Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Philosophy

Path to Peace found through Suffering

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
RoninDaniel On October 23, 2009

Newport, Kentucky
#1New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 02:10:56
Do you think that it is possible to find peace through suffering? Not like Buddhismother religions point of view. More as You allow yourself to suffer terrible hardships andor bring them on yourself as a choice, so that the experience you gain can help others in the advice you can give them or showing them that things could be worse, instead of just saying it.

Thoughts?
Opinions?
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#2New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 03:08:16
Absolutely, Iam living proof..

Not so much that I "allowed myself to suffer" though, "so I could help others", but rather it just happened that way, beyond my control.

I believe God places people, and events in our path at just the right time of need..whether we realize it at the time, or not.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#3New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 03:12:24
Yes, I believe this alot but I don't believe in bringing it on myself.

I do understand that overcoming hard times and learning how to pick yourself up off the ground and continue makes you a stronger person and more durable for even tougher situations in the future. 'That which does not kill you..'

Aside from the trials and tribulations of life I suffer from paranoia which results in my mind, occasionally, dropping into a dark and negative perspective of everything. Unfortunately my dilema is that I cannot control the occurences no matter how hard I try to keep my thoughts positive but the one benefit has been that I'm psychologically learning how to keep my head above water, each time and becoming mentally stonger.

Flash forward to now, fifteen years after my troubles started and I have interesting viewpoints and advice that I can share with others to help them along their way. =)
Rflong7 On October 26, 2009

Deleted

, United States (general)
#4New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 06:36:41
I don't think so...

We only relate to those who share something with us. Be it the suffering, a dream, a wish, something, right? But suffering just to uh, preach... Doesn't seem right.

Would it be real?
Would it be suffering knowing that it's only temporary?

I'm not saying not to share experiences because there will be people going through the problems and it might expand their understanding. But to bring it on yourself just so you can be the Testimonial, just to show what should be done...

I say don't bring suffering Upon Yourself Just to share advice or point of view. That seems arrogant and presumptuous.
Experience it along side of or while helping...

My Opinion only- Which is transitory.
mistyblues On January 15, 2010

Deleted

, Greece
#5New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 06:47:29
@Rflong7 Said

I don't think so...

We only relate to those who share something with us. Be it the suffering, a dream, a wish, something, right? But suffering just to uh, preach... Doesn't seem right.

Would it be real?

I'm not saying not to share experiences because there will be people going through the problems and it might expand their understanding. But to bring it on yourself just so you can be the Testimonial, just to show what should be done...

I say don't bring suffering Upon Yourself Just to share advice or point of view. That seems arrogant and presumptuous.

This be true. And you can not bring suffering on yourself by wanting it to be.
Things, they happen in life, and some can not be controlled.

But to have experience happen natural, then to overcome experience, and share with others for to help, with purpose in mind, yes this I have happen.
mistyblues On January 15, 2010

Deleted

, Greece
#6New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 06:51:25
@Rflong7 Said

I don't think so...

Would it be real?

How you make word appear darker at end of post?
Ellen On November 13, 2009

Banned

#7New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 06:53:47
@mistyblues Said

How you make word appear darker at end of post?

Click on that little "B" on the left of the posting box.
richph On March 07, 2010

Oxford, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 13:34:05
@RoninDaniel Said

Do you think that it is possible to find peace through suffering? Not like Buddhismother religions point of view. More as You allow yourself to suffer terrible hardships andor bring them on yourself as a choice, so that the experience you gain can help others in the advice you can give them or showing them that things could be worse, instead of just saying it.

Thoughts?
Opinions?

I don't think any of us can find peace through any means, I think it's the human condition to suffer, some of us in small doses, others through terrible hardships. I mean, some drug addicts suffer terrible trials at times, but even when they overcome their habits it's still a daily fight to stay off. In other words even when you get through the hardship, there is no 'peace switch' to still your mind.

But I do agree you can help others more ably, if you have gone through a similar experience, it's easy to sympathize, hard to show true empathy.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013