UK Elections & Politics

SNP in legal bid over BBC TV prime ministerial debate

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 10:39:38
The Scottish National Party (SNP) aims to raise ?50,000 to proceed with legal action over the prime ministerial debate on BBC 1 on Thursday.

The party said it was not trying to stop the broadcast but it wanted an SNP politician included "for balance".

Plaid Cymru said it supported the SNP's stance but would not take part in joint action due to separate legal systems.

Scottish Labour described the SNP's move as "desperate action from a party desperate to appear relevant".

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8642550.stm
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 11:17:36
I dont really know why the BBC wont let them?
\m//O_O\\m/

#3New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 11:24:00
Quote:
Register of Political Parties
As of 15 March 2010 it shows the number of registered political parties as 367 in Great Britain, and 46 in Northern Ireland.

If they did it for the SNP then others could stake a claim for a spot. The debates might take a week and there would be more party leaders there than audience members.

Plus the Northern Ireland unionists have more seats in the commons than the SNP, if the SNP are there the DUP should be too.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 11:27:42
Yeah I was thinking about Ireland and Wales too. The I figured there would be UKIP, Green Party, BNP and all the other mad f***ers trying to get a place.

Yeah I suppose the BBC is right in a way.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 11:36:35
Pretty much that. If the SNP got a platform then every single leader of every single party running in this government (even down to parties such as Legalize Cannabis) would have to be given an equal platform.

What the leadership debates have done is give all parties who are fielding enough candidates to form a parliamentary majority at Westminster a platform. At current that is Labour, Lib Dems and the Tories.

Tbh this is just the SNP trying to stay in the news and play the innocent deprived party. They are losing support fast in Scotland, according to some polls they may even finish fourth in Scotland on May the 6th, which worries them. They've been a complete shambles in the Scottish parliament which has led to them losing a lot of support and the idea of Scottish independence has lost support.

The argument I don't understand is the whole 'there is no-one there representing Scottish views'. These are debates for the Westminster elections, that is the national British elections, of which Scotland is part. One of the people debating represents a Scottish constituency and is from Scotland.

All the SNP represent is greed.

I seriously hate the SNP. I'd vote Tory before I'd vote SNP.
\m//O_O\\m/

#6New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 11:39:19
@jmo Said
The argument I don't understand is the whole 'there is no-one there representing Scottish views'

Isn't Gordon Brown Scottish?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#7New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 11:43:05
@SparklyKatie Said

Isn't Gordon Brown Scottish?

Exactly. They are an utterly ridiculous party. I hate to say it but they are voted in by absolute moron's who want Scottish independence. The people who want Scottish independence on the whole are w**kers who've watched Braveheart too many times and have a stupid pride issue of 'Ah'm Scottish so ah hate the English and we should be independent'.

Ultimately that is what it boils down to, stupid petty xenophobia by a group of people who have an insecurity complex by being part of the same country as England.
\m//O_O\\m/

#8New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 11:48:11
@jmo Said

Exactly. They are an utterly ridiculous party. I hate to say it but they are voted in by absolute moron's who want Scottish independence. The people who want Scottish independence on the whole are w**kers who've watched Braveheart too many times and have a stupid pride issue of 'Ah'm Scottish so ah hate the English and we should be independent'.

Ultimately that is what it boils down to, stupid petty xenophobia by a group of people who have an insecurity complex by being part of the same country as England.

Yeah I've never understood the whole independance thing. I think it's definately a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#9New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 11:54:55
Just watched his f***ing interview with Andrew Marr and instead of coming out with legitimate arguments or points he just says soundbites.

'These television debates haven't dominated the election campaign they've been the election campaign.' All with a sleazy raising of the eye-brows and self-satisfied smile.

I've never met someone I've hated as much as him. Should watch First Minister's questions, he never answers a question. I know politicians have a reputation for that but he literally never answers the questions just deflects and talks about things completely different to the question that is asked.
\m//O_O\\m/

#10New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 12:02:17
@jmo Said

Just watched his f***ing interview with Andrew Marr and instead of coming out with legitimate arguments or points he just says soundbites.

'These television debates haven't dominated the election campaign they've been the election campaign.' All with a sleazy raising of the eye-brows and self-satisfied smile.

I've never met someone I've hated as much as him. Should watch First Minister's questions, he never answers a question. I know politicians have a reputation for that but he literally never answers the questions just deflects and talks about things completely different to the question that is asked.

I've not really took much notice of his interviews before but I know people who despise him for the reasons you said.
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 14:02:00
@jmo Said

What the leadership debates have done is give all parties who are fielding enough candidates to form a parliamentary majority at Westminster a platform. At current that is Labour, Lib Dems and the Tories.

UKIP are fielding over 500 candidates at this election. More than enough to form a government.

https://candidates.ukip.org/
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#12New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 14:19:43
@GeneticAnomaly Said

UKIP are fielding over 500 candidates at this election. More than enough to form a government.

https://candidates.ukip.org/

They aren't going to win a seat though which is what I meant.
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 14:30:14
@jmo Said

They aren't going to win a seat though which is what I meant.

I would like to see that Farage bloke beat the Speaker of the House though .. that would be better than the Portillo defeat!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs