The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Sports

ireland beats pakistan world cup cricket!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
osm On March 18, 2016
Kiwi!

Wellington, New Zealand
#1New Post! Mar 18, 2007 @ 04:55:51
source: https://www.stuff.co.nz/3997073a1823.html

UPDATED REPORT: KINGSTON: Former champions Pakistan were eliminated from the World Cup when they lost an enthralling Group D match against part-timers Ireland by three wickets at Sabina Park today.
LATEST GROUP STANDINGS

The defeat of the 1992 champions by the debutants is one of the biggest shocks in the nine-tournament history of the World Cup which was first played in 1975.

Ireland, requiring a revised target of 128 after a rain delay during their innings, won with a six over mid-wicket by captain Trent Johnston off Azhar Mahmood. There were 32 balls remaining.

Australian-born Johnston, cheered on by a jubilant Irish contingent already celebrating St Patrick's Day, punched the air in jubilation as the ball sailed over the boundary ropes.

Several of his team mates clad in emerald green rushed on to the field to embrace him as the dejected Pakistan players stood forlornly.

"You don't really expect to beat a major Test country like that but we have said all along that funny things can happen," Irish coach Adrian Birrell told reporters.

"We are a side that is capable of upsets. We've done it before and we drew on that belief of past experiences."

POLE POSITION

The result means Pakistan, who also lost their opening match against West Indies on Tuesday, are out and Ireland are in pole position to progress to the Super Eights, probably with the hosts, from the group.

"I've experienced a few bad days in my life and this ranks pretty highly with ones that I have experienced," Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer said in a news conference.

"I think it's important that I remember that this is a game and in a game things like this happen."

He had been expected to stand down as Pakistan coach after the World Cup in any case.

Two brothers secured easily Irish cricket's biggest triumph. Kevin O'Brien was 16 not out at the climax after his brother Niall had earlier scored a crucial 72.

Ireland were coasting to victory at 113-5 but the 35th over of the innings bowled by Rao Iftikhar included two wickets and that created a tense finale.

EARLY HOPE

Paceman Mohammad Sami had given Pakistan early hope with two wickets, and finished with 3-29 but Ireland resisted every Pakistan offensive before edging home in the gathering gloom.

Pakistan, who had lost their opening match to hosts West Indies on Tuesday, were earlier dismissed for 132 in 45.4 overs as seamer Boyd Rankin claimed 3-32, including 13 wides.

Pakistan lost the match because of their batting ? their top scorer was extras with 29.

They began losing wickets as early as the first over when Mohammad Hafeez (4) was caught behind from seamer David Langford-Smith to the sixth ball of the match.

The usually reliable Younis Khan then followed with a third-ball nought and Mohammad Yousuf, another batsman that Pakistan look to when they need to steady the innings, lasted 31 balls before he was caught for 15 off Johnston. That was 56-3.

The loss of skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq in the next over was the moment when the Irish party really began. He edged the South African-born medium-pacer Andre Botha to Eoin Morgan at slip for one and Pakistan never recovered.

The seven-week World Cup culminates with the April 28 final in Barbados.

wow! Absolutely incredible you irish are bloody legends!
marcus On July 12, 2009

Banned

Membar, Liechtenstein
#2New Post! Mar 18, 2007 @ 05:05:41
yep. it was a good match. 3 wickets!!! Hallowed are the Irish.

(I'm waiting for SA to play. SA for the win.)
garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#3New Post! Mar 18, 2007 @ 05:15:55
osm On March 18, 2016
Kiwi!

Wellington, New Zealand
#4New Post! Mar 18, 2007 @ 05:21:42
but wasn't made the news is that bangladesh beat india today as well! What is this? Rise of the cricketing minnows?
pottsie On November 17, 2007

Mt. Helen, Australia
#5New Post! Mar 18, 2007 @ 05:23:46
G'day,

Good on 'em, I' say old St. Pat might've been in their corner.
Good on 'em, and good luck (Though I'm still tipping the Aussies to win it)

cheers,

Pottsie
twiztidangel On May 19, 2010
Why So Serious?

kingdom of muggles, Canada
#6New Post! Mar 18, 2007 @ 05:23:50
I love the Irish <3333
lloydchristmas On December 08, 2009

, Iran
#7New Post! Mar 20, 2007 @ 09:32:44
I'm on the bandwagon, wearing my leprachaun hat and carrying an inflatable hammer.
Ole ole ole, ole ole ole,
you'll never beat the irish.
marcus On July 12, 2009

Banned

Membar, Liechtenstein
#8New Post! Mar 20, 2007 @ 09:35:54
If Ireland plays against Australia or South Africa, it will lose.
Australia is The Main Threat out there.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs