The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
College Life

Should a Rich Kid Accept a College Scholarship?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
pq On December 03, 2011

Deleted

Gainesville, Florida
#31New Post! Jun 11, 2008 @ 16:00:23
@raditz8526 Said
No, mine is through the school from donations given by former students. They based it on my GED score and I keep it based on my GPA. I think I need a GPA of 3.25 or higher to keep it.

Wow. That's a pretty high GPA requirement.

Where are you going to school?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#32New Post! Jun 11, 2008 @ 16:00:46
"Most of my other scholarships"

Yet you said you only qualify for one scholarship?

My point was that everyone "qualifies" for many scholarships, which you prove by having at least 3 yourself.

My other point was that merit-based scholarships apply to everyone equally.
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#33New Post! Jun 11, 2008 @ 16:06:59
@pq Said
Wow. That's a pretty high GPA requirement.

Where are you going to school?

It's not too bad....mine is about 3.55 now.

It's a private college.
pq On December 03, 2011

Deleted

Gainesville, Florida
#34New Post! Jun 11, 2008 @ 16:16:33
@jonnythan Said
"Most of my other scholarships"

Yet you said you only qualify for one scholarship?

My point was that everyone "qualifies" for many scholarships, which you prove by having at least 3 yourself.

My other point was that merit-based scholarships apply to everyone equally.

*sigh* Jon, the one scholarsip I'm talking about is the federally funded one. The others were monies from people via social networks. I already explained that.
pq On December 03, 2011

Deleted

Gainesville, Florida
#35New Post! Jun 11, 2008 @ 16:17:38
@raditz8526 Said
It's not too bad....mine is about 3.55 now.

It's a private college.

Why do I have a feeling that it's a rival of my college?
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#36New Post! Jun 11, 2008 @ 16:18:18
I think that if you qualify for a merit based scholarship you should take it, even if your parents are well off. I got one and I had to work my a** off for that, and it had tough GPA requirements through college, so slacking off and expecting to keep it wasn't an option. I think it was a 3.5 or maybe 3.75... Now my parents didn't (couldn't) pay for my education and the scholarship didn't cover more than tuition and half of my books. I worked to cover the rest of what I needed, and a small grant.

Now, there was a girl in my class, whose parents were well off, and she got a similar one to a different state school. I wouldn't begrudge her that, she earned it too. She was valedictorian. And she's the type of kid who, when she needed an apartment to live in, mom and dad bought the whole building for her.

Now if we are talking Pell grants (Free need based money) I would be annoyed if she was getting it also, because it could be better used for students that don't have other options.
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#37New Post! Jun 11, 2008 @ 16:18:45
@pq Said
Why do I have a feeling that it's a rival of my college?

You're feeling is wrong. lol

I don't go to school in FL.....I'm not any where close to FL actually. lol
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#38New Post! Jun 11, 2008 @ 16:19:10
@pq Said
There's nothing more depressing than to see a car full of freshmen drive by you in a BMW while you're waiting for the bus as a senior.

@pq Said
It's not depressing. It's just annoying

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@pq Said
I was a middle class student that qualified for only 1 scholarship

@pq Said
*sigh* Jon, the one scholarsip I'm talking about is the federally funded one. The others were monies from people via social networks. I already explained that.

You're a very hard lady to keep up with!

Whew!
pq On December 03, 2011

Deleted

Gainesville, Florida
#39New Post! Jun 11, 2008 @ 16:21:33
@raditz8526 Said
You're feeling is wrong. lol

I don't go to school in FL.....I'm not any where close to FL actually. lol

Oh, I'm basing my assumption on you asl. But you could still be a member of a rival school. What state is your school in?
carmensoul On July 02, 2008

Miami, Florida
#40New Post! Jun 26, 2008 @ 22:39:00
I agree with what other people have said. If they are willing to give the kid money for doing well in school, let him have it.
gatechsteph On December 21, 2008

Stockbridge, Georgia
#41New Post! Jul 28, 2008 @ 17:20:30
I think that if you earn it based on how well you did in school then you deserve it. Reagerdless, of whether or not your parents are rich. If you worked hard enough to get it in the first place then you deserve to have the extra spending money to go out when you want. The scholarships I disagree with are the ones given to athletes. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against athletes. I go to a fairly tough college and there was a guy from my high school who got into the same college based on the fact that he is a kick a** football player other than that he is as dumb as a box rocks.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#42New Post! Jul 28, 2008 @ 19:01:54
You should be thankful your school gives athletic scholarships.

Colleges make big, big bucks from their athletic programs. They use a lot of that money to fund the team (by buying equipment, advertising, and, yes, giving scholarships to elite players so that fans want to pay to watch the games). But that money also funds all sorts of other stuff that goes on at the schools - science labs, research projects, other faculty, various campus facilities, etc.

If the school doesn't give scholarships to elite athletes, then they won't be able to recruit those elite athletes, and the teams will be mediocre or poor, and won't make money. In fact they'd probably be a drain on the school instead of a profit center.
starchic777 On February 20, 2009

modesto,
#43New Post! Jan 08, 2009 @ 01:16:47
I think if the parents are willing/would pay the students fee if they did not earn a scholarship- then they should.

There are many people out there that are less fortunate that only receive partial money for college because others that don't need it receive it.

but I also think that if the students parents were not going to pay for the college, then yes by all means except the scholarship, because no matter how rich your parents are, when your just out of high school, chances are you could use the help.
greamsmithafrica On January 15, 2009

africa, South Africa
#44New Post! Jan 08, 2009 @ 10:43:49
no dear scholarship is only for poor people which they can purchase his book and stationery for education so from my point of view rich people kids are not deserving for scholarship.
thanks
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#45New Post! Jan 08, 2009 @ 13:18:10
Scholarships based on merit are applicable to everyone and should be IMO.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs