The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

Trouble with a teacher or helping your child-what's your learning style?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#1New Post! Feb 28, 2009 @ 00:29:40
I've been interested in some of the threads about different teachers, parents helping their child, trouble spelling, learning in general, etc., etc.
Example- I hate being read to; might as well bang a pan in my ear. I barely will pay attention. I have to read things for myself and get my hands dirty to learn. I'm a visual/tactile learner. If homework with your child is making you nuts; you may learn in a way completely different than they do. If lectures make you nuts; it's not your intelligence that's poor, it's your learning style. Once you know how you or your child learns, things get much easier. How do you learn? It can be just one of the below or a combination of two or even three. Teachers don't, but should figure out how their students learn best.
Just passing on some info. you may already know.

What are the types of learning styles?

Visual Learners:

learn through seeing... .

These learners need to see the teacher's body language and facial expression to fully understand the content of a lesson. They tend to prefer sitting at the front of the classroom to avoid visual obstructions (e.g. people's heads). They may think in pictures and learn best from visual displays including: diagrams, illustrated text books, overhead transparencies, videos, flipcharts and hand-outs. During a lecture or classroom discussion, visual learners often prefer to take detailed notes to absorb the information.

Auditory Learners:

learn through listening...

They learn best through verbal lectures, discussions, talking things through and listening to what others have to say. Auditory learners interpret the underlying meanings of speech through listening to tone of voice, pitch, speed and other nuances. Written information may have little meaning until it is heard. These learners often benefit from reading text aloud and using a tape recorder.

Tactile/Kinesthetic Learners:

learn through , moving, doing and touching...

Tactile/Kinesthetic persons learn best through a hands-on approach, actively exploring the physical world around them. They may find it hard to sit still for long periods and may become distracted by their need for activity and exploration.
Stigma On February 13, 2010
zombie vomit

Deleted

, New Hampshire
#2New Post! Feb 28, 2009 @ 00:52:35
In school they had us tested for this. I had a tie between Tactile and Auditory.

#3New Post! Feb 28, 2009 @ 01:00:42
@Stigma Said

In school they had us tested for this. I had a tie between Tactile and Auditory.

Good to know some schools do this; not all teachers pay attention. You don't mind listening then?
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#4New Post! Feb 28, 2009 @ 01:02:11
@Stigma Said

That probably meant that you were sensitive to the sound of pulling your fingers out of your ears, that's all.
zombie vomit

Deleted

, New Hampshire
#5New Post! Feb 28, 2009 @ 01:05:13
@readsalot Said

Good to know some schools do this; not all teachers pay attention. You don't mind listening then?

Well, it was for our benefit, the teachers didn't do any of their teaching differently.

No, I like listening.
SimplyxComplicated On June 28, 2023

Fort Worth, Texas
#6New Post! Feb 28, 2009 @ 01:07:07
My Psych/Sociology teacher in high school had us take a test about that, I had a tie between auditory and tactile
zombie vomit

Deleted

, New Hampshire
#7New Post! Feb 28, 2009 @ 16:48:54
@SimplyxComplicated Said

My Psych/Sociology teacher in high school had us take a test about that, I had a tie between auditory and tactile

We are learning twins!
sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Feb 28, 2009 @ 16:58:48
My son never ever revised until the night/morning before an exam!
His teachers found it unbelievable that he passed top grades!
They expected him to fail but he said as soon as he revised he always forgot...so he leaves it until the very last minute.
It worked for him.
sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Feb 28, 2009 @ 17:01:12
@sarky Said

My son never ever revised until the night/morning before an exam!
His teachers found it unbelievable that he passed top grades!
They expected him to fail but he said as soon as he revised he always forgot...so he leaves it until the very last minute.
It worked for him.

My daughter spoke into a recorder recording everything she revised, usually at 1am in the morning when everyone else was asleep! She then played it all back on the morning before the exam.

#10New Post! Feb 28, 2009 @ 17:02:12
My favorite psych professor said,"If it works, do it!" He was right. If everybody could understand how differently we all learn, schools would be so much better.
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#11New Post! Feb 28, 2009 @ 17:05:24
My Kat's is a visual learner, she has mild dyslexia and audio memory delay, the school have been useless with helping her to cope so we find we have to repeat alot of stuff, make lists etc.

Maths is extremely hard and we have to use blocks as aids but to make it more fun we use leaves and snail shells because thats what she's into...what she lacks in one part of her life she makes up for in other areas, theres not many 12 year olds that can take you into a garden and tell you about insects, plants and habitats.
She's also a whizz at science.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs