First Presidential Debate: Who Won??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#61New Post! Sep 27, 2008 @ 07:01:30
...but I'm about to since it's airing again on CNN.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#62New Post! Sep 27, 2008 @ 08:20:15
McCain put up a good fight, but Obama won hands down.
rubylights On November 30, 2021

Miami, Florida
#63New Post! Sep 27, 2008 @ 13:47:36
what shocked me the most about last night's debate was mccain's insistency to not acknowledge senator obama. even when they shook hands before and after the debate, obama looked at him head on and mccain seemed to avert his eyes as if he didn't want to look at the senator... did anyone else notice that??

Miami, Florida
#64New Post! Sep 27, 2008 @ 13:54:28
@diomedes Said
I dunno sometimes to win a debate you don't have to be 'right' so much as you have to make people think you're right. Or if that is not possible than making people think the other person is wrong is how you win. It seems to me that in debates sometimes to be the winner you have to be the bigger a*****e, I learned that when we had debates in English and Debate Club. If you can sway the general opinion from what the other person thinks (even if they're "right" ) to what you think (even if you're "wrong" ) then you are "right" even if you are "wrong" because everyone will believe in you rather than the other person. In the end the only questions you may be left with are these:

We all know that 2+2=4 right?
Well what if we were convinced that 2+2=5 then would that not make it so? In the end if everyone does something or believes something that is wrong and you are the only one that knew the right thing no matter what in the end you are considered "wrong".

as far as a standard debate would be concerned, you would be absolutely right. but in past presidential debates, ppl seemed to gravitate away from the a*****es, as they did in this presidential debate. on cnn they had a crowd reaction monitor and when obama was being a nice guy and giving mccain credit where it was due the ppl responded very well...
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#65New Post! Sep 27, 2008 @ 14:03:37
hmm,
just watching it now, i have to head out and i'm about halfway through,
in my opinion Obama is coming across far far stronger.

anyone any reasons they think mccain won overall?
it really looks from here that obama knew what he was talking about.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#66New Post! Sep 27, 2008 @ 14:07:39
@alexkidd Said

anyone any reasons they think mccain won overall?
it really looks from here that obama knew what he was talking about.

IMO, it doesn't really matter if you know what you're talking about in a debate, you just have to make it seem like you do I think Obama is a more articulate, logical guy, but in debates McCain knows how to make people feel good, so that they see him as "he just gets it."

Miami, Florida
#67New Post! Sep 27, 2008 @ 14:11:10
Well, according to the polls, the nation agrees that it was a draw. Obama is still exactly where he was yesterday, and so is McCain. Obama is comfortably ahead with 286 to McCain's 252. (you need 270 to win)

https://electoral-vote.com/evp2008/Pres/Maps/Sep27.html
Boppin_Guy On March 01, 2024

No Place,
#68New Post! Sep 27, 2008 @ 15:45:32
I think that's pretty strange. I thought it was clear that McCain won the debate, but a lot of people think otherwise.
hairsplitter On March 04, 2009

long beach, California
#69New Post! Sep 27, 2008 @ 16:14:42
i thought that Obama won the debate. he seemed less afraid to answer the questions than did McCain. McCain was trying to be too politically correct. but that is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions !
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#70New Post! Sep 27, 2008 @ 17:04:49
Obama did a better job of clearly stating what he wants and will do as president. McCain used emotion more but wasn't really clear on what he was gonna do. That reminds me of Bush so I think Obama won.

Miami, Florida
#71New Post! Sep 27, 2008 @ 17:26:13
i agree with cGobla. That's what I've always found likable about obama. But McCain stood his ground like i never would have anticipated, even if it wasn't clear exactly what ground he was standing on. Judging by the debate, both are very well qualified. Now, my biggest problem with McCain is Palin. Let's see if she proves me wrong next week at the v-presidential debates. i highly doubt it, but you never know...
procyon On October 27, 2008

auckland, New Zealand
#72New Post! Sep 28, 2008 @ 09:52:17
Our NewZealand(Aotearoa) correspondant based in New York on One Network News(TVNZ's major (news) channel)last night seemed to think the aging Mccain won, but not hands-down. Quote "Turn the volume up, Mccain looked like the overbearing oldster without manners. Turn the volume down, Obama looked like the first-year student awaiting instruction from the seniors". As I'll repeat, the world needs Obama to help heal the wounds wrought by Bush and his capatalist repubilcons in Irak and elsewhere(including the U.S. itself[since when have Americans referred to the U.S. as the Homeland? Scary. Remind you of anyone from 80odd years ago?]). Unfortunately though we outsde the US cannot vote, even though we be affected by it's policies and actions. Obama will go a long way to restoring America's image overseas and righting the wrongs set up by Bush and his Illuminati-cabal masters.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#73New Post! Sep 28, 2008 @ 14:25:46
McCain never once looked at Obama or addressed him directly.

And he never mentioned the middle class.
britneylulu On October 04, 2008

Deleted

Anaheim,
#74New Post! Sep 28, 2008 @ 14:41:58
Who won the Lincoln-Douglas debates? Could be that Douglas won. At least he won the election. Except for the fact that Douglas was a candidate who ran against Lincoln, Douglas has disappeared from the history books, so winning a debate could be a bad omen.

Miami, Florida
#75New Post! Sep 28, 2008 @ 17:03:53
You know what's interesting? McCain never adressed Obama directly or even looked at him. Even in the beginning when they shook hands, McCain kept his eyes averted.

That type of display proves to be counter-productive. Like when Kerry kept looking at his watch when Bush was speaking, it brought down the poll numbers considerably in Bush's favor.

But it didn't hurt McCain this time around. Most of America seems to agree that the debate was a draw...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs