"Why Israel Doesn't Care About Peace"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#31New Post! Sep 08, 2010 @ 13:43:15
@ThePainefulTruth Said

I'm an unintelligent troll and a big jerk.

Finally something truthful!!
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#32New Post! Sep 08, 2010 @ 14:01:28
@jonnythan Said

That they don't care about peace. That peace is not at the top of their worries.

The OP seems to want to understand it as Time saying that Israelis want conflict and war. That's a very different concept from not caring. One is bloodthirst; the other is ambivalence.

That's the way that I understood it after I read the article, but for some reason, when I just read the headline it stuck in my head as "Why Israel Doesn't Want Peace." That was my own comprehension problem, but I wonder how many other people think the same thing when they see it. Given that the average person probably only sees Time in the checkout lane at the grocery store, they probably have the same reaction.

Like I said somewhere earlier in this thread, it's not false or incorrect...it's just a little misleading. But I'll bet it sells magazines.

Deleted

#33New Post! Sep 08, 2010 @ 14:05:20
@someone_else Said

That's the way that I understood it after I read the article, but for some reason, when I just read the headline it stuck in my head as "Why Israel Doesn't Want Peace." That was my own comprehension problem, but I wonder how many other people think the same thing when they see it. Given that the average person probably only sees Time in the checkout lane at the grocery store, they probably have the same reaction.

Like I said somewhere earlier in this thread, it's not false or incorrect...it's just a little misleading. But I'll bet it sells magazines.

They sell Time in the checkout lane at the grocery store?
Last I knew, it was only stuff like this.. You know.. the truthful stuff.

Not a dude.

Deleted

#34New Post! Sep 08, 2010 @ 14:12:43
@boxerdc Said

They sell Time in the checkout lane at the grocery store?
Last I knew, it was only stuff like this.. You know.. the truthful stuff.

Yes. Time has a slot somewhere near the bottom.

Deleted

#35New Post! Sep 08, 2010 @ 14:14:53
@someone_else Said

Yes. Time has a slot somewhere near the bottom.

Ah.. I never look that far down I guess.. But I was really worried about the twins.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#36New Post! Sep 08, 2010 @ 14:19:42
I've never seen Time, Newsweek, or any similar news magazine in the checkout aisle at a grocery store. Near the checkout at some convenience stores, but never next to the candy, tabloids, Archie, and People magazines at a grocery checkout aisle.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#37New Post! Sep 08, 2010 @ 14:40:35
@jonnythan Said

I've never seen Time, Newsweek, or any similar news magazine in the checkout aisle at a grocery store. Near the checkout at some convenience stores, but never next to the candy, tabloids, Archie, and People magazines at a grocery checkout aisle.

I guess it depends on your grocery store. The one where I worked for two years as a checker had those at the bottom of some of the lanes - not every lane had a magazine rack with more than 2 rows.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#38New Post! Sep 08, 2010 @ 18:04:54
Well the case for Israel defending itself hasn't been forwarded it appears, but Time has been knocked down a few notches. That's something anyway. Now for the NY Times.
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#39New Post! Sep 08, 2010 @ 18:05:17
@jonnythan Said

That they don't care about peace. That peace is not at the top of their worries.

The OP seems to want to understand it as Time saying that Israelis want conflict and war. That's a very different concept from not caring. One is bloodthirst; the other is ambivalence.

I kinda thought that way too... thank you for the different perspective on how to read it.

However, I think that his point was that the liberal left media is putting us unjustifiably at risk by being liberal. That's how I took his comment about "American Jews" (I'm giving the benefit of the doubt by assuming that wasn't some antisemitic tone to it) and how dangerous the left is
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#40New Post! Sep 08, 2010 @ 18:12:47
@Junkyard_Jim Said

Good posts. Could be that PT's link didn't come through with the magazine cover photo. I read both and it made me look again at the "conversation" I've been having with a young Lebanese Arab. The young man claims to be a Christian Maronite, and perhaps he is. However, whatever his experiences and education have been inside Lebanon, they have instilled a very deep hate of Israel, Jews and the United States. Curiously, he seems to have a real bias toward Palestinians, as well.

The Israelis have faced this since well before the formation of the Jewish State, back into the late 1800s in the region and through the partitioning of Palestinian lands under the British Mandate for Palestine in 1920 that started the real violence on both sides and the run up to the country of Israel in 1948.

When Israelis realistically look at the attitudes of the Arabs in the surrounding countries (case in point the young man with whom I traded posts), multiply that feeling by millions, read the attacks in the MS media op-eds, the type of reporting Time Magazine provided here, inaccurate information regarding its self-defense and past efforts to achieve peace with its neighbors followed by all-out undeclared wars and attempts at incursions intended to eliminate Israel as a country and Jews as an entity, its no wonder they give little credence to the process at this point in time.

Most are waiting to see what happens with Iran and its government and its stated intention to remove Israel from the global map. Aside from the American public, Israel is fairly isolated at this point in time. Even the present US government has lowered its verbal support, but knows Americans generally want Israel kept safe.

I'd be surprised if the Israelis were actually banking on peace.

I reviewed the past posts and have concluded that israel wants to negotiate a peaceful "treaty" but the Palastinians aseem to want to continue talking.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs