The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Canadians Charged In American Flag Incident...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#61New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 04:13:57
Six people were killed in 1993 when the WTC was bombed; 2,726 died on 9/11.

I'm sorry - they don't equate to me. Period.
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#62New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 04:14:28
@jonnythan Said

I'm not even sure what you disagree with

Are you telling me that flying a pair of planes into the World Trade Center counts as an attack, but setting off a massive bomb with the express intent to destroy both towers doesn't?

I said I based it on the number of dead and wounded. What, you didn't believe me?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#63New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 04:18:06
@Patt Said

Six people were killed in 1993 when the WTC was bombed; 2,726 died on 9/11.

I'm sorry - they don't equate to me. Period.

If the van containing the bomb had been moved just a few yards, it's entirely possible that both towers would have come down and killed significantly more people than that.

@Patt Said

I said I based it on the number of dead and wounded. What, you didn't believe me?

I believed you, but I wasn't - and still am not - completely sure of what exactly you meant.

Are you saying that setting off a massive bomb with the intent to bring down two of the world's tallest buildings, killing everyone inside in the middle of a workday, is only an attack if the plan completely succeeds? That the act of setting off a 1-ton bomb with the intent to destroy the World Trade Center and kill thousands of people is not an attack unless it actually succeeds?
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#64New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 04:23:35
You know what this reminds me of? I read a news article about a study a few weeks ago about how scientists could mess up people's sense of morality by using electromagnetic fields on people's brains. The people who had their morality messed with ended up making morality judgments based on the outcome rather than the intent of a wrongful act. Patt's acting like her brain has been pulsed with electromagnetism right now. Interesting.
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#65New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 04:24:13
@jonnythan Said

If the van containing the bomb had been moved just a few yards, it's entirely possible that both towers would have come down and killed significantly more people than that.

IF is a mighty big word. We'll never know, will we?

Quote:
I believed you, but I wasn't - and still am not - completely sure of what exactly you meant.

Are you saying that setting off a massive bomb with the intent to bring down two of the world's tallest buildings, killing everyone inside in the middle of a workday, is only an attack if the plan completely succeeds? That the act of setting off a 1-ton bomb with the intent to destroy the World Trade Center and kill thousands of people is not an attack unless it actually succeeds?

I said I based my belief on the number of people who died. You said you believed me, but now you want to split hairs. Very fine frog hairs at that. Besides, how the WTC bombings in 93 have anything whatever to do with either 911 or Canada or the Olympics is really a stretch. But, no matter - you go where you please...

I'll argue the point at a later time. Maybe when the matter comes up in a thread regarding all terrorist acts that have taken place on US soil. I told you I didn't feel like arguing it tonight.

Goodnight.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#66New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 04:26:58
@Patt Said
Besides, how the WTC bombings in 93 have anything whatever to do with either 911 or Canada or the Olympics is really a stretch. But, no matter - you go where you please...

Has nothing to do with the thread - has everything to do with a statement that you made in the thread; namely, that NYC had not been attacked in roughly 250 years prior to 9/11.

I suppose I should ask what your opinion that prior to 2001 NYC hadn't been "attacked" in over 200 years has to do with a Canadian replacing an American flag with a Canadian one after an ice hockey victory......

But, no matter. You go where you please.
Cabo On October 26, 2010

~<'))))><, Florida
#67New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 04:28:05
This is how Iwanno's thread started and soon bam LOCKED.

Finish it now or be nice guys.. I like to hear the views ya have. thanks.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#68New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 04:53:06
To me "attack" means when a person or party intends to harm another person or party. They can "attack" in a number of ways. One method was a bomb in a building and the other method was using planes.

To me both were "attacks" as they meant to harm people.

In one "attack" not as many people were killed or hurt but it was still an "attack", in my opinion.

I think what is meant is that one "attack" was more harmful because it killed and hurt more people.

But both are attacks. If 9/11 had not happened I would not be as outraged at the events we are discussing. I would still be angry because I respect what a flag stands for and to me it is a dishonor to the men and women who faught so I can have freedom.

I realize they did not light it on fire and say death to Americans but they did do a misdeed by their actions. I do agree and think if it was not a 9/11 event people would not be as upset as they are.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#69New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 05:03:40
@mark_is_god Said

relevant how?

you claim, we cannot fly the flag.

i point out we can, its just media nonsense that claims you can't.

as much as i love going around in circles, this seems pretty much wrapped up.

I'll put my hands up on this one - you are indeed right. In my initial post, I was being unecessarily flippant about the UK.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#70New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 05:07:35
@Patt Said

Where's 'here'?

You do realize the last time New York was attacked before 9/11 was when Great Britain thought they could come over here and make us submit to their will, right? What did we do about it?

We don't forget attacks on our soil and our way of life. Ever.

You paid the French to sort it for you...

Neither do we - or who funded them.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#71New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 05:11:51
@Cabo Said

davii.
if you forget your history? You have no life then!
You'll get it when ya older.! cheers

It's not about forgetting, at all, but remaining fearful of the memory forever can't be good and certainly lets those who would do it again know you're scared.
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#72New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 13:01:39
@Patt Said

IF is a mighty big word. We'll never know, will we?

I said I based my belief on the number of people who died. You said you believed me, but now you want to split hairs. Very fine frog hairs at that. Besides, how the WTC bombings in 93 have anything whatever to do with either 911 or Canada or the Olympics is really a stretch. But, no matter - you go where you please...

I'll argue the point at a later time. Maybe when the matter comes up in a thread regarding all terrorist acts that have taken place on US soil. I told you I didn't feel like arguing it tonight.

Goodnight.

Actually, if is a reasonable thing here. The 1993 bombing caused sxtensive damage to the Marriott hotel the ballroom of which it was actually parked under. When the building was repaired this area was reinforced and partially survived the collapse of the North Tower right on top of it on 9/11 saving some of the survivors of the South Tower collapse who were trapped on the 3rd floor.

The reason for this reinforcement was the sheer force of the explosion unleashed upon the hotel which also did damage to both towers. Just a little more under the North tower and the damage to the base of the tower would have been much much worse, possibly even causing full or partial collapse as planned.

Don't forget, a lot of these terrorists have training in civil and structural engineering so they knew what they were doing.
The Marriott
The towers
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#73New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 13:14:34
A year seems a bit harsh but it's a f***ing stupid thing to do.

I'm guessing the guys who did it didn't realise it was a 9/11 memorial and assumed it was just a normal flag? Can't imagine they did it to be disrespectful to people who died on 9/11. I don't get why they didn't just replace the flags and leave the US one on the ground, or fly both with the Canadian one above the US one.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#74New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 13:22:35
I think they probably had no idea why the flag was there at all. It was just a prank gone a bit wrong. No one was hurt.

They're not going to get a year in jail. That's just the maximum possible penalty.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#75New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 13:22:44
@Patt Said

What - so I'm NOT allowed to become b****y because I'd rather not argue with you?

I'll be b****y. I don't care about that either.

And it's not even about the flag in question.. It's apparently about frog hair.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs