Entertainment

Dolly Parton causes uproar in Ireland

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#1New Post! Apr 04, 2007 @ 17:49:37
Dolly Parton has caused outrage in Ireland with a series of concerts that have been anything but brilliant.

She has cancelled some shows for technical reasons, whatever that means.At her Belfast show, where seats cost ?75 ($150) a head, they really crammed in a lot of extra seating with some of those WAY back from the stage. Then to make sure that those several hundred of people at the back had no chance of seeing her Dolly personaly refused to let the promoter use the large TV screens either side of the stage to allow large close up shots of her.

What was Dolly trying to hide from the fans?
Did Dolly not sing live?
Has Dolly had more plastic surgery and didn't want close ups of the scars?

For those who had seats close to the stage of on the side terraces of the stadium reports where excellent but there's an aweful lot of bad press going about for Dolly.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#2New Post! Apr 04, 2007 @ 17:51:01
why o why

would anyone go she her
let alone pay to do see her

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#3New Post! Apr 04, 2007 @ 17:55:37
There's an aweful lot of C&W fans in Ireland. So ye pays your money and takes your choice.

Personaly for ?75 I'd want a private show in my living room and her supplying the snacks as well.
USA On May 25, 2020

Chicago, Illinois
#4New Post! Apr 04, 2007 @ 18:09:24
"Dolly good show

...but there's still no screens at country queen's return gig in Belfast
Wednesday, April 04, 2007

By Matthew McCreary

Country superstar Dolly Parton arrived back in Belfast last night for her second concert in the city within a week.

The diminutive singer - who celebrated her 61st birthday just a few weeks ago - hit the stage in front of another sell-out crowd at the Odyssey Arena where she treated fans to a selection of her greatest hits.

And with a repertoire which includes such well-known tunes as Jolene, Nine to Five, Islands in the Stream and I Will Always Love You, there was plenty for them to enjoy.

But television screens for fans further from the stage were apparently absent once again.

More than 100 concert-goers had contacted the Belfast Telegraph and BBC Radio Ulster's Stephen Nolan show after Friday night's performance at the Odyssey to say that their enjoyment was marred because they could not see the country singer.

Concert promoters, Aiken PR, said before yesterday's show: "We can confirm that it is at the artist's discretion whether or not to use screens as part of their shows."

One concert-goer told the Telegraph last night: "There weren't any big screens up that I could see, but I don't think anybody was complaining. The crowd were ecstatic and quite uncritical."

But he added: "I thought the sound was quite bad. It was just a huge wall of sound and there was quite a big echo from the back. It was the worst sound I have ever heard at a concert."

All 8,000 tickets for last Friday night's show - which cost up to ?75 - had sold out inside 20 minutes when they went on sale last year, but Dolly then went on to announce another show, which was staged last night.

Meanwhile, fans in the Republic were left furious after safety concerns forced promoters to call off Saturday night's gig in Millstreet, Cork.

Dolly did her best to make it up to the thousands of disappointed ticket-holders, some of whom had travelled from as far away as Barcelona.

"I was here, ready and excited to do the show but was advised late in the day that there were technical problems too severe to be solved in time to get the show up safely.

"I promise to try to make it up to you," she said.

I just want to see her once, that's all!
Fans began arriving early at the Odyssey Complex in anticipation of their big night with Dolly Parton.

The glorious sunny evening reflected the moods of many who were seeing the country star for the first time.

But for many of the fans the prospect of the concert going ahead without big screens was not too much of a worry.

Singer SHARON NIXON from Londonderry said the chance to see her idol would be "a dream for me".

"I'm really looking forward to seeing her," she said. "If I can't see her I'm going to have to walk up to the front. A friend of mine came on Friday and they were very disappointed. So will I be if I can't see her - I just want to see her once, that's all!"

Friends DYANN TROUPE and Caroline Munnis travelled from Bangor to see the concert.

"I think her personality is great and that she'll be fantastic on stage. She's my idol and I just love her!" said Dyann. "I was disappointed to hear she's not allowing the big screens. But just to be there will be good enough."

And ANNE BLAKE travelled from Lisburn with her niece Leanne Connor and friends to enjoy the show.

"We're hoping we'll get to see her for a start!" said Anne. " We've heard you can't see her but we're right at the front so we don't mind."

HILARY FITZSIMONS from Belfast said she was a lifelong fan of Dolly's.

"She is one of the greats of country music. She's a one-off and there will never be another like her. I have never seen her live but I have always wanted to," she said, but added that on previous visits to the Odyssey she had sometimes had problems seeing the stage.

Professional singer ROSALEEN McQUILLAN from Crossmaglen - who recently visited Nashville in Dolly's home state of Tennessee - said she too was looking forward to seeing the star perform live.

"I think she's absolutely fabulous," she said."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/article2419663.ece
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 04, 2007 @ 19:08:35
yeah thats way too much for a show, same as radiohead or the stones, i know they are good but thats a fair whack out of anyones pocket. Its greedy and i refuse to pay more than ?25 for a ticket now, unless its a festival
secretvixen On December 08, 2009

New York City, New York
#6New Post! Apr 04, 2007 @ 19:12:18
I actually like Dolly Parton but its strange that she acted like such a diva/b**** being that she seemed nice where i've seen her. A friend of my grandmother has met her and she was beyond nice

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#7New Post! Apr 04, 2007 @ 19:29:30
I've never heard of Dolly every getting negative publisity but she really is getting loads fired at her here this week.
doodman On September 17, 2007

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Apr 05, 2007 @ 19:10:17
it's a shame, i like dolly although never seen her, so like all celebs they portray the good side on tv, shame they couldn't always be like that
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#9New Post! Apr 06, 2007 @ 13:42:04
@bendover Said
I've never heard of Dolly every getting negative publisity but she really is getting loads fired at her here this week.

I feel sorry for her. She had a rough life and raised and supported alot of her family members when she got rich. She has a lot of pressures on her and she's getting old...she's probably gettin burnt out.
doodman On September 17, 2007

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Apr 06, 2007 @ 18:25:38
has she still got that ammusment park in the US, they did a documentary on that a while back, looked pretty good
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs