The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Racism

Poll of Enrolled Native Americans- 67% say Red$kins is racist.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...26 27 28 · >>
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#31New Post! Jun 05, 2014 @ 23:08:00
@Willi Said

please change to "first nations".

I grew up saying native.
then someone told me I am native cause I was born in Chicago.

and I think they had a great point.

we share a land.
your folks were here before mine.

Pretty much why I've settled on it too!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#32New Post! Jun 05, 2014 @ 23:09:00
@shadowen Said

I find it curious that according to a poll published by the washington post 80% of fans dont want the name of the nfl team changed though only 61% sid they actually liked the name. At the same time most supporters polled said that they believed the word “redskin” is an inappropriate term for Native Americans.

Personally, if one group of people find a term that is used to describe them as being offensive then i dont think its for people from outside of that group to insist that its not.

I agree!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#33New Post! Jun 05, 2014 @ 23:12:31
@Leon Said

Well that older poll was conducted 10 years ago, and since then, this new poll has been conducted a decade later whilst media attention and resulting attitudes and sensitivity over the subject has undoubtedly heightened, as one poster in this thread pointed out. So there is that. The other thing to consider, without having actually studied both polls myself, but just going by what the OP presented here, is the difference of the terms "offensive" and "racist". They don't necessarily always go hand in hand. I could find something racist but not necessarily offended by it, and, yes, that would include things said about my own race. We are all racist to some degree, whether we choose to admit it or not. That's not to say it's always okay, as certainly a lot of it isn't and of course a lot of it is therefore understandably offensive.

As far as this issue of the team's name, either way, I think that it would probably be in the best interest of the franchise to change it - if nothing else, just so the focus can return to the sport and away from such controversy. I don't think it would hurt them in the long run, as Teams have changed names, logos, colors, even locations before and remained commercially successful. It's an NFL team, after all, and on the East Coast at that.

That and the older poll was of sports buffs who self identified as being Native American (ever hear tell of that promiscuous Cherokee princess?). Yeah, I trust that.

This one was of enrolled Tribal members. Big difference ennit? Big difference in poll numbers!
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#34New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 00:21:50
@shinobinoz Said

Pretty much why I've settled on it too!

indigenous is what I've heard injun comes from.
plus indigenous is harder to say.

first nations has a good ring to it.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#35New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 00:28:12
@Willi Said

indigenous is what I've heard injun comes from.
plus indigenous is harder to say.

first nations has a good ring to it.

As I posted in another thread - words are a matter of time and situation.

Look how many times we've had to change what is "appropriate" to call other races or cultures ( I don't wanna single anyone out, for I may offend them)

So says the 'Kraut!
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#36New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 00:32:19
@mrmhead Said

As I posted in another thread - words are a matter of time and situation.

Look how many times we've had to change what is "appropriate" to call other races or cultures ( I don't wanna single anyone out, for I may offend them)

So says the 'Kraut!

a sour one?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#37New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 01:07:41
@Willi Said

a sour one?

yummmmy!

Like Kassler Rippchen
mit Sauerkraut!

Or with ribs!!!!!
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#38New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 12:14:07
I agree it's a pretty inappropriate name and I think it's time they changed it. I always cringe when I say I support the Redskins.

But if people really want to keep the name, why don't they just change their logo to a potato?
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#39New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 14:28:45
@annski729 Said

I agree it's a pretty inappropriate name and I think it's time they changed it. I always cringe when I say I support the Redskins.

But if people really want to keep the name, why don't they just change their logo to a potato?

Washington RedSpuds
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#40New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 16:06:37
@shinobinoz Said

yummmmy!

Like Kassler Rippchen
mit Sauerkraut!

Or with ribs!!!!!

I never liked sauerkraut.
the smell stopped me from trying it.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#41New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 16:55:38
@annski729 Said

And then they could move to Idaho and all would be right with the world.

....incidentally, I don't think that keeping the name but ditching the logo is considered an acceptable trade-off.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#42New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 23:36:09
@Willi Said

I never liked sauerkraut.
the smell stopped me from trying it.

Don't let it! Very good cancer fighting & the reason the German peoples were considered so strong after a long winter when everyone else had scurvy!!!!!
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#43New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 23:47:34
@shinobinoz Said

Don't let it! Very good cancer fighting & the reason the German peoples were considered so strong after a long winter when everyone else had scurvy!!!!!

fermented cabbage?

is it like vodka on a salad?
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#44New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 23:50:45
@Willi Said

fermented cabbage?

is it like vodka on a salad?

Fermented foods are good for your gut. Something about probiotics. I am not a fan of saurkraut but I like pickled vegetables. Apparently salami is a fermented food as well. That doesn't sit right mentally but...whatever.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#45New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 23:53:08
@someone_else_again Said

Fermented foods are good for your gut. Something about probiotics. I am not a fan of saurkraut but I like pickled vegetables. Apparently salami is a fermented food as well. That doesn't sit right mentally but...whatever.

salami?
that I like.
am I better putting vodka in my salad?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...26 27 28 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs