The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Art & Literature:
Literature

Horror/Philosophy/Adventure genre Books?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#1New Post! Jul 20, 2013 @ 20:36:55
Okay, so I made a thread asking what books I should read that are more mature. The next day after making that thread, we were told to read books from the commandant's reading list. The book my "group" have to read is Sun Tzu's Art of War. I heard it is a really good book. Hopefully it can get me to think and learn a lot. I'm actually interested in reading the book and can't wait to start it. I still have to finish the Hunger Games series as well.

To make things simpler, I have discovered a Barnes and Nobles near by. I was wondering if you knew any good books under the Genres Adventure, Philosophy and/or Horror? When I finish these books, I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to read more.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#2New Post! Jul 20, 2013 @ 21:48:31
@Cpat92 Said

Okay, so I made a thread asking what books I should read that are more mature. The next day after making that thread, we were told to read books from the commandant's reading list. The book my "group" have to read is Sun Tzu's Art of War. I heard it is a really good book. Hopefully it can get me to think and learn a lot. I'm actually interested in reading the book and can't wait to start it. I still have to finish the Hunger Games series as well.

To make things simpler, I have discovered a Barnes and Nobles near by. I was wondering if you knew any good books under the Genres Adventure, Philosophy and/or Horror? When I finish these books, I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to read more.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Kesey)
Lord of the Flies (Goulding)
Catch 22 (Heller)
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (Pirsig)
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#3New Post! Jul 20, 2013 @ 21:52:43
@Erimitus Said

Catch 22 (Heller)

All books are either Philosophy and/or Adventure I presume?

#4New Post! Jul 20, 2013 @ 21:58:19
@Cpat92 Said

All books are either Philosophy and/or Adventure I presume?

both philosophy, Adventure and them some. Read those I will get you some more. You can probably get them on line and read them off of your computer.

The Death of Ivan Ilyich (Tolstoy)

The Strange (Camus)

Ecclesiastes (Solomon)

Hamlet (Shakespeare)
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#5New Post! Jul 20, 2013 @ 22:01:58
@Erimitus Said

both philosophy, Adventure and them some. Read those I will get you some more. You can probably get them on line and read them off of your computer.

The Death of Ivan Ilyich (Tolstoy)

The Strange (Camus)

Ecclesiastes (Solomon)

Hamlet (Shakespeare)

I read part of Ecclesiastes. I think I read Hamlet in High School, or at least part of it. I like reading some verses off of Proverbs and Psalms.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#6New Post! Jul 20, 2013 @ 23:57:20
The good one's never got their publications renewed.

The most illuminating ones were never allowed to be published.

#7New Post! Jul 21, 2013 @ 00:01:35
@Cpat92 Said

I read part of Ecclesiastes. I think I read Hamlet in High School, or at least part of it. I like reading some verses off of Proverbs and Psalms.

To everything there is a season... I find Proverbs good but sometimes difficult to understand. Worth the read though.

The Hunger Artist (Kafka)
Metamorphosis (Kafka)
The Trial (Kafka)

#8New Post! Jul 21, 2013 @ 00:02:52
@Electric_Banana Said

The good one's never got their publications renewed.

The most illuminating ones were never allowed to be published.

Can you think of any examples?
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! Jul 21, 2013 @ 00:05:28
@Erimitus Said

Catch 22 (Heller)

Excellent reading list.

#10New Post! Jul 21, 2013 @ 00:07:42
@Eaglebauer Said

Excellent reading list.

and, of course, and thing with the word cheerleader in the title....
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#11New Post! Jul 21, 2013 @ 00:10:53
I suggest anything by Kurt Vonnegut Jr., The Last Mission by Harry Mazer (if you can find it), On The Road by Jack Keroac...

Those are all good starts for things that dabble equally well with adventure and life philosophy.

The Art of War is an important work, and you should get a lot out of it but don't expect it to be good in a "can't put it down" literary sense...it's not a work of fiction really but speaks to a lot about military thinking and ideas that can applied to just about any facet of life on or off the battlefield.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#12New Post! Jul 21, 2013 @ 00:12:30
@Erimitus Said

and, of course, and thing with the word cheerleader in the title....

You've stumped me...elaborate?
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#13New Post! Jul 21, 2013 @ 00:15:05
@Erimitus Said

Can you think of any examples?

The brain in a vat story....not referring to Marx. May have been Ira Levin - it was along his line of thinking.

"Shattered Dreams" or something like that. May just be Zealand that it isn't accessible too - Our Google searches here are very organized.

#14New Post! Jul 21, 2013 @ 00:31:31
@Eaglebauer Said

I suggest anything by Kurt Vonnegut Jr., The Last Mission by Harry Mazer (if you can find it), On The Road by Jack Keroac...

Those are all good starts for things that dabble equally well with adventure and life philosophy.

The Art of War is an important work, and you should get a lot out of it but don't expect it to be good in a "can't put it down" literary sense...it's not a work of fiction really but speaks to a lot about military thinking and ideas that can applied to just about any facet of life on or off the battlefield.

Cats Cradle (Vonnegut) is a must read. Personally I found Kurt's earlier works before 'Slaughterhouse 5' and is later work not worth the effort. A matter of opinion I suppose. I have not read 'The last Mission' (Mazer) or 'On the Road' (Keroac) I will look for them. Thanks.

I found 'Art of War' best read one chapter at a time. (i.e. read a chapter, think about it, discuss it, then move on) Also, while I ramble, I believe the title would be better translated as 'the are of conflict' or 'The art of Strategy' because, as you pointed out, the concepts can be applied to just about any facet of life. For a Marine who could find himself in battle at any moment it is a must read....

#15New Post! Jul 21, 2013 @ 00:33:15
@Eaglebauer Said

You've stumped me...elaborate?

I was a joke son. I say, I made a funny.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs