?

i would suggest that these people (or any christians feeling the negative impact) should learn a lesson from this.

1st realize that this is a prime example of why blind faith is potentially dangerous. when you accept someone as a teacher (without question) you run the risk of being dupped...with results ranging from being confused and embarassed all the way up to believing stuff that is not true.

in the Haggard case it is mostly embarassment...in the case of Jones (i.e. Jonestown) it is false teachings and death.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs