Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#31New Post! Apr 23, 2019 @ 01:50:42
@white_swan53 Said

link

Am I extra thick this morning , because IMHO what this pastor says make absolutely no sense ? the bold text is what I am talking about.

He's right - it is difficult to go about something that's going to make you look like dork to yourself

But as with everything I think people should take some time out of their lives to visit a few churches to see what is going on in their.

I walked away illuminated
Not as a Christian
but rather I was informed as to how simple minded the world is around me and
I stopped taking criticism from others hardly as if taking criticism from competent peers.

Church demonstrated to me how very little people will go out of their way to research and relish in remaining ignorant

Those people in Church? Many of them....had I got to them first and told them that the only salvation from being eaten by the Cosmic Banana was to leave me a twenty note each week I would be a billionaire by now.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#32New Post! Apr 23, 2019 @ 22:47:35
@Electric_Banana Said

He's right - it is difficult to go about something that's going to make you look like dork to yourself

But as with everything I think people should take some time out of their lives to visit a few churches to see what is going on in their.

I walked away illuminated
Not as a Christian
but rather I was informed as to how simple minded the world is around me and
I stopped taking criticism from others hardly as if taking criticism from competent peers.

Church demonstrated to me how very little people will go out of their way to research and relish in remaining ignorant

Those people in Church? Many of them....had I got to them first and told them that the only salvation from being eaten by the Cosmic Banana was to leave me a twenty note each week I would be a billionaire by now.

I tend to agree with you , at least may be your banana church wouldn't be buggering little kids .

, New Zealand
#33New Post! Apr 24, 2019 @ 19:17:34
@white_swan53 Said

I tend to agree with you , at least may be your banana church wouldn't be buggering little kids .

You mean introducing an hour of Christianity to schools?

I think there needs to be some sort of philosophy class for kids
that offers more ideas than just Christianity so that later in life they don't
waste money on docs and meds thinking they've gone crazy because they're beginning to ask themselves some weird questions and coming up with alarmingly absurd ideas. Obviously that won't happen to everyone but if you can get the small handful to accept existential crisis early in life as 'A desire for Science' it would free up a lot of rubber rooms.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#34New Post! Apr 24, 2019 @ 20:35:17
My roommate is a “jack” Mormon and wife catholic.

The daughters are gravitating toward catholic ways it appears.

n/a, New Mexico
#35New Post! Apr 25, 2019 @ 15:54:24
@white_swan53 Said

@Electric_Banana Said

You mean introducing an hour of Christianity to schools?

I think there needs to be some sort of philosophy class for kids
that offers more ideas than just Christianity so that later in life they don't
waste money on docs and meds thinking they've gone crazy because they're beginning to ask themselves some weird questions and coming up with alarmingly absurd ideas. Obviously that won't happen to everyone but if you can get the small handful to accept existential crisis early in life as 'A desire for Science' it would free up a lot of rubber rooms.

No that's not what I meant .
Here this should help ,,,,
buggering ,present participle of bugger

n/a, New Mexico
#36New Post! Apr 25, 2019 @ 16:04:44
@gakINGKONG Said

My roommate is a “jack” Mormon and wife catholic.

The daughters are gravitating toward catholic ways it appears.

My grandpa as a catholic and my grandma was a Baptist .
They somehow made it to 63 years married, before grandpa passed away .

, New Zealand
#37New Post! Apr 28, 2019 @ 08:41:34
@white_swan53 Said

No that's not what I meant .
Here this should help ,,,,
buggering ,present participle of bugger

The churches are catering to the childrens' egos (intentionally) which is sending them onward as judgmental narcissistic elitists (hopefully accidentally).

I would like to see a philosophy class room instituted as early as Jr. High school which covers the basic popular religion institutes but also covers some of the past philosophers and all that stuff that only They Might be Giants, The Beatles and Talking Heads would sing about.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#38New Post! Apr 28, 2019 @ 12:53:48
@Electric_Banana Said

The churches are catering to the childrens' egos (intentionally) which is sending them onward as judgmental narcissistic elitists (hopefully accidentally).

I would like to see a philosophy class room instituted as early as Jr. High school which covers the basic popular religion institutes but also covers some of the past philosophers and all that stuff that only They Might be Giants, The Beatles and Talking Heads would sing about.

comparative religion classes (without bias) ought to be required for for High School graduation.
Darkman666 On about 23 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#39New Post! Apr 28, 2019 @ 14:44:36
I quit sunday school few years earlier graduate from it. I have rough time with my normal high school's homework. then with additional homework from sunday school, I decided why brother when all in the long run, my sunday school homework. who's cares?

at the time, I want to me to be confirmation in or more jewish faith. I was never or really hate going these classes, it wouldn't help or understand my religion more than it did. I really didn't like with passion,at the time, about Israel or what tradition's values behind it, and I question, if Israel should the freedom become a state at the time.

the bottom line, I didn't the hassle of dealing with more subjects of my religion that in long run, I really don't care or get in college. so I quit.

, New Zealand
#40New Post! Apr 28, 2019 @ 16:16:21
@Erimitus Said

comparative religion classes (without bias) ought to be required for for High School graduation.

In previous years I would've thought that suggestion a bit overzealous however with all of the shootings over the past two decades; yeah....back to basics.

, New Zealand
#41New Post! Apr 28, 2019 @ 16:19:31
@darkman666 Said

I quit sunday school few years earlier graduate from it. I have rough time with my normal high school's homework. then with additional homework from sunday school, I decided why brother when all in the long run, my sunday school homework. who's cares?

at the time, I want to me to be confirmation in or more jewish faith. I was never or really hate going these classes, it wouldn't help or understand my religion more than it did. I really didn't like with passion,at the time, about Israel or what tradition's values behind it, and I question, if Israel should the freedom become a state at the time.

the bottom line, I didn't the hassle of dealing with more subjects of my religion that in long run, I really don't care or get in college. so I quit.

If there's an intended psychological mechanism used in churches (for the better) it's getting the pupil to not only realize how often they are being offended by the preachers' offerings of what god said, suggests, commands, etc but to also begin questioning the source of their indifference.

n/a, New Mexico
#42New Post! Apr 28, 2019 @ 18:18:43
I think the reason church membership is down, is because the authors of the bible weren't inspired to factor in change. changing of the times,of society everything changes except the bible .
If there really is/was a god sitting on a cloud inspiring / supervising his message in written word , he described himself as an all knowing god , stands to reason ,he would have known the world would change so much that people in today's world wouldn't know how to begin to apply much less teach his message . And would have sent instructions on the how to, who should and when to make the needed changes . Think about this, all the different christian churches agree on only one thing and that is the bible is the book that god sent for christians , ( of course the agreement starts and ends right there ) and it the written word of god. was started between about 1200 and 165 BC and done in the first century AD .
Totally different worlds then and now.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#43New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 01:15:34
@Leon Said

Membership is declining because they have been focusing on the wrong things.

In my estimation, that tactic has been played out.

If you gave up on your religion, be a good guy and let the faithful do their thing. Or, you could always do the difficult thing of re-affiliating with a local fellowship to make positive change from within.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#44New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 01:22:57
@gakINGKONG Said

If you gave up on your religion, be a good guy and let the faithful do their thing. Or, you could always do the difficult thing of re-affiliating with a local fellowship to make positive change from within.

Or you could just embrace the truth.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#45New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 01:56:51
@gakINGKONG Said

Not clear on what “tactic” you are referring to.

My statement was not about my reasons for leaving, but on why membership in general is declining, in response to the title of this thread.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs