Politics

Election 2020

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...29 30 31 32 33 ...65 66 67 · >>
Darkman666 On about 22 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#451New Post! Oct 03, 2020 @ 23:58:44
i remember jimmy carter was first candidate, i voted at the poll. it was first time, i lifted one leg to to fart inside the vote booth. now, when i go to vote, i don't lift my leg.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#452New Post! Oct 04, 2020 @ 01:05:13
@bob_the_fisherman Said

It is funny. Being in my profession I have done a lot of research, and one thing I have noticed in recent times is just how often articles and webpages that I know exist can not be found using certain search engines because they block them. It happens a lot.

Funny, My profession *is* research and as helping people with that on daily basis is my job, 99% of the time it’s user error. Heaven forbid you tell them that as they lose their s***. But that’s the problem, human memory is not as good as we think it is. Things can be missed in known item searches, but most of the time it’s a simple explanation not a conspiracy.

It’s generally the experience across all our professional literature, conferences, and data. The algorithms are weird, I legitimately cuss out the ones some of our systems at least twice a week. They are just not weird in the way that anti conservative narrative was presenting. They can be improved, it’s just not financially and logistically worth it. Until it becomes so, it will remain unfixed. Like everything else “wrong” in the world.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#453New Post! Oct 04, 2020 @ 01:28:11
@DiscordTiger Said

Funny, My profession *is* research and as helping people with that on daily basis is my job, 99% of the time it’s user error. Heaven forbid you tell them that as they lose their s***. But that’s the problem, human memory is not as good as we think it is. Things can be missed in known item searches, but most of the time it’s a simple explanation not a conspiracy.

It’s generally the experience across all our professional literature, conferences, and data. The algorithms are weird, I legitimately cuss out the ones some of our systems at least twice a week. They are just not weird in the way that anti conservative narrative was presenting. They can be improved, it’s just not financially and logistically worth it. Until it becomes so, it will remain unfixed. Like everything else “wrong” in the world.

I have no doubt that it's often true that user error is to blame, however there are certain things you can directly cut and paste text in quotation marks, use time stamps, a particular domain and other search aids and not find, even when you have the article literally open on the website containing it.

YouTube openly admits it has changed its algorithms, and you can look for certain videos and content creators on their platform and not find them (Tommy Robinson is one obvious example). If you do not have a link to him you can not search for him or his videos. He is also very heard to track down on Goolag, at least here in Australia.

In fact, Goolag even says on the bottom of my search results that some results have been ommitted due to UK legislation (because I am searching as though I am in the UK). I do not get that message when I search as an Aussie, but still can not get to his YouTube channel from the first couple of pages by doing a search I can do for almost anyone else and find them in the first couple of results.

Conclusion: Goolag and others do manipulate search results in the manner some of their employees have said they do (wittingly or not).

I believe they also manipulate search results for nations like Chyna and Pakistan.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#454New Post! Oct 04, 2020 @ 02:22:58
A Wall Street Journal investigation found Goolag blacklists people and sites for ideological, economic or political reasons.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#455New Post! Oct 04, 2020 @ 03:06:06
If it’s hosted on YouTube different rules apply, they can essentially make a video or post unsearchable, based off their terms of service. That’s not the same as search engine algorithms being a conspiracy.

TFS hides a s*** ton of stuff from google with the point system, and a couple other options. Some is automated some I have the power to hide a thread or post if I need to. because it just wasn’t worth dealing with bots and banning people. The reasons are buried in TOS, but that was Tino decision not a google decision.

It’s not so much conspiracy as Tino was inherently lazy to dealing with whiny people.

Youtube has a level of content if you don’t have the link it can’t be searched for and found. Not the same as website on the open web being blocked. Not saying google doesn’t block things, they do. And some of that blocks can be bypassed if your try hard enough. It’s just not always the way it appears. Google is certainly not as good as they try to portray themselves.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#456New Post! Oct 04, 2020 @ 03:31:35
And yes, some site block content based on how you access. Since you mentioned it, I can tell you are using a masked ip that is trying to tell us you are in Europe, but probably aren’t.
If we had a bunch of troll or spam from similar services you are using, when they got blocked you might be too.
Not because Tino or I wanted to make you go away, but because it was easier than dealing with the problems individually. Entire areas and countries are blocked. Most the spam nowadays gets caught with the points filtering. Yo all don’t even see a fourth of it, and as long as it’s not illegal I don’t really care, I can just ignore it. Though it used to be amusing, spammers have really gone down hill lately. Some treebee would let out of quarantine intentionally to take the piss.

It’s not so much a censorship issue, as convenience to operations in a private hosted server.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#457New Post! Oct 04, 2020 @ 03:55:04
I have a confession to make.

>>> I am not a genius. <<<

I know... surprising right?

The point, however, is that I am quite able to fact check the vast majority of bulls*** that is posted either here or on any other social media site out there.

Soooooooo.... if you are having a hard time fact checking the bulls*** you want to post, you are a moron.

MORON.

Correction: YOU ARE A f***ING MORON.

PS
Punches from moderator more than welcome.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#458New Post! Oct 04, 2020 @ 04:43:50
@DiscordTiger Said

Youtube has a level of content if you don’t have the link it can’t be searched for and found. Not the same as website on the open web being blocked. Not saying google doesn’t block things, they do. And some of that blocks can be bypassed if your try hard enough. It’s just not always the way it appears. Google is certainly not as good as they try to portray themselves.

YT also suppresses certain content based on their political leaning it seems. And it has certainly ramped up in recent months (as predicted by many people).

@DiscordTiger Said

And yes, some site block content based on how you access. Since you mentioned it, I can tell you are using a masked ip that is trying to tell us you are in Europe, but probably aren’t.
If we had a bunch of troll or spam from similar services you are using, when they got blocked you might be too.
Not because Tino or I wanted to make you go away, but because it was easier than dealing with the problems individually. Entire areas and countries are blocked. Most the spam nowadays gets caught with the points filtering. Yo all don’t even see a fourth of it, and as long as it’s not illegal I don’t really care, I can just ignore it. Though it used to be amusing, spammers have really gone down hill lately. Some treebee would let out of quarantine intentionally to take the piss.

It’s not so much a censorship issue, as convenience to operations in a private hosted server.

Interesting... Sometimes I can not access TFS for a period of time, could that be spam related?
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#459New Post! Oct 04, 2020 @ 05:17:07
@bob_the_fisherman Said

YT also suppresses certain content based on their political leaning it seems. And it has certainly ramped up in recent months (as predicted by many people).

Interesting... Sometimes I can not access TFS for a period of time, could that be spam related?

Probably, it’s been like a year or two since we have had an outage. And even then it was just a few hours.

I bicker with you, but I haven’t intentionally banned you. -you would be notified. So it has to be through the spam filters. If you are masking your ip or using a vpn or something (which is fine) try a different one or different ip range. As long as your not using those types of services (onions, Vpns etc) to attack the site, it’s not against tos, so we don’t care it’s just that blocking the ones we have is the path of least resistance

There is legit reasons to use all those. It’s just that Tino was lazy, not a huge Soros conspiracy

I wouldn’t be surprised if yt reasons were not similar. Not that they are lazy, but that hiding annoying people is easier on their bottom line rather than they (or Zuckerberg) actually is part of an elaborate plot. The truth is closer to hanlon’s razor. That is just not as interesting to talk about.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#460New Post! Oct 04, 2020 @ 08:12:08
Interesting discussion, Discord and Bob.

Thank you.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#461New Post! Oct 07, 2020 @ 20:51:21
Food for the gullible:

"DOJ Charges mail carrier for dumping ballots"
CNN

Trump and his minions will be all over this claiming
See! SEE!!
Mail-in voting Fraud
Election Fraud!!
Cancel the Election!!!

... when in actuality, it was probably just a lazy carrier dumping mail that happened to have a few ballots in the mix.
Darkman666 On about 22 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#462New Post! Oct 07, 2020 @ 23:04:43
many mail persons will rather those mail advertments throw away than put in mail boxes. the mail person just has to leaves ballots in their trucks and dump in alley dumpster.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#463New Post! Oct 07, 2020 @ 23:57:25
There's certain similarities to 2008 ... the economy feels like it's on the brink and .... is trump going to do something so outrageous to throw the election?

Or if he does lose "legitimately" will he just go on a rampage on the way out?

As to 2008 - I've said it plenty of times before - I think the GOP threw it by picking Palen knowing the economy was headed into a s***-storm.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#464New Post! Oct 08, 2020 @ 00:01:32
@mrmhead Said

As to 2008 - I've said it plenty of times before - I think the GOP threw it by picking Palen knowing the economy was headed into a s***-storm.

Likely scenario.

They didn't count on Obama turning the economy around, to they had to come up with "slowest economic recovery ever".

But conservative Americans apparently will believe anything as long as it is a catchy meme.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#465New Post! Oct 08, 2020 @ 14:25:02
@mrmhead Said

Food for the gullible:

"DOJ Charges mail carrier for dumping ballots"
CNN

Trump and his minions will be all over this claiming
See! SEE!!
Mail-in voting Fraud
Election Fraud!!
Cancel the Election!!!

... when in actuality, it was probably just a lazy carrier dumping mail that happened to have a few ballots in the mix.

Since Trump has apparently given up on legitimately winning this thing, with his self-scorched-earth destruction since retiring form the hospital, I think he has basically zeroed in on his legal strategy post-election.

So yes he will bring this up a lot.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...29 30 31 32 33 ...65 66 67 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs