UK Elections & Politics

Lib Dems Scamming Tax Payer

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 19, 2010 @ 17:32:21
Heard it on good Authority that this will blow up soon, but the Lib Dems are still receiving Short money. That's money which goes from the tax payer to the opposition parties to ensure they have the capabilities to keep the government in check etc.

Anyway, the Liberal Democrats received almost ?2 Million pounds (making them in Nick Clegg's words 'Double Millionaires') last year from Short money and are apparently still receiving it, even though they aren't in opposition. If true I feel a scandal a brewing...well not actually as they are propping up the Tories so the right-wing press love them now.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! May 25, 2010 @ 12:02:16
Have you informed the Daily Mail, JMO..? I'm sure they'd love to get in on this one.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#3New Post! May 25, 2010 @ 12:14:47
Nope, but the BBC know about it and are looking into whether an enquiry will be made about it. Depends on whether or not they stop taking the money.
Nub On June 01, 2010

Kensington, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 25, 2010 @ 13:17:52
If this is true, it's outrageous and I'd feel cheated. The Con-Dem alliance will not last, they're like oil and water. And Cameron is one greasy bastard.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! May 25, 2010 @ 15:01:49
@Jennifer1984 Said

Have you informed the Daily Mail, JMO..? I'm sure they'd love to get in on this one.

But would they though? If the Tories and the Lib Dems are playing nice then I don't think The Daily Mail would be as inclined to attack them as they may have been previously.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#6New Post! May 26, 2010 @ 06:13:32
@jmo Said

Nope, but the BBC know about it and are looking into whether an enquiry will be made about it. Depends on whether or not they stop taking the money.

Nothing about it in today's news that I have seen so far.

It's not like a news organisation to hold back on a scoop. Most journos that I know of wouldn't wait to get the full story, they'd go on the air with what they have, break the story and let events take their course from there.

Let's be honest, JMO, if a story like this can get to a private citizen in Edinburgh, do you not think that professional news hounds in London (where it would be most likely to be happening) would have gotten wind of it by now..?

Some digging may be going on, but I'd surmise that it's a pretty safe bet that if there is any substance to your rumour, something will come into the public domain soon..... very soon...

Interesting, but let's wait and see, shall we..?

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#7New Post! May 26, 2010 @ 07:23:56
@Jennifer1984 Said

Nothing about it in today's news that I have seen so far.

It's not like a news organisation to hold back on a scoop. Most journos that I know of wouldn't wait to get the full story, they'd go on the air with what they have, break the story and let events take their course from there.

Let's be honest, JMO, if a story like this can get to a private citizen in Edinburgh, do you not think that professional news hounds in London (where it would be most likely to be happening) would have gotten wind of it by now..?

Some digging may be going on, but I'd surmise that it's a pretty safe bet that if there is any substance to your rumour, something will come into the public domain soon..... very soon...

Interesting, but let's wait and see, shall we..?

It's being dealt with at the moment by Parliament, it isn't a secret, it went round the blogs on the day I posted this thread and literally hours later it was on the BBC website. In light of the rumours about it they are trying to seek parliamentary advice as to a system being created so minor coalition parties can continue to receive short payments. This was after they were accused by the BBC of trying to scam the tax payer. This isn't a great secret, it went round blogosphere and was very quickly picked up by the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/michaelcrick/2010/05/the_lib_dems_respond_on_short.html
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! May 26, 2010 @ 07:30:31
Its sad that, despite hope, all politicians are actually money grabbing bastards.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#9New Post! May 28, 2010 @ 06:18:26
@jmo Said

It's being dealt with at the moment by Parliament, it isn't a secret, it went round the blogs on the day I posted this thread and literally hours later it was on the BBC website. In light of the rumours about it they are trying to seek parliamentary advice as to a system being created so minor coalition parties can continue to receive short payments. This was after they were accused by the BBC of trying to scam the tax payer. This isn't a great secret, it went round blogosphere and was very quickly picked up by the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/michaelcrick/2010/05/the_lib_dems_respond_on_short.html

Thanks for that. I must admit, I hadn't followed up on it. It seems like it's a loophole that needs to be closed, and quickly.

The Liberal Democrat Party shouldn't be claiming the money. they should get their organisation sorted out and give any monies already received back.

We wouldn't want a scandal now, would we...?

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs