Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
thefourfoldroot On March 02, 2008

London, United Kingdom
#61New Post! Aug 05, 2007 @ 15:20:44
@6dark6dreams6 Said
Why can't you be religious and logical?

Because it's not logical to give up logic. Sure the old agnostic 'you cannot prove that God does not exist' argument can be trotted out, but there are an infinite number of things that could exist, but which we have no evidence for. Imagine any massless, invisibly entity and you cannot prove it doesn't exist. This is not something that a religious person can justifiably hold on to as proof that they are not being irrational.

To believe in a religion is to suspend logic. How would you get around that, when the religion is contradictory?
6dark6dreams6 On August 19, 2010

hereford, United Kingdom
#62New Post! Aug 05, 2007 @ 15:42:48
@thefourfoldroot Said
Because it's not logical to give up logic. Sure the old agnostic 'you cannot prove that God does not exist' argument can be trotted out, but there are an infinite number of things that could exist, but which we have no evidence for. Imagine any massless, invisibly entity and you cannot prove it doesn't exist. This is not something that a religious person can justifiably hold on to as proof that they are not being irrational.

To believe in a religion is to suspend logic. How would you get around that, when the religion is contradictory?

That is all a matter of opinion, to those who are part of a religion it is all very logical to them. You may not see the logic but it is there.
And any way, isn't it logical to give yourself something to believe in instead of living hopelessly each day and being scared of death?
Elite_Dragon On December 24, 2016
The Dragon is in....

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
#63New Post! Aug 05, 2007 @ 15:58:14
I have managed to read all of this thread and agree with points from both sides of the argument. Teaching Children religon is not child abuse but i also don't agree that they should be taught something that ultimatly cannot be proven, I am religous just not a christian i am a Spiritualist with a small hint of wicca now moving in after reading books on Magick.

Children are like blank slates when they are first being taught on this plain. I am beginning to change my argument to they should be taught all religon rather than just one when i am looking at the replies on here and other religous threads. I used to think that they should only be taught bout them if they want to be

finding your own path is much more enlightening than being taught that you have to believe this or else!

Deciding that you want to believe is fine with me but being told that you have to believe is wrong
thefourfoldroot On March 02, 2008

London, United Kingdom
#64New Post! Aug 05, 2007 @ 17:40:56
@elite_dragon Said
I am religous just not a christian i am a Spiritualist with a small hint of wicca now moving in after reading books on Magick. [...] finding your own path is much more enlightening than being taught that you have to believe this or else!

But you have not found your own path. You have a sense of 'spirituality' - which is a rather vague term which denotes a general sense of wonderment combined with an intellectual acknowledgement that we do not percieve all that there is through our senses - and you have latched on to pre-arranged constructs such as the wicca faith. It's kinda like a teenager thinking they are being a counter- social individualist by going to a highstreet store and buying off-the-rack goth clothes

I don't mean to seem offensive, it's just that you are not religious.

To the person who said it's not logical to live without the succour that comes with religion, that's a decent point, i'm just not so egotistical as to believe my continued existence matters.
dumdedum On July 07, 2009

-, United Kingdom
#65New Post! Aug 06, 2007 @ 11:33:03
@thefourfoldroot Said
But you have not found your own path. You have a sense of 'spirituality' - which is a rather vague term which denotes a general sense of wonderment combined with an intellectual acknowledgement that we do not percieve all that there is through our senses - and you have latched on to pre-arranged constructs such as the wicca faith. It's kinda like a teenager thinking they are being a counter- social individualist by going to a highstreet store and buying off-the-rack goth clothes

I don't mean to seem offensive, it's just that you are not religious.

To the person who said it's not logical to live without the succour that comes with religion, that's a decent point, i'm just not so egotistical as to believe my continued existence matters.

Actually you are wrong. Spirutualist and wicca are parts of paganism if Iam correct and are just as much systems of fauth as christianity. Worshipped nature rather than God.....you can't mean not to be offensive if you clearly are
dumdedum On July 07, 2009

-, United Kingdom
#66New Post! Aug 06, 2007 @ 11:36:26
@thefourfoldroot Said
I guess different people have different ideas on what religion is. You seem to be describing people who do not believe in the scripture as it was meant, but instead coat a sense of spirituality in the seemingly validating authority of a religious movement. I would not call such people a member of that religion, even if they themeselves do.

I don't understand how people can be religious and logical...otherwise logical perhaps.

And what? You're saying you have to be brianwashed to be religious? That you can't have ANY logic at all. I'm sure I've said this before but that is why churchs have logical interpretations to the Bible. The Catholic church has the cathecism and the like for that simple reason - to apply our religion to a smarter more sophisticated and knowledgable human race.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#67New Post! Aug 06, 2007 @ 12:18:42
@dumdedum Said
Yeah I know what you're saying. I don't think that religion is nessecarily bad that's all. I think old scriptures such a genesis are to taken lightly. I think it's not good that they are not always interpreted (I was taught that alot of it is metaphorical and a story) but religion isn't bad. It gives comfort to many people, it helps people try to be better in losts of cases. I know there are exreme religions which you are speaking...but for the most part religion has proved to be good in this age for lots of people....so let them believe becasue these are the people who wern't brainwashed and do have logic and reason but believe in God too.

I agree that religion has done a great deal of good. Even if you ignore all the atrocities and repression that has happened in the name of God, religions simply aren't necessary anymore for you to live happily. In developed countries, where people have an excellent quality of life, religion is quite unnecessary since people do not need the comfort and reassurance that religion provides. Most people in Britain are not members of any religion, yet they do not despair all the time and ask what the point is in living, because they have a good life anyway. But more importantly, religion is now getting in the way of important progress, in science and also in other areas such as human rights and equality. Soon even moderate religion will be unacceptable, just as 'extreme' religion has become unacceptable in the modern world.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013