Forums: Random:
Rants & Raves

License to have kids?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
greyguitar On July 28, 2010

#1New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 19:49:21
You have to have a license to drive a car, to fly a plane, to practice medicine.

Why not to have kids? At least take classes or something...sheesh

Speaking of licenses...new thread!
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 19:50:40
How will you enforce it?

Mandatory forced abortions for pregnancies without a license?

stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 19:54:00
@jonnythan Said
How will you enforce it?

Mandatory forced abortions for pregnancies without a license?

"You hold her, Bill, and I'll punch her in the stomach"
"Right you are, Fred."
"This is for not having a license. This is for having promiscuous sex without birth control. And this is from me, cos I love being a thug with a license to kill babies."

Seriously though, while I can see that the motives are pure, it's a horrible idea. I can't think of a more basic human right or instinct than to pro-create. To insert a government agency in the middle? Urgh.
operaghost On June 13, 2008

Long Island, New York
#4New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 19:56:34
I think there should be a test to determine whether or not you were equipped?psychologically, physically, mentally, financially, emotionally, etc.?to have children.
But how are you going to stop people from producing their offspring.

In fact, if it were logistically possible, I think passing a parenting test (like a driver?s test) should be mandatory, before a person is allowed to reproduce. Of course, a licensing program such as this could never be implemented, short of sterilizing those deemed unfit to have children.
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 20:01:36
@operaghost Said
In fact, if it were logistically possible, I think passing a parenting test (like a driver?s test) should be mandatory, before a person is allowed to reproduce.

Just the phrase "allowed to reproduce" sends a shiver up my spine.

As much as I joke that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to breed, the concept of government controlled pro-creation is incredibly scary.

I know that you acknowledged that it would be impossible to implement. Just sharing my thoughts on your first statements.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#6New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 20:04:53
There are a few things to remember whenever you think about government getting involved and regulating something:

1) The power will, without question, be expanded significantly over time once the foot is in the door.

2) The regulation will be done by a new government agency that will get larger and larder and more and more expensive.

3) The people staffing this agency and actually making the individual decisions will universally be stupid idiots themselves you wouldn't trust with your children anyway.

4) The higher-ups making the big decisions at this agency will be politically motivated, power hungry jerks who don't give a s*** about you.

Picture going to your local DMV and applying for a procreation license.

If, after that thought, you still think it's a good idea, then you're a moron.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 20:09:32
I'd like to see someone try to stop you

#8New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 20:13:26
@jonnythan Said

Picture going to your local DMV and applying for a procreation license.

If, after that thought, you still think it's a good idea, then you're a moron.

Scathing insight nobody said it was a good idea, it was just a question. Jeez.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#9New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 20:14:20
I wasn't attacking you, or directing the moron comment at you
jo08 On February 14, 2010

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 20:17:02
i see ya point yeh....i think there should be alot more parenting classes out there tho at least especially for people that are thinking about having kids and then once they have kids! no harm in that is there

#11New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 21:03:55
I think a good thing would be to enroll all women in free classes for their first 2 pregnancies when they go to their ob/gyn. I don't think they should be a pass or fail system, but a certification in parenting.
If they don't go, they get fined. If the father is involved, he would get fined for not going too.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 21:05:26
@greyguitar Said
I think a good thing would be to enroll all women in free classes for their first 2 pregnancies when they go to their ob/gyn. I don't think they should be a pass or fail system, but a certification in parenting.
If they don't go, they get fined. If the father is involved, he would get fined for not going too.

How do you enforce that? Will people have to register with a government agency when they find out they're pregnant??

#13New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 21:16:10
when they go to the ob/gyn, they get registered as expecting and enrolled in the classes. If they don't show up they get fined.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#14New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 21:18:46
@jonnythan Said
How do you enforce that? Will people have to register with a government agency when they find out they're pregnant??

'People' who are married are already registered with a government agency... The had to obtain a marriage license. And, if they are not married, the birth of the child has to be registered, along with the name of the mother and father... The timing of the registration is of little importance, as long as a means of enforcement is available. Usually, the threat of a large monetary fine is sufficient, and this should be made clear at the time of the registration.

#15New Post! Feb 21, 2008 @ 21:25:06
@saegespaene Said
'People' who are married are already registered with a government agency... They had to obtain a marriage license. And, if they are not married, the birth of the child has to be registered, along with the name of the mother and father... The timing of the registration is of little importance, as long as a means of enforcement is available. Usually, the threat of a large monetary fine is sufficient, and this should be made clear at the time of the registration.

8) Thanks!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs