Physics

There is no pull

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
torrentwolves On February 04, 2009

Grand Rapids, Michigan
#1New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 04:23:45
Can anyone show me evidence of gravitation as a pulling force?
bettyboo On November 19, 2010

, Australia
#2New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 05:29:13
is the fact we stay on the ground gravations force ?? i'm not trying to be funny just curious
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#3New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 05:37:58
Black holes.
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 06:42:13
Throw a brick out of a window
cyrus On February 18, 2008

Deleted

Arabsville, Egypt
#5New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 06:50:43
@torrentwolves Said
Can anyone show me evidence of gravitation as a pulling force?

I gravitated towards her in the middle of the dance floor, whispered a few suggestive things into her ear and PULLED her!
shadowy On March 20, 2014

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 12:06:58
Gravity is caused by mass, you go towards the mass, not away from it, therefore the mass pulls you towards it.
bettyboo On November 19, 2010

, Australia
#7New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 12:41:28
@cyrus Said
I gravitated towards her in the middle of the dance floor, whispered a few suggestive things into her ear and PULLED her!

lexxel On March 22, 2009

adelaide, Australia
#8New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 12:46:51
lower orbit as you fall towards the planet due to the gravity wich pulls you down!
till ya hit the grown and go splat! if gravity wasnt pulling you down you would just float!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 12:48:53
@lexxel Said
lower orbit as you fall towards the planet due to the gravity wich pulls you down!
till ya hit the grown and go splat! if gravity wasnt pulling you down you would just float!

His theory is that it's not gravity thats pulling you but space that is pushing you
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 12:57:29
Gravity is a force of attraction.

Any two masses exhibit a mutual attraction for each other no matter how big or small, no matter how far apart.

You can either look at it as "there is something pushing these masses together" or "these masses are pulling on each other."

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 13:30:47
I don't see the point in this post, perhaps it makes the OP feel intelligent.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 14:03:24
@shadowy Said
I don't see the point in this post, perhaps it makes the OP feel intelligent.

He and I had a bit of a go about physics a week or two ago.

He has some harebrained theories about physics, even though he has never studied it and doesn't understand the most basic concepts about force, mass, and gravity. For instance, he claims that space itself "pushes" on objects and what we call "gravity" is really just the fact that a mass such as a planet "shields" an object from some of the "pushing" force on one side causing it to fall towards the object. He also thought that an object thrown in space will move in one direction at a constant speed forever until it hits something.

He seems unwilling to actually study any physics whatsoever, preferring instead to "think outside the box." The box, in this case, seems to be "all of the data ever collected about mass and motion."

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 14:07:08
Yeh i recall him having this same theory a while ago.

Some people are strange
lexxel On March 22, 2009

adelaide, Australia
#14New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 14:42:44
the earth orbits the sun, spinning on a cycle that equates to 24 hrs in a day. If a can was place on the floor - is it moving? - yes it is
Without gravitational pull that can would be catapulted into space or it would be impossible to put the can down within the first place.
A star is born from gravitational pull of fusion and so forth aswell
torrentwolves On February 04, 2009

Grand Rapids, Michigan
#15New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 19:40:19
@jonnythan Said
He and I had a bit of a go about physics a week or two ago.

He has some harebrained theories about physics, even though he has never studied it and doesn't understand the most basic concepts about force, mass, and gravity. For instance, he claims that space itself "pushes" on objects and what we call "gravity" is really just the fact that a mass such as a planet "shields" an object from some of the "pushing" force on one side causing it to fall towards the object. He also thought that an object thrown in space will move in one direction at a constant speed forever until it hits something.

He seems unwilling to actually study any physics whatsoever, preferring instead to "think outside the box." The box, in this case, seems to be "all of the data ever collected about mass and motion."

And still my question goes unanswered. There is no actual evidence to support gravitational pull.

While I did say that an object in space would travel at the same velocity until it hit another object, I never said that gravity didn't affect it's trajectory/speed. I was just trying to explain myself in a hypothetical, which isn't legal here.

Either way, I'm trying to learn. That's why I asked the question. I'm not going to ask for a crash course in physics on a forum, it's far easier to take a class and learn first hand.

--

Still, I ask. How do we know there is a pull?

Throwing a brick out of a window does not prove there to be a pull, it just shows that there is a force acting upon all objects.

--

Also, as a side question I'd like to ask:

When two objects exert force upon each other, such as the case with a 180 lbs. man and the earth, they both "pull" on each other equally, yes?

These forces are viewed as "pull" but could they not just as easily be pushes?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs