The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Canadians Charged In American Flag Incident...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#76New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 13:24:39
@jonnythan Said

I think they probably had no idea why the flag was there at all. It was just a prank gone a bit wrong. No one was hurt.

I couldn't agree more. It was a symbolic piece of cloth, not a person. And I doubt that they would have done it if they were in the state of mind to know what it was symbolizing.

A slap on the wrist, and let's all move on.
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#77New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 13:28:59
@DorkySupergirl Said

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/100423/world/world_us_flag_desecration_olympic_celebration

I thought we as Canadians were better than this. Why vandalize and destroy an American flag that was being flown for the victims of Sept 11th. Apparently it was done because Canada won the gold medal for hockey.

I am ashamed this was done.

That was an extremely stupid thing to do,given the crazzines over that flag in the USA! But that, no doubt was the motivation!
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#78New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 18:11:16
Changing someone's post simply because you dislike them and follow them around on the threads is sort of childish. But, you knew that, right Ralph?
Cabo On October 26, 2010

~<'))))><, Florida
#79New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 18:48:54
@davii Said

It's not about forgetting, at all, but remaining fearful of the memory forever can't be good and certainly lets those who would do it again know you're scared.

Scared! of what? WHO' you talkin 2?

Deleted

#80New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 19:19:21
@Patt Said

Changing someone's post simply because you dislike them and follow them around on the threads is sort of childish. But, you knew that, right Ralph?

It's not childish.. it's funny..
You're here for my entertainment.
And now that you're not a "+" member any longer, those of us who want to have civil discussions about politics can do so in the TFS+ portion of the site, so you're also superfluous.
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#81New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 20:21:21
What was it that Arnold said in that movie.....
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#82New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 20:24:43
It's not a tumor?

Deleted

#83New Post! Apr 26, 2010 @ 20:27:50
@Patt Said

What was it that Arnold said in that movie.....

@jonnythan Said

It's not a tumor?

Actually I think that it's this line..

"I was always dreaming about very powerful people, dictators and things like that."
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#84New Post! Apr 27, 2010 @ 13:38:10
Dorky Girl, I admire your defense of our Flag. We would not hold a country accountable, but can hold individuals accountable for this. I live in Texas, and after 911, I was appalled at how many Mexican, not necessarily Mexican Americans, were displaying the Mexican flag during the aftermath. You should always honor the country that you live and call your home.
When you said the American Flag flies side by with the Canadian Flag, I am not sure if you noticed, but I bet the American Flag was higher than the Canadian. In the US, you can fly flags together, but the American flag must be higher than the others.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#85New Post! Apr 28, 2010 @ 00:28:09
I honestly did not notice, Rocket. Thank you for teaching me that one has to be higher, I did not know that.

Here at the hockey rinks and other places, we fly both Canadian and American. Never noticed either if the Canadian one was higher than the American here. We also fly Union Jack at a place here in my city.

I have noticed that most border areas of Canada and US fly both, especially right when you cross in.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#86New Post! Apr 28, 2010 @ 00:37:14
@DorkySupergirl Said

I honestly did not notice, Rocket. Thank you for teaching me that one has to be higher, I did not know that.

Here at the hockey rinks and other places, we fly both Canadian and American. Never noticed either if the Canadian one was higher than the American here. We also fly Union Jack at a place here in my city.

I have noticed that most border areas of Canada and US fly both, especially right when you cross in.

Union Flag

It's only a Union Jack when it's on a boat. Here's my pedantry shining through

We had a funny story to do with Flags recently. The Scottish Nationalist Party, who are the majority party in the Scottish parliament, wanted Edinburgh Castle to have a Scottish flag and not a Union flag flying. Despite the fact Edinburgh Castle is a base for the British Army they thought as it was an Iconic Scottish Landmark that it should have a Scottish flag. IMO it's bulls***, should have a British flag, keep with tradition.

Scottish flag for Scottish affairs, fine, British flag for British affairs, even if the affairs are in Scotland.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#87New Post! Apr 28, 2010 @ 00:50:35
I am going to disappoint you JMO, everywhere here calls it a Union Jack no matter if on land or sea. Now I have learned something new, thank you.

I do agree with you in regards to if it is British affairs a certain flag and Scottish affairs a certain flag. I am not sure but I would think that Canadian embassy in whatever country could fly our flag and not that of the country it is in. It is a building in another country having to do with Canadians.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#88New Post! Apr 28, 2010 @ 06:25:13
@DorkySupergirl Said

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/100423/world/world_us_flag_desecration_olympic_celebration

I thought we as Canadians were better than this. Why vandalize and destroy an American flag that was being flown for the victims of Sept 11th. Apparently it was done because Canada won the gold medal for hockey.

Absolutely agree, Dorky. No matter what anyone says or does, to vandalise a people's flag is a dreadful mark of disrespect.

Perhaps it can be expected in Iran or Lebanon, but surely not in Canada. You ARE far better than that.

I hope that the individuals concerned are caught, named and shamed and made to offer a grovelling apology. They have let your fine country down.

TenaciousDave On February 11, 2022
The Anus Of Satan

Jeffrey Dahmer's Lunchbox,
#89New Post! Apr 28, 2010 @ 06:28:02
@DorkySupergirl Said

I knew you Canadians were bad news.
I just got word from Obama...the nukes are on the way.
You better run,b****es!!
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#90New Post! Apr 28, 2010 @ 06:31:41
@jmo Said

Union Flag

It's only a Union Jack when it's on a boat. Here's my pedantry shining through

We had a funny story to do with Flags recently. The Scottish Nationalist Party, who are the majority party in the Scottish parliament, wanted Edinburgh Castle to have a Scottish flag and not a Union flag flying. Despite the fact Edinburgh Castle is a base for the British Army they thought as it was an Iconic Scottish Landmark that it should have a Scottish flag. IMO it's bulls***, should have a British flag, keep with tradition.

Scottish flag for Scottish affairs, fine, British flag for British affairs, even if the affairs are in Scotland.

Just to be even more pedantic than yourself, JMO, the Union Flag is only a Union Jack when it is flown from the Jackstaff of a Royal Navy ship.

The Jackstaff, for those who may not know, is the short flagpole at the bow of the ship. JACKstaff = Jack therefore Union Flag + Jack = Union Jack.

You learn something new every day, don't you...?

As for the Scots.... Well, I can see where the SNP are coming from. Their argument is not about what Edinburgh Castle is already used for, but more about what they believe it SHOULD be used for. If they have their way, the British Army will soon be sent packing and then they can fly the St Andrew's Cross, or Lion Rampant as they please.

If that is the will of the Scottish people, then good luck to them, I say.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs