Forums:
Politics

Child benefit cuts for the wealthy.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
lynnielou On November 17, 2010

Worthing, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 10:32:51
It has been announced today that the goverment is to cut child benifit for high earners.
I agree with the policy myself, and personally think the cuts should have been made years ago.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 10:36:01
In theory i agree, the government havent made it clear where they are going to channel the money, they just said it was needed.

I would like a very clear breakdown of where my taxes go and which percentage to which department.
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 10:39:27
I do agree, but I don't see why they won't take into account how much a patnership will earn. I.E there could be a couple, each earning ?43k a year and they can still claim the benefits.
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#4New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 10:39:56
@treebee Said

In theory i agree, the government havent made it clear where they are going to channel the money, they just said it was needed.

I would like a very clear breakdown of where my taxes go and which percentage to which department.

Same!

I've always felt if you earn over so much you shouldn't recieve it, same with working tax credits, I find it very difficult to believe someone who earns ?50,000 a year is entitled to it!
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 10:41:40
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11464300

Here is the BBC news article for those interested.
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#6New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 10:52:09
I rely heavily on my child ben though, Dave lost his 'good paid' job over a year ago and basically had to take a job on the pays absolute s***e because of the rules involving job seekers, i'm seeking work but it's bloody difficult getting anywhere without a car round here, public transport id ridiculously expensive and no where near as good as say London.

I use my child ben to kit Kat's out every month, shoes, books etc!

I seriously hope they're not gonna target people who need it most, we're not flash people we don't own flat screen TV's, apple stuff, flash motors, I shop in charity shops for clothes, don't go out much anymore and I always make sure Kat's is turned out properly
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 14:57:16
I disagree with the policy for the simple reason that from my perspective benefits (and particularly those that are designed to help parents look after children) should remain universal.

I think at a time when people's incomes are rarely going to be set and are all at risk of changing and fluctuating child benefits (and imo all benefits by extension) need to remain fixed and universal. I disagreed with the idea when it was floated by Labour (and quickly withdrawn due to the dismay most Labour voters had to the policy) and I disagree with it now.

It's worth noting that child poverty is much higher in countries that have means-tested child benefits rather than universal child benefits.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 15:24:58
https://jmothecat.blogspot.com/2010/10/coalition-broke-my-promise.html

Those are a few of my thoughts on the issue if anyone is in the least bit interested.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 15:41:21
I'm for it tbh. ?40k+/year is a fortune, from where I'm sitting.

That said, I've never liked the idea of taxing the rich for no other reason than because they are "considered" rich by social definition.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#10New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 15:44:49
if it was feasible, i would approve child benefits being reduced for everyone, and for some, being cut altogether.

although i feel it wouldn't be feasible, as too many people unfortunately rely on child benefits too survive, which is a shame.
Bimbo On November 16, 2010

Deleted
Banned

, Monaco
#11New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 15:46:02
@davii Said

I'm for it tbh. ?40k+/year is a fortune, from where I'm sitting.

That said, I've never liked the idea of taxing the rich for no other reason than because they are "considered" rich by social definition.

Yeah. Plus do high earners like that really claim benefits? Some might I spose, but I reckon most don't.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 15:51:39
@hallucinogenic_lipstick Said

Same!

I've always felt if you earn over so much you shouldn't recieve it, same with working tax credits, I find it very difficult to believe someone who earns ?50,000 a year is entitled to it!

Working Tax Credits stop at a very low level - last time I checked, it was around ?12k and heading downwards - as do most other benefits. That's why people get trapped in the system
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs