The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Who needs a lap dog when you can have a sloth?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 05:42:02
LOOKEY!

They are unlikely house companions but all manner of spiky, prickly and fearsome creatures are now officially loveable. Licences are no longer required to own a sloth, emu, racoon or squirrel monkey.

In a shake-up of the dangerous-animal laws 33 species are now considered sufficiently harmless to be kept as a pet. Children who were once content to play with a puppy or hamster may now yearn for a North American porcupine, a mangrove snake or even a Brazilian wolf spider.

Other exotic beasts that may be stocked by pet shops in future include woolly lemurs, tamarins, coatis and little coatimundis. The changes will save owners between ?100 and ?1,000 a year in licence fees charged by local authorities for any animal, bird or reptile listed under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

But some animal welfare campaigners fear that it will lead to animals suffering with owners unable to cope with demanding creatures. Others also fear that unscrupulous dealers will breed these animals and that it could encourage illicit trade in endangered wild animals.

Even though woolly lemurs, tamarins, night (or owl) monkeys, titis and squirrel monkeys are now deemed harmless, their conservation status is important and ownership is covered by the Convention of Inernational Trade in Endangered Species (Cites). Owners must be licensed to care for these animals.

Also this bit was a little bit amusing

Quote:
MPs demanded stricter controls on wild animals after a woman wearing a leopard-skin coat was jumped on by a lion called Shane in a Worthing street.

The scare for Mrs Poppy Hull in March 1976 made front-page news in The Times. The lion was the pet of a local taxi driver.

xxdeceivingeyesxx On April 19, 2009

Deleted

nowhere, California
#2New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 05:49:36
Can you now get them at regular pet-stores? o_O
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 05:53:31
@xxdeceivingeyesxx Said
Can you now get them at regular pet-stores? o_O

Oh this is a law change in the UK, and no not yet... but soon
stew On August 05, 2012

Falkirk, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 05:54:39
im gettin one and callin him Sid!
xxdeceivingeyesxx On April 19, 2009

Deleted

nowhere, California
#5New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 05:56:36
@stew Said
im gettin one and callin him Sid!

Will it happen in the US? o_O
I hope so...
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#6New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 06:02:01
Great, as if enough animals aren't tortured every year by people.
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 06:07:38
@lili Said
Great, as if enough animals aren't tortured every year by people.

That is true of course and a good point, but this law was in place to protect the public from dangours animals. All the animals on that list could be pets anyway but you needed a licence before, plus most of them are still under "Convention of Inernational Trade in Endangered Species." Owners must be licensed to care for these animals.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#8New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 06:13:38
So by making it easier, more people will do it, meaning more animals will be sold as pets. Anytime money and animals mix, the animals usually suffer, it's so wrong.
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 06:39:32
@lili Said
So by making it easier, more people will do it, meaning more animals will be sold as pets. Anytime money and animals mix, the animals usually suffer, it's so wrong.

Just a wondering, do you ever look on the bright side?
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#10New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 06:42:37
sorry, I've probably seen too many animals skinned alive on youtube...lol I'm a bit jaded on the subject of people/animal interactions...lol
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 06:44:54
@lili Said
sorry, I've probably seen too many animals skinned alive on youtube...lol I'm a bit jaded on the subject of people/animal interactions...lol

you dont want a sloth them? or an emu? But you are right, if an emu is availible as a pet...who the f*** has a garden big enough for that?!?
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#12New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 06:49:02
I personally love animals, it's most other people I don't trust. Not necessarily out of evil intent, but more out of ignorance. Who really knows how to take care of a sloth? or an emu? How many people even know what a coatimundi is, much less how to care for one? Those animals aren't intended for being pets, they care of themselves just fine in the wild as it should be.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 07:40:18
I have a friend who is pet crazy, she has a dog, snake, chincilla, fish and rats and its a bloody lot of work. She takes really good care of them but vet bills, beddings, food and cleaning stuff wipes her out.

Keeping a pet where things like food and bedding arent availiable in the high street supermarket can be hard work.

Sloths are damn cute but i would imagine you would have to be a devoted owner.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#14New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 07:48:10
the problem is, like treebee said, it's hard work, bt people don't realize it. Animals aren't nifty gadgets you buy and then toss out when you're bored with them, which is what many people do with novel pets like that. They see a cool animal and think, "Wow, that would be so cool to have one of those!" and buy one, and then get tired of the stress of caring for it's special needs and all the inconveniences that go along with that. Some people just drop animals off on the side of the road. That animals never learned to fend for itself, it's doomed. Or they forget to monitor their kids, and the kid ends up accidentally killing it or something. It's just wrong.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Oct 05, 2007 @ 14:50:32

Wow! I'mma get me a raccoon!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs