News & Current Events

WV Bill to yank license of parents of truant kids

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#1New Post! Jan 11, 2011 @ 15:20:33
https://www.newsandsentinel.com/page/content.detail/id/543097/Bill-calls-for-revoking-parents--driver-s-license-for-school-absences.html?nav=5061

What??? Why should parents lose their way to their jobs because their kids don't go to school? sometimes it's not the parents at fault!
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#2New Post! Jan 11, 2011 @ 15:31:21
That's ridiculous. I can bet that there are MANY times that the parents don't know the kids skip school, until long after. You can drop them off, or they get on the bus, but it only takes a few seconds for them to walk back out of the school and be on their merry way.

What should happen, is to have the student do community service if they skip school. They think they are 'mature' enough, then put their arses to work so to speak.

At my daughter's high school, if the are marked absent first thing in the morning, or miss a class, I get a phone call right away. I like that. Plus we live on the same block as her HS, so I can get there ASAP and straighten her a** up if she skipped.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#3New Post! Jan 11, 2011 @ 15:33:55
My high school did the calls in the evening and I'd just pick up the phone and my mom had no clue how much I skipped.
I skipped because I was bored with school. Had nothing to do with my mom.
It's a good thing I graduated early or I probably would have been busted for skipping so much.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#4New Post! Jan 11, 2011 @ 15:41:42
@plebian_angel Said

My high school did the calls in the evening and I'd just pick up the phone and my mom had no clue how much I skipped.
I skipped because I was bored with school. Had nothing to do with my mom.
It's a good thing I graduated early or I probably would have been busted for skipping so much.

Ahh, sneaky.

When my husband was in high school, he skipped quite a bit(bored since he wasn't learning fast enough..pasted all his tests though) and would get into trouble a lot for being mouthy. So what he did was block all the school numbers from their home phone. His parents never got calls, so they thought things we great. Little did they know. His plan failed when they got a call from one of the inner office numbers he didn't know about.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#5New Post! Jan 11, 2011 @ 15:43:29
@Dark_Tink Said

Ahh, sneaky.

When my husband was in high school, he skipped quite a bit(bored since he wasn't learning fast enough..pasted all his tests though) and would get into trouble a lot for being mouthy. So what he did was block all the school numbers from their home phone. His parents never got calls, so they thought things we great. Little did they know. His plan failed when they got a call from one of the inner office numbers he didn't know about.

Ooh busted
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#6New Post! Jan 11, 2011 @ 15:45:53
Yeah...how could parents keep their kids from ditching? I was raised by a single dad who worked in a mill. He was gone before I even got up in the morning and didn't get home until a few hours after school got out.

I would have suffered my own consequences for ditching...suspension, possible class failure. I'm sure they're hoping that the kids will understand that they'd be costing their own parents a lot by their own actions. But look at the situations where minors commit crimes and the parents are held responsible. I'm not sure how many kids would be that concerned.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 11, 2011 @ 16:34:58
Over here, parents can be sent to jail because of their children skipping school so losing their license doesn't actually seem that harsh.

I think it's meant to be aimed at parents who just don't take an interest in their kids education, not ones who are working with the school etc to make sure they go. Either that, or it'll guilt the kids into going.

Don't really understand the correlation between a driving license and truancy though
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#8New Post! Jan 11, 2011 @ 16:43:19
@ninozara Said

Over here, parents can be sent to jail because of their children skipping school so losing their license doesn't actually seem that harsh.

I think it's meant to be aimed at parents who just don't take an interest in their kids education, not ones who are working with the school etc to make sure they go. Either that, or it'll guilt the kids into going.

Don't really understand the correlation between a driving license and truancy though

I think they do the driver's license suspension is easier and more effective than jail or a fine. In the long run, instead of taking up space in an already crowded jail (which costs the state) or trying to collect a fine...they can just revoke your license.

In my state, you can lose your license if you don't pay your child support too.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#9New Post! Jan 11, 2011 @ 22:11:43
Some parents know their children are skipping school and do nothing about it. These parents are few and far between. Most parents are busy working and they do think their children are at school. If a problem child, most parents are probably doing all they can to remedy the situation.

What is a parent to do? I mean are they suppose to sit with their child in all their classes. Put ankle monitor on the child so they know their child is in school?

I can see parents who are neglectful and this proven to suffer consequences but not parents who are taking good care of their child and addressing any and all problems, they are not to be punished,
lil_bear01 On February 18, 2011

Deleted

In my igloo, Canada
#10New Post! Jan 11, 2011 @ 22:53:37
Another 'Well Thought Out' decision made putting the total 'onus' on parents for their child's behaviors.

Way to go! That's telling the kids that they don't have to accept any responsibilities for almost anything anymore until the cops get them in custody and start blaming the parents for having not disciplined their children the correct way. [smile]https://i.tfster.com/cache/bestsmileys.com/thumbs/7.gif">

FREUD has taken over the minds of all people in power... RIDICULOUS!!!!!!
smallBUTTerflies On January 07, 2020
Weaker than homeopat

Plymouth,
#11New Post! Jan 11, 2011 @ 22:59:06
That's silly. That could...hm prevent a kid from going to school via their parents maybe? Once the parents find out they might want to drive them to ensure they get there.

I skipped science class once... I just spent the time in another class.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs