The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Religion

Is the purpose of man to grow or is the purpose of man defined as a sinner and th

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
ThunderingEcho On March 25, 2009

Live Oak, Florida
#1New Post! Oct 09, 2008 @ 16:23:14
It seems that about 50 percent of people seems to think that man should be "beat with a stick till he gets better" as he is a sinner. On the other hand, about 50 percent of people seem to think that man's purpose is to grow and change.. as why then should man be given life if he is not to grow and change. The thought for me is simply as these two positions has a great deal to do with tone and thereby the structuring of the world as it forms the base of a great many people's world view of religion I feel that it is the very important concept of Christians belief systems ...What are your views.
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#2New Post! Oct 09, 2008 @ 16:28:10
the purpose of life is to procreate.

Live Oak, Florida
#3New Post! Oct 09, 2008 @ 16:43:33
@cGobla Said

the purpose of life is to procreate.

You're born, you propagate, and you die. What is the definition of rational thinking? Something that is consistent and based of reason?to simply exist to procreate is somewhat irrational as all organisms seem to struggle to survive and breed thereby the meaning of life for human beings can not be defined solely to create more life.

How sad for humans if their existence is simply to procreate another pointless life.
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#4New Post! Oct 09, 2008 @ 18:42:16
I think a man makes his own purpose in life based upon his desires,whatever they may be

Live Oak, Florida
#5New Post! Oct 09, 2008 @ 19:08:48
Well that is a good answer...

However for most people I don't believe they are reflective enough to be aware of their directionally in regards to desires, feelings, or for that matter reason. Thereby we have structured into our society directionally which will lead most to a plane of existence from their needs to be perfect, need to be accepted, need to be love, need to be connected, ect.

The question is then which plane of existence would be more positive for mankind...a plane that was develop from pain due to punishment or a plane that was develop from pain due to growth.
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#6New Post! Oct 09, 2008 @ 19:38:50
@ThunderingEcho Said

You're born, you propagate, and you die. What is the definition of rational thinking? Something that is consistent and based of reason?to simply exist to procreate is somewhat irrational as all organisms seem to struggle to survive and breed thereby the meaning of life for human beings can not be defined solely to create more life.

How sad for humans if their existence is simply to procreate another pointless life.

I honestly do think that humans are here mearly to create other humans. Much like all other animals on this planet.

Pointing out rational thought as an example of what serperates us from other animals is not valid. Rational thought is just another methoud for humans to propagate. Just like birds that have the ability to fly doesn't make them angels.

Flight and rational thought are both addaptations reinforced by thier effectness in a means of getting mates,food and safty.

You can't compair one speicess addaptations as one being better than another. Just because humans don't have the ablity to fly doesn't make us lesser creatures than say birds. Just like birds arn't lesser creatures or any diffrent than us because they don't have rational thought.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#7New Post! Oct 09, 2008 @ 19:50:06
@ThunderingEcho Said

It is only sad if you choose to be saddened by it.

Not at all pointless...procreation of the species...survival of the species...the betterment (or enhancement) of the species.

Why do you need some other reason to exist?

If Humans need a reason to exist, why not other animals? Are you only sad for humans? That would seem a bit selfish.

Of course with the buddhist it is not just humans that "need" or "have" a reason to exist, it is all sentient beings.

Salmon Arm, Canada
#8New Post! Oct 09, 2008 @ 22:20:35
@ThunderingEcho Said

Well that is a good answer...

However for most people I don't believe they are reflective enough to be aware of their directionally in regards to desires, feelings, or for that matter reason. Thereby we have structured into our society directionally which will lead most to a plane of existence from their needs to be perfect, need to be accepted, need to be love, need to be connected, ect.

The question is then which plane of existence would be more positive for mankind...a plane that was develop from pain due to punishment or a plane that was develop from pain due to growth.

I can only speak for myself in this matter. Growth brought on by punishment may be tarnished by the individuals resentment and in some cases non acceptance of the punishment administered. On the other hand growth that that comes from the recognition of mistakes and success I would think to be better.

Live Oak, Florida
#10New Post! Oct 10, 2008 @ 05:08:38
@chaski Said

It is only sad if you choose to be saddened by it.

Not at all pointless...procreation of the species...survival of the species...the betterment (or enhancement) of the species.

Why do you need some other reason to exist?

If Humans need a reason to exist, why not other animals? Are you only sad for humans? That would seem a bit selfish.

Of course with the buddhist it is not just humans that "need" or "have" a reason to exist, it is all sentient beings.

The issue for me is the awareness that human personality become unified throught development of a life goal. Thereby the behavior become purposeful and goal oriented striving for signifivance and superiority which could very well be an evolutionary mechanism at work.

For your existentialism concepts of living...I am for what enables a person to be in the here-and-now thereby the Dalia Lamai concepts of presence which then allow meaning to exist in the now....However I also know what Nietzsche posited about the will to power..."He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

However if you have become a person..(if I may quote Rollo May here) Who has developed the Courage to "be" and thereby overcome the security of dependence and the delights and pains of growth...I salute thee...

Live Oak, Florida
#11New Post! Oct 10, 2008 @ 05:14:24
@kentoo Said

I can only speak for myself in this matter. Growth brought on by punishment may be tarnished by the individuals resentment and in some cases non acceptance the punishment administered. On the other hand growth that that comes from the recognition of mistakes and success I would think to be better.

An the endlighment goes on Truly the intent is the measure of the heart...The walk is the intent of the spirit. The position of the stance the strength of the soul. The openness of the eye the hurt one has experienced.
Stand tall on the mountain with your sword held high telling the world that...this is I.

Salmon Arm, Canada
#12New Post! Oct 10, 2008 @ 14:43:33
@ThunderingEcho Said

An the endlighment goes on Truly the intent is the measure of the heart...The walk is the intent of the spirit. The position of the stance the strength of the soul. The openness of the eye the hurt one has experienced.
Stand tall on the mountain with your sword held high telling the world that...this is I.

Somewhere between how I would have the world percieve and how it actually does so, lies a reality that I only catch glimpses of when I stand in front of a mirror. Is it not our suffering that makes us better?

Live Oak, Florida
#14New Post! Oct 10, 2008 @ 19:13:56
@doubtingthomas Said

Unless my reading comp is in question and trust me it has been in the past.

I think your talking about the universe creating balance using energy bonding and life.

I not exactly sure what this has to do humans and your orignial topic. Are you trying to refute evolutionary theroy with this "universe adaptive mechanism" idea?

I'm confused and yet extreamly facinated with your idea and what proof you have.

As to your begining post, yes evolution is grand. It has created not only the ablity for peacocks to desplay thier feathers to anyone they meet, but language so that we can sort out fake feathers.

The parts become a whole and then the sum of the parts become more...I think that is truth for most people. For instance, within a cell (a whole) how does ribosomes communicatr their needs for amino acids when building a protein...How about those signal recognition particles that direct the traffic. Thereby the whole is more then its parts, so it seems.

As for refuting evolutionary theroy with this "universe adaptive mechanism" idea?...I was not negating evolution I was impleing that the universe was alive and well due to it design mechanism defined as evolution.

As for energy and bonding... another thought could be as the energy/thought goes down the axon and jump across the synapse, thought is not tranmitted till bonding of energy has occured...is energy thought...is thought matter.. is the universe alive.

Then of course if the universe does have said mechanism.. then of course if one is the drone of breeding then one is doom to be the drone of breeding as it is by design.

As for as the topic...what I had for responses has been the cult of women and how much energy is needed for birth and there is evidences of that truth...The hard leg saying yes yes yes yes I love breeding, so it seems. And a young women who was focusing on the "now" as purpose of life.

Then there was one man that was actually reflective who I answered equally reflective.
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#15New Post! Oct 10, 2008 @ 19:43:40
@ThunderingEcho Said

The parts become a whole and then the sum of the parts become more...I think that is truth for most people. For instance, within a cell (a whole) how does ribosomes communicatr their needs for amino acids when building a protein...How about those signal recognition particles that direct the traffic. Thereby the whole is more then its parts, so it seems.

As for refuting evolutionary theroy with this "universe adaptive mechanism" idea?...I was not negating evolution I was impleing that the universe was alive and well due to it design mechanism defined as evolution.

As for energy and bonding... another thought could be as the energy/thought goes down the axon and jump across the synapse, thought is not tranmitted till bonding of energy has occured...is energy thought...is thought matter.. is the universe alive.

Then of course if the universe does have said mechanism.. then of course if one is the drone of breeding then one is doom to be the drone of breeding as it is by design.

As for as the topic...what I had for responses has been the cult of women and how much energy is needed for birth and there is evidences of that truth...The hard leg saying yes yes yes yes I love breeding, so it seems. And a young women who was focusing on the "now" as purpose of life.

Then there was one man that was actually reflective who I answered equally reflective.

Ok, I think I'm following you now. Your ideas follow the same line of reasoning as Kants Trancendental Idealism. Where the mind of the knower makes an active contribution of the experience of objects before us.

The problem with this way of thinking is, there is very little to any proof to it. When I say proof I am meaning the measure of consistant reactions to a object or given circumstance.

Sure the synapss in our minds is a form of electricity, and the universes electricity is all around us. Electricity is just a means to a end, our bodies have created a way to harness its power in a biological cell. To think that the loose energy flowing thoughout the cosmos has controled potential is just theory.

Look at it like this. Take a beach full of sand if you could "control" each individual sand you could make a mountian. A mountian boken down is just controled sand. Our biological mind is just a means of controling smaller forms of electricity, and a lighting bolt is just uncontroled sand. Our minds just like the mountian control this small form of loose electricity and direct it to a larger goal/form.

I think (agian I am frequently wrong) you are saying that the universe has a goal or a balance it is trying to achieve. I don't think you have much proof to this idea, just like I don't have much proof to the contrary. Neither side is right or wrong but remember to prove a theory is valid you must be able to compare and test it vs what is already known.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs