racist influence?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#106New Post! Feb 03, 2019 @ 09:17:19
Hmm....Narcissistic. Interesting. I've not been accused of that one (presuming that the comment is aimed at my remarks, even though Ratty has made no direct reference or link, but I'll take the comment at face value).

I'd like to ask, in what way narcissistic..? I don't think my comments were at all self centered or in any way pandered to my personal interests in a narrow, self indulgent way. Actually, I suggest my comments are more altruistic than narcissistic. As an individual - barring physical assault or immaculate conception - the likelihood of my ever needing an abortion are extremely remote so the level of self interest involved is somewhat less than minimal.

I'm grateful for the "young" comment though. As I begin to drift ever-so-slightly towards middle age, to be labelled as being among the "young" is flattering. Perhaps it's a comparison thing, eh Ratty...?

Perhaps Ratty simply doesn't like abortion or has some religious or other objection to women having any sort of control over their own bodies. He may like to enlighten us on his own position rather than merely taking the soft option of denigrating another person's point of view out of hand, without any regard to the reasoning put forward, or challenging their argument on a factual level.

Any chimp can call another person out for having a view. More difficult to challenge the argument on its merit.

Come back and call me names when you've got something to argue with. When we know where you stand, and what you THINK, perhaps we can discuss the issue.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#107New Post! Feb 03, 2019 @ 14:51:51
Paul Ryan graduated from a university that had "Redskins" as it's mascot.

He's A Racist!

He Should Resign!!!

NE, Ohio
#108New Post! Feb 03, 2019 @ 16:13:30
@DiscordTiger Said

I don’t know, Frankin resigned. And it seems like the party is still asking for resignation.

He could have done Jackson without the blackface and still been on point.

And when will the investigations into the school and yearbook staff start?

Shouldn't they be held accountable for such a horribly racist publication?

Northam should SUE!!

NE, Ohio
#109New Post! Feb 11, 2019 @ 20:35:32
I guess it's now racist to call a spade a spade:
Latest uproar

To sum it up:
A twitter-spat

"It's all about the Benjamins"

", "Would love to know who @IlhanMN thinks is paying American politicians to be pro-Israel,"

"AIPAC"

"RACIST!!! "
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#110New Post! Feb 13, 2019 @ 03:31:06
Speed Racer was a racist.

That's probably the single most important fact any of us will consider today.

Again, Speed Racer was a racist.

Jerry, however, was a racecar driver. He never did win the checkered flag but he never did come in last.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#111New Post! Feb 13, 2019 @ 03:54:39
@gakINGKONG Said

Speed Racer was a racist.

That's probably the single most important fact any of us will consider today.

Again, Speed Racer was a racist.

Jerry, however, was a racecar driver. He never did win the checkered flag but he never did come in last.

Didn't know that.

, Florida
#112New Post! Feb 13, 2019 @ 11:39:00
@Cpat92 Said

Didn't know that.

Knowing is half the battle!

GI JOE!!

, Florida
#113New Post! Feb 14, 2019 @ 18:57:15
@Jennifer1984 Said

The abortion debate is about Women’s Rights, not 24 Weeks

Firstly, let me say this: Abortion limits should not be off limits. Existing laws should be periodically scrutinised to ensure they are as scientifically and ethically sound as possible, but we must be watchful too.

The debate is being seized by dedicated right-wingers, religious zealots and anti-feminists. This is what is happening in UK, as the slithery, slimy, former Health Minister Jeremy Hunt, the baleful, hopeless former Minister for Women Maria Miller and the controversial and obnoxious Conservative MP, Nadine Dorries continue to call for a reduction of the existing 24 week threshold for abortion.

The Conservative Party seems somehow to be spawning an undeclared, determined, US-type Tea Party - only with added scones, butter and jam - within its ranks.

As the extreme right tightens it's grip on the Conservative government and this sort of cabal attempts to swoop down on women's reproductive rights, any hope of constructive debate is being swept aside.

The argument, ostensibly about legal abortion is, in my opinion, more to do with the slow but real advances made by women towards autonomy, equality and freedom. What makes the likes of Hunt, Miller and Dorries so dangerous to that cause is that they don’t sound reactionary or crazed. Instead, they come across as plausible.

They must be aware that the number of teenage pregnancies is too high, and too many young and / or poorly educated women with babies are on benefit and are, in the words of some, a ‘burden on the state’. How these right-wingers rationalise their arguments is a mystery to me.

But here are a couple of points for them to think about: less than 8% of foetuses are aborted at 24 weeks and most of those are because congenital abnormalities were either undetectable, or were not detected, at an earlier stage.

Abortions help poor families not to get poorer, and we shouldn’t get judgemental and think that these women are too stupid to use contraception.

Controlling women’s bodies is about a bigger and more chilling agenda. The Equality and Human Rights Commission is losing its voice in the UK;

As Brexit starts to squeeze the life out of Britain, more women are being laid off from work than men and the Conservative government’s austerity programme (which is NOT over, no matter what you say, Mrs May) is disproportionately affecting women.

By politicising abortion, these Conservative hard-liners make it increasingly difficult for a dispassionate case to be made for any reduction in the current limit.

It has been a long road from 1967 when David Steele (Liberal) pushed through our current, enlightened abortion law.

But give the anti-abortionist militia an inch and they will take a mile. So, until the argument becomes truly objective again, I say no. The limit must stay where it is
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#114New Post! Feb 14, 2019 @ 20:55:30
GAK, I added the end quote code to your post to fix the thread, but it doesn't look like you actually said anything after quoting Jennifer?

Just letting you know...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs