Can money buy you happiness?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#16New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 18:02:57
Having money can provide moments of happiness. For some these moments of happiness might add up to a life time of happiness. For others the rest of their life or outlook on life will out weigh these money based happy moments.

Not having money often results in many moments of unhappiness. For some the lack of money will result in too many periods of unhappiness and life will be "unhappy".

For others, the joy and wonder of life and the universe and their family/friends (and perhaps their god) out weigh any negative times... these people do not need money to be happy... they are happy. (I have never met one of these people.... the ones that do not need at least a little money to be happy.)
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#17New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 19:44:13
can money buy you happiness? it couldn't hurt!
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#18New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 19:57:03
There have been a number of studies on this topic actually. They generally conclude that, for someone who is poor, money can buy happiness up to a point. For example, an increase in pay up to between about $60,000 - $80,000 (depending on the study) generally increases happiness, primarily by reducing stress over financial concerns. After that, increases in pay bring *short term* increases in happiness, but then the happiness level fairly quickly goes back to its previous level, with no increase in happiness long term. This is true regardless of the amount of money involved. There are even cases where more money causes less happiness in the long term. This can be seen in cases of people winning the lottery, not knowing how to manage it properly, and ending up bankrupt and destitute within 5 years.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#19New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 20:14:43
@name123 Said

Hi! I'm doing my project on this and I would just like a few opinions of others to include in my research folder. Answer truthfully and give a reason as to why you say what you say!

Thankyou, and all responses are really appreciated!

Idealistically, if life worked as it should (it doesn't) what should bring us the most happiness are those endearing times that we share with friends (snickers), lovers (uh, yeah..suuuure), and family (meh).

For those endearing times to exist people really need very little monetary backing - only that which is necessary to food and shelter and even then other mindsets feel that currency is too organized and synthetic and better replaced with what is known as 'Free Masonry' (Google it).

Sadly, most other humans around you work on a very superficial and ignorant level so what should provide us happiness is impossible.

In reality, money can afford you the excuse to not have to deal with the drama outside the windows of your house and provide you with the materials needed to distract your attention with your hobbies until you quietly pass in your sleep and are set free one evening many many moons from now.

So although not true happiness, money will afford the props needed to keep us occupied until we are laid to rest.
sweetheart5545 On November 06, 2013

, Florida
#20New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 20:17:37
@ThePainefulTruth Said

What I feel certain we all want (whether some of us know it or not) is fulfillment. But that doesn't always equate to happiness. The most miserable unhappy pauper in the world can still find fulfillment. If that pauper earned $100 bullion, he could still find fulfillment as he almost certainly would have on the way to his fortune. If he was given that fortune, he could well then be happy, but it would bring him no fulfillment.

Can you buy happiness by giving your money to the poor?

no,at least I don't think it can,unless,that's what makes you happy.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#21New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 20:28:26
I do not know but would like to give it a try.
Commander4th On May 31, 2021

, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 20:35:53
@chaski Said

Having money can provide moments of happiness. For some these moments of happiness might add up to a life time of happiness. For others the rest of their life or outlook on life will out weigh these money based happy moments.

Not having money often results in many moments of unhappiness. For some the lack of money will result in too many periods of unhappiness and life will be "unhappy".

For others, the joy and wonder of life and the universe and their family/friends (and perhaps their god) out weigh any negative times... these people do not need money to be happy... they are happy. (I have never met one of these people.... the ones that do not need at least a little money to be happy.)

You've pretty much answered your own question

Some people with money are happy, some people without money are happy.
Some people with money are unhappy, some people without money are unhappy.

I dont think there's a definate answer, it all come's down to the individual.

Personally id be pretty happy with a load of money.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#23New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 20:39:24
@Commander4th Said

You've pretty much answered your own question

I do that every time I start drinking before 2:00 PM

, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 20:43:40
@chaski Said

I do that every time I start drinking before 2:00 PM

Is that tea or coffee?
You just wanted everyone to tell you how right you are
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#25New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 20:52:43
@Commander4th Said

Is that tea or coffee?

Long Island Ice Tea!

@Commander4th Said

You just wanted everyone to tell you how right you are

How right you are... and everyone keeps letting me down.

, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 21:06:51
@chaski Said

Long Island Ice Tea!

How right you are... and everyone keeps letting me down.

Long island ice tea? Thats a bit of a sissy drink.
You want a mans drink, something like............. a babycham, Grrr
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#27New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 21:14:11
@Commander4th Said

Long island ice tea? Thats a bit of a sissy drink.
You want a mans drink, something like............. a babycham, Grrr

You caught me in a lie.

I am drinking gin.... Bombay Sapphire.... with ice... none of that martini stuff... just the gin.

, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 21:21:02
@chaski Said

You caught me in a lie.

I am drinking gin.... Bombay Sapphire.... with ice... none of that martini stuff... just the gin.

Thats more like it, i thought with you living in Florida you'd be drinking some fancy cocktail........ ive seen Miami Vice
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#29New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 21:27:56
@Commander4th Said

Thats more like it, i thought with you living in Florida you'd be drinking some fancy cocktail........ ive seen Miami Vice

Nope.

I actually prefer gin, sour mash or rye whiskey, or cheep italian wine.

I am not a "red neck" but I am also not very "refined".

PS
Champagne makes me want to puke.

And all of this leads where? That (at least sometimes) money can buy you (a piece of) happiness.

....depending on the quality of the liquid in the bottle.

, United Kingdom
#30New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 21:45:42
@chaski Said

Nope.

I actually prefer gin, sour mash or rye whiskey, or cheep italian wine.

I am not a "red neck" but I am also not very "refined".

PS
Champagne makes me want to puke.

And all of this leads where? That (at least sometimes) money can buy you (a piece of) happiness.

....depending on the quality of the liquid in the bottle.

Ill drink to that
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs