AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#16New Post! Mar 07, 2011 @ 08:24:04
@crazylikeafox Said

If that's true then that's quite low of Huckabee. Polygamy hasn't been supported by the Mormons for 100+ years now (they had to denounce it in order to give Utah statehood, but the fact remains they don't support it anymore). Does he really think attacking Mormons is a legitimate way to compete against Romney?

I'm not sure if he really thinks it, or its just a manipulation that works. People are "afraid" of the Mormons the way they were "afraid" of the Catholics in the past. With Catholics they were afraid that the Pope would control the country, and with the Mormons the fear is that that are all really FLDS, like the people that have been raided because of marriage to underage girls.

But watch, every time he talks about the sanctity of marriage, and how gay marriage is such a bad thing for society, he throws in polygamy. Here was what I've seen on his latest book publicity.
https://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/2011/02/28/huckabee-polygamy/
I've heard him do it in other places, but this was easy enough to link to, that had some transcript and video.

its the little digs, that seem almost harmless taken alone, but when you add them up they start to say something. I personally think its playing dirty, but as a political tactic its effective.
There is no reason to keep throwing polygamy in there other than to make it seem worse. Its like extreme animal rights groups that compare eating a hamburger to raping a baby. I find those type of slippery slope tactics disgusting, and I notice them
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#17New Post! Mar 07, 2011 @ 08:33:37
@DiscordTiger Said

I'm not sure if he really thinks it, or its just a manipulation that works. People are "afraid" of the Mormons the way they were "afraid" of the Catholics in the past. With Catholics they were afraid that the Pope would control the country, and with the Mormons the fear is that that are all really FLDS, like the people that have been raided because of marriage to underage girls.

But watch, every time he talks about the sanctity of marriage, and how gay marriage is such a bad thing for society, he throws in polygamy. Here was what I've seen on his latest book publicity.
https://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/2011/02/28/huckabee-polygamy/
I've heard him do it in other places, but this was easy enough to link to, that had some transcript and video.

its the little digs, that seem almost harmless taken alone, but when you add them up they start to say something. I personally think its playing dirty, but as a political tactic its effective.
There is no reason to keep throwing polygamy in there other than to make it seem worse. Its like extreme animal rights groups that compare eating a hamburger to raping a baby. I find those type of slippery slope tactics disgusting, and I notice them

I agree, I absolutely hate mud slinging. It's the worst part of politics in my opinion, and I've noticed it actually has the opposite effect on me. I lost all respect for Musgrave when she decided to do it, and I was fine with Bennett as my Senator until he used it in 2010 to defeat Buck. It just seems like a product of a weak character to me.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#18New Post! Mar 07, 2011 @ 09:58:58
@crazylikeafox Said

If that's true then that's quite low of Huckabee. Polygamy hasn't been supported by the Mormons for 100+ years now (they had to denounce it in order to give Utah statehood, but the fact remains they don't support it anymore). Does he really think attacking Mormons is a legitimate way to compete against Romney?

It's a legitimate way to get gays and lesbians to vote against him. The mormon church has been the number one supplier of funds for the fight against same sex marriage. Of course they don't supply the funds directly, but they "encourage" their members to donate to groups like the "national organization for marriage"..

So, they blur the line between separation of church and state until it looks like we've all got cataracts, but manage to keep their tax exempt status..

They're really nothing more than a bunch of filthy lieing pimps, and they whore out their congregations to do the actual dirty work on their behalf.
judgetk On March 14, 2011

Hawley, Pennsylvania
#19New Post! Mar 07, 2011 @ 13:00:47
@hoppy Said

Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney on Saturday derided President Barack Obama's health care law -- modeled in some ways after one the ex-governor signed in Massachusetts -- as a misguided and egregious effort to seize more power for Washington.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/05/romney-slams-president-obamas-health-care-law/

All the Republicans thinking about running for prez in 2012 are trying to sound to the right of Attilla the Hun. Then whoever gets the Republican nomination will start denying he or she ever said any of those things.

McKinney, Texas
#20New Post! Mar 07, 2011 @ 22:34:35
@boxerdc Said

It's a legitimate way to get gays and lesbians to vote against him. The mormon church has been the number one supplier of funds for the fight against same sex marriage. Of course they don't supply the funds directly, but they "encourage" their members to donate to groups like the "national organization for marriage"..

So, they blur the line between separation of church and state until it looks like we've all got cataracts, but manage to keep their tax exempt status..

They're really nothing more than a bunch of filthy lieing pimps, and they whore out their congregations to do the actual dirty work on their behalf.

Somehow I don't think Huckabee really cares what gays think. There's no reason to use polygamy and Mormonism in the same sentence. It's like claiming JFK will take all his orders from the Pope during the 1960 election.

Deleted

#21New Post! Mar 07, 2011 @ 23:31:39
@crazylikeafox Said

Somehow I don't think Huckabee really cares what gays think. There's no reason to use polygamy and Mormonism in the same sentence. It's like claiming JFK will take all his orders from the Pope during the 1960 election.

Well, I wouldn't vote for Huckabee either.. or Gingrich for that matter. The right currently doesn't have a single candidate that I would even give a moments consideration to over Obama.

McKinney, Texas
#22New Post! Mar 08, 2011 @ 00:35:56
@boxerdc Said

Well, I wouldn't vote for Huckabee either.. or Gingrich for that matter. The right currently doesn't have a single candidate that I would even give a moments consideration to over Obama.

I don't care for Huckabee and don't really know about Gingrich, but I'm going for Romney.

Deleted

#23New Post! Mar 08, 2011 @ 00:37:32
@crazylikeafox Said

I don't care for Huckabee and don't really know about Gingrich, but I'm going for Romney.

So, you're in favor of the Healthcare law?

Because it's nearly an exact copy of what Romney did in Massachusetts.

McKinney, Texas
#24New Post! Mar 08, 2011 @ 00:44:08
@boxerdc Said

So, you're in favor of the Healthcare law?

Because it's nearly an exact copy of what Romney did in Massachusetts.

1st of all, why do people keep saying it's his law? He didn't write it, the Congress of Mass wrote it. He merely signed it into law. 2nd, I think the process in writing the national law was wrong, but quite frankly I've grown tired of the debate (mostly because it got reduced down to "every 1 I disagree with is an evil idiot!). Support the bill? Hate the bill? I don't care anymore, and it isn't really the reason I like Romney anyways.

McKinney, Texas
#25New Post! Mar 08, 2011 @ 00:45:18
@judgetk Said

All the Republicans thinking about running for prez in 2012 are trying to sound to the right of Attilla the Hun. Then whoever gets the Republican nomination will start denying he or she ever said any of those things.

Attilla the Hun is Right wing? That's quite the accomplishment, considering "right wing" and "left wing" are pretty modern concepts.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#26New Post! Mar 08, 2011 @ 00:53:51
@crazylikeafox Said

Attilla the Hun is Right wing? That's quite the accomplishment, considering "right wing" and "left wing" are pretty modern concepts.

that phrase "slightly to the right of Attila the Hun" always makes me think of Evita, Peron, and the G.O.U.

Deleted

#27New Post! Mar 08, 2011 @ 12:18:13
@crazylikeafox Said

1st of all, why do people keep saying it's his law? He didn't write it, the Congress of Mass wrote it. He merely signed it into law. 2nd, I think the process in writing the national law was wrong, but quite frankly I've grown tired of the debate (mostly because it got reduced down to "every 1 I disagree with is an evil idiot!). Support the bill? Hate the bill? I don't care anymore, and it isn't really the reason I like Romney anyways.

Why do they call it "Obamacare"? Congress wrote it, he merely signed it into law.

McKinney, Texas
#28New Post! Mar 08, 2011 @ 22:06:54
@boxerdc Said

Why do they call it "Obamacare"? Congress wrote it, he merely signed it into law.

Don't ask me, I don't call it that.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#29New Post! Mar 08, 2011 @ 22:09:10
@judgetk Said

Oh no! Say it ain't so! You mean they will make promises they may not be able to keep and NOT get called a liar like some here have done with Obama?
judgetk On March 14, 2011

Hawley, Pennsylvania
#30New Post! Mar 09, 2011 @ 00:54:40
@shinobinoz Said

Oh no! Say it ain't so! You mean they will make promises they may not be able to keep and NOT get called a liar like some here have done with Obama?

Actually I meant like Huckabee saying that Obama's world view was formed by growing up in Kenya where his father and grandfather taught him that the Mau Mau revolution was a fight against British Imperilism. When the press called him on it he said he mispoke. He meant to say Indonesia. Of course that only explains the Kenya part. Obama never met his Kenyan grandfather and he was visited once by his father when he was 10. Indonesia had no Mau Mau revolution and was never a British colony. If Huckabee were to win the republican nomination, he will deny that he ever said any of it. Those liberals are making up lies about him!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs