World series.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#16New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 15:59:14
Why do they call it the World Series when it's not an international event?

That's a bit like Gaelic football having a competition and calling it the World Series when nobody outside Ireland plays the game.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#17New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 16:13:06
It is an international event.

Besides that, the World Series was so named in the 1880s when the American League and the National League were the only two significant baseball leagues in the world.

No nations besides the US and Canada played baseball at a high level at that time. It was 60 years before another nation - Japan - began fielding a competitive professional baseball league.

It's also significant to note that Major League Baseball teams include players from many, many nations around the globe. MLB rosters include large numbers of players from Venezuela, Japan, Korea, Columbia, Mexico, etc.

The current World Series Champion Boston Red Sox roster includes 8 players - 3 of which are regular pitchers (including 1 starting pitcher) and 4 starting fielders - that were born in other nations. Several of them aren't even American citizens, and at least two don't speak English.
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#18New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 16:37:46
So is Riverdance but we don't call it the World Show.

Could the real truth be a distinct lack of modesty?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#19New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 16:40:43
The real truth is that, for the first 60 or so years of the existence of the World Series, it was literally the championship series of the only two serious professional baseball leagues in the world.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#20New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 16:49:08
interesting game,
i could never muster the patience to sit through a whole game though.
but its hard to have an opinion when you have no connection for any team.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#21New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 16:53:14
@alexkidd Said
interesting game,
i could never muster the patience to sit through a whole game though.
but its hard to have an opinion when you have no connection for any team.

It's that way for any sport, isn't it?

I never cared about baseball until I met kyahbean and started to get interested in the Red Sox. I can't get into basketball, probably because there are no teams I really care about. And rugby? Soccer? Same.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#22New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 17:03:27
@jonnythan Said

I never cared about baseball until I met kyahbean and started to get interested in the Red Sox. I can't get into basketball, probably because there are no teams I really care about. And rugby? Soccer? Same.

yeah exactly,
i think thats the main reason why we find it so hard to reconcile our love for european and american sports.
they both seem boring to eachother.

looking objectivly millions of people arn't dedicated to supporting these teams because they're all morons. i think if you sit and watch any sport and learn the rules you'll quickly appreciate the skill involved and the excitement it can bring,
i certainly needed a bit of encouragement through my friends supporting a soccer team before i started to get intrested.
firstly by just supporting their team by proxy because i was watching games with them.
tapper2 On February 28, 2010

Fresno, California
#23New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 18:37:24
yeah the colorado rockies gave up against Boston red sox and Cleveland Indians gave up too!
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#24New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 18:39:45
Friend of mine told me I should get into baseball, said I should support her team - Mariners.

I can hear you all laughing

In soccer I support Huddersfield Town. Bit of a pattern emerging here
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#25New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 18:53:05
@jonnythan Said

For most sports it sure helps to have a connection to a team, but with baseball (ok, I'm ducking and running for cover here) it's just so boring it's hard to sit through a game even when you are pulling for a certain team!
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#26New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 18:55:35
@vizzy Said
For most sports it sure helps to have a connection to a team, but with baseball (ok, I'm ducking and running for cover here) it's just so boring it's hard to sit through a game even when you are pulling for a certain team!

I've gotten pretty into baseball in the last few years. I find it fun to watch now. The interaction between pitcher and hitter (which is the core of the game, of course) is great.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#27New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 18:58:48
@tapper2 Said
yeah the colorado rockies gave up against Boston red sox and Cleveland Indians gave up too!

!

The Red Sox finished the postseason by winning their games by a combined margin that is the largest in history.

They won the World Series by the largest margin in history.

They finished the season with the best record in the league.

They had the second-highest World Series batting average ever.

Isn't it possible that they're just really good?
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#28New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 19:10:38
@jonnythan Said
I've gotten pretty into baseball in the last few years. I find it fun to watch now. The interaction between pitcher and hitter (which is the core of the game, of course) is great.

We're just going to have to disagree on baseball. Or maybe I should drink more while watching

Or maybe it would have more appeal live? I've only been to two baseball games...one as a kid and antoher in a skybox which was more about the party than the game.
tapper2 On February 28, 2010

Fresno, California
#29New Post! Nov 01, 2007 @ 03:50:09
I was for the New York Yankees first then the Cleveland Indians then those two teams lost!
paininmybrain On October 27, 2010

point pleasant,
#30New Post! Nov 01, 2007 @ 12:09:19
@bendover Said
Why do they call it the World Series when it's not an international event?

That's a bit like Gaelic football having a competition and calling it the World Series when nobody outside Ireland plays the game.

Call it what you want but it really isnt a WORLD series at all! Show me a sport that all countries are equally represented as much as this is possible then we will call it a WORLD series until then, its actually the little league world series that even remotely comes close to statement true!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs