Naked Egg

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Jaimie On September 18, 2016
Pushed by Boredom

St. Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 04:01:38
Has anyone done the "Naked Egg" experiment? I have seen it, but am hesitant to try it just yet.

The idea is to put an egg in about 16 ounces of vinegar, and in about 24-ish hours the shell peels off and the egg becomes a "solid".

Maybe I should just do it.
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#2New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 04:48:46
It does work, but mine had to be done differently. I put it in a small cup and it took 3 days to fully work (at 1.5 days I dumped the vinegar out and put fresh vinegar in). After that I had a really cool naked egg.

I think if I did have it in 16 ounces it may have worked. But I think the issue is the acidity of the vinegar. Not sure about your store, but we can only get distilled vinegar with 5% acidity. I don't know if you can find a higher acidity out there.

Good luck!

P.s- I had looked up the directions online and they didn't say the ounces of vinegar, just to put it in vinegar over night. Lol.
Pushed by Boredom

St. Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 04:53:07
I am so glad to hear someone has done this.

How did the egg feel? Did it bounce? I am so curious about this. I think I am going to try it soon.

Now to see if I have any vinegar. That could be a hunt in this house.
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#4New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 05:14:49
@Jaimie Said

I am so glad to hear someone has done this.

How did the egg feel? Did it bounce? I am so curious about this. I think I am going to try it soon.

Now to see if I have any vinegar. That could be a hunt in this house.

Here's how it looked (pic i took using instagram)... https://instagram.com/p/ebhA_ekHAA/

The egg was kinda rubbery, kind of like a hardboiled egg without the shell. It did bounce, but I only tried it on the counter. I was afraid to try to bounce it much higher. Its cool cause you can see the yoke moving inside. You should try it.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#5New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 06:25:41
@Jaimie Said

Has anyone done the "Naked Egg" experiment? I have seen it, but am hesitant to try it just yet.

The idea is to put an egg in about 16 ounces of vinegar, and in about 24-ish hours the shell peels off and the egg becomes a "solid".

Maybe I should just do it.

We did that in science class then lit a piece of paper, stuffed the lit paper in a milk bottle, then placed the egg on top of the bottle. When the flame went out the egg got sucked into the bottle. Here's a video using a hard boiled egg.

J.R.
Pushed by Boredom

St. Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 19:14:29
@drummerwannabe Said

Here's how it looked (pic i took using instagram)... https://instagram.com/p/ebhA_ekHAA/

The egg was kinda rubbery, kind of like a hardboiled egg without the shell. It did bounce, but I only tried it on the counter. I was afraid to try to bounce it much higher. Its cool cause you can see the yoke moving inside. You should try it.

That is so cool. I think I am going to do it this weekend. Should be the highlight of my weekend.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#7New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 19:21:24
Only five replies but 56 views. I'm guessing many ran in here hoping for pictures.
Pushed by Boredom

St. Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 19:25:14
Well, I would have one if I have done it.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#9New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 20:01:35
Can you eat it?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#10New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 20:07:34
@BozieFozie Said

Can you eat it?

Not unless you enjoy eating raw eggs, as it is still pretty much that. And even if you do, it's not advisable since it had been sitting unrefrigerated for a few days and soaking in vinegar at that.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#11New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 20:09:28
@Leon Said

Not unless you enjoy eating raw eggs, as it is still pretty much that. And even if you do, it's not advisable since it had been sitting unrefrigerated for a few days and soaking in vinegar at that.

But that would make it pickled. So, let me get this straight.....you drop a raw egg into a glass of vinegar and wait until the shell dissolves? OK, so the vinegar makes the inside "cooked"....why NOT eat a pickled egg? It's like the pink things they have on bars sometimes, right?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#12New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 20:12:02
@BozieFozie Said

But that would make it pickled. So, let me get this straight.....you drop a raw egg into a glass of vinegar and wait until the shell dissolves? OK, so the vinegar makes the inside "cooked"....why NOT eat a pickled egg? It's like the pink things they have on bars sometimes, right?

I think pickling an egg requires more than just soaking it in vinegar for a couple days.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#13New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 20:14:47
@BozieFozie Said

Pickled eggs are boiled, before being pickled. A raw egg, with its shell having been chemically removed, is still a raw egg...

Those 'pink' things are usually eggs that have been pickled using the vinegar from jars of pickled beets. Even those are boiled before being pickled.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#14New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 20:15:10
https://www.pickyourown.org/pickledeggs.htm

Yep. They have to be hard boiled and stored in the refrigerator when soaked in the vinegar.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#15New Post! Oct 10, 2013 @ 20:20:36
@Leon Said

https://www.pickyourown.org/pickledeggs.htm

Yep. They have to be hard boiled and stored in the refrigerator when soaked in the vinegar.

I had no idea that you were such a fan of eggs; now, is there not a distinction to be made between chicken- and duck-eggs? How do you get the duck to swallow the pickle?

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs