Religion & Philosophy

Roman Catholic Church Child Sexual Abuse Scandal

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 03:21:46
A report, nine years in the making, which exposes widespread abuse and sexual abuse of children by priests and nuns in Roman Catholic Children's Care homes in the Irish Republic will NOT lead to any prosecutions.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8060442.stm

(If this link does not work, Google BBC NEWS/WORLD/EUROPE/IRISH ABUSED 'CHEATED OF JUSTICE').

The report covers a period of six decades and covers a catalogue of cruelty, neglect, physical, sexual and emotional abuse against thousands of children and yet not one person will be prosecuted because the Christian Brothers successfully sued through the Irish court system to keep the identities of the perpetrators secret.

And the Roman Catholic church has the temerity to say that homosexuals are not fit to adopt, or be given care and control of children.

What hypocrisy.

chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#2New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 03:33:48
why post it twice?
RrrendezVoodoo2 On July 10, 2015

#3New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 03:58:47
Dittoing Chisa
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#4New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 16:59:13
@Jennifer1984 Said

A report, nine years in the making, which exposes widespread abuse and sexual abuse of children by priests and nuns in Roman Catholic Children's Care homes in the Irish Republic will NOT lead to any prosecutions.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8060442.stm

(If this link does not work, Google BBC NEWS/WORLD/EUROPE/IRISH ABUSED 'CHEATED OF JUSTICE').

The report covers a period of six decades and covers a catalogue of cruelty, neglect, physical, sexual and emotional abuse against thousands of children and yet not one person will be prosecuted because the Christian Brothers successfully sued through the Irish court system to keep the identities of the perpetrators secret.

And the Roman Catholic church has the temerity to say that homosexuals are not fit to adopt, or be given care and control of children.

What hypocrisy.

Over the centries it has not been the administrators of the church which have ket the church intact but the rank and file of true believers
tfc On April 16, 2019

Dallas,
#5New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 22:55:21
@WASH Said

Over the centries it has not been the administrators of the church which have ket the church intact but the rank and file of true believers

That's right. Nonbelievers convienently fail to note that these people go against their own faith. In the Bible, you are by definition in darkness if you live a life of sin.

He who says, ?I know Him,? and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (1 John 2:4)
mr_ash On January 08, 2013

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 23:58:46
@tfc Said

That's right. Nonbelievers convienently fail to note that these people go against their own faith. In the Bible, you are by definition in darkness if you live a life of sin.

He who says, ?I know Him,? and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (1 John 2:4)

Nonbelievers do note though when the Catholic leader of England and Wales, makes comments on live radio, that Atheists aren't 'fully human'.

https://stephenlaw.blogspot.com/2009/05/cardinal-cormac-murphy-oconnor-atheists.html

This coming from a man who didn't take action when concerns were raised about a paedophile priest who was later convicted of abusing a disabled child in his care. And 8 other cases, (of which most were dropped, because the children had learning difficulties.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/reports/archive/features/paedophile_priests.shtml

He did though have this to say..

'Responding to our original investigation, Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor issued a statement apologising to victims. In his defence he said the decisions he made at that time were not irresponsible and that there was a genuine ignorance among bishops, priests, and society at large about the compulsive nature of child abuse.'

That's ok then.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#7New Post! May 22, 2009 @ 00:02:17
Sexual abuse of this type does not reflect on every priest, but it does to me make the catholic church reprehensible.

Not because some of their priests molested children, but because they actively covered it up and protected the priests from prosecution and enabled them to abuse again.

I Ireland many paedophile priests were protected and moved to small dioceses where they could continue to abuse, some were moved to the Vatican itself.
All to save embarassment. sickening.
mr_ash On January 08, 2013

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! May 22, 2009 @ 00:13:41
@alexkidd Said

Sexual abuse of this type does not reflect on every priest, but it does to me make the catholic church reprehensible.

Not because some of their priests molested children, but because they actively covered it up and protected the priests from prosecution and enabled them to abuse again.

In Ireland many paedophile priests were protected and moved to small dioceses where they could continue to abuse, some were moved to the Vatican itself.
All to save embarassment. sickening.

I'll just add (because of your first sentence) that I was wasn't implying anything in general about every priest, of course.

The rest of your post is truly sickening, I agree entirely.

Cases of paedophilia are nauseating enough. But when someone with a position of trust is involved, it's particularly loathsome.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#9New Post! May 22, 2009 @ 06:00:53
In response to Chisa, I posted this twice in order to obtain the views of separate groups.

I posted it on the homosexuals site to gain the views of people who frequent that area and may have an interest in family matters as they pertain to homosexuals.

I posted it here to gain the views of people of faith who may have an interest in family matters as they pertain to those of belief.

Different groups may have varying viewpoints and I am interested in the opinions of all.

sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#10New Post! May 22, 2009 @ 06:05:46
Victims should still be able to contact the police and have charges laid against any perpetrators who are still alive.

I'm assuming that in this report that victims were not named. That does not mean they can't come forward - they should.

Whether or not the church is sued or held legally responsible is another matter, although I agree with alexkidd - effectively by hiding these crimes the chruch have committed a crime themselves.

Where are the victims referred to in this report? Did they speak to police?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs