Relationships

Can men and women be "just friends"?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
empircist On January 09, 2009

Seattle, Washington
#1New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 01:52:16
One of those age-old questions, but what do you think-- can men and women be platonic friends (or are there always romantic/sexual undercurrents)?

And as you might have suspected, I raise the subject because it's come up in my relationship. My boyfriend doesn't dig all of the close and long-lasting friendships I have with guys. He's not asking me to terminate them, but clearly wants me to come to that conclusion myself. And he claims that ALL men feel the same.
Stigma On February 13, 2010
zombie vomit

Deleted

, New Hampshire
#2New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 01:54:24
That's such a hard question, I hope this thread goes somewhere, because I will really enjoy reading it.
Sontaran On January 11, 2012

Deleted

Perth, Australia
#3New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 01:54:36
im the same as your man

..... we are guys, we know how blokes think
honorbound On June 18, 2009

McDonough, Georgia
#4New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 01:55:06
of course
i have a lot of friends who are girls
and that's it we're friends
there is no relationship beyond that
rider On September 28, 2009

Deleted

The first one, Australia
#5New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 01:56:15
This is old and hashed before,but it's all up to the individual,if you feel your both big enough to just be friends and nothing else,you can and it's good to just have a friend rather than someone to rely on to get jealous.

Seattle, Washington
#6New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 01:58:12
@Sontaran Said

im the same as your man

..... we are guys, we know how blokes think

crap...

so do you also think that girls just have guy friends because they want to be surrounded by men --i.e. just for the attention? i just don't know what the he** (can we swear in here?) to say. is there any way a girl could convince you that there's nothing to be worried about?
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#7New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 01:59:32
of course,
i have a lot of close friends who are girls.

someonw who thinks that anybody you are close to you automatically want to bone has his own problems.

Seattle, Washington
#8New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 02:01:57
@rider Said

This is old and hashed before,but it's all up to the individual,if you feel your both big enough to just be friends and nothing else,you can and it's good to just have a friend rather than someone to rely on to get jealous.

it's an old and hashed topic, i know. but there's never really an answer. i'm not even trying to say i'm right [that such platonic friendships can exist perfectly easily]. i'm also wondering if i'm being a "bad" partner for thinking he should just get used to it.
DevilsPurity On February 12, 2010

other side of the comp screen,
#9New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 02:03:03
I think it's perfectly possible to be "just firends". I have lots of friends that are guys. One of my best friends, actually. We're very close, but have no romantic or sexual interest in each other; he's been dating my other best friend for well over a year.

I really think it's a mindset. It's easy for me to be friends with guys because, honestly, I view guys that way. I don't look at guys as potential dates, they're just friends. In contrast, I have a friend who's one of those girls who's gorgeous and knows it, and despite having curves in some wrong places ( ) coud have any guys she wants - and she knows it. So she views guy as potential dates, because that's what they've always been. I'm not as pretty, guys treat me as a friend. I really think it's a mindset thing.
RrrendezVoodoo On April 23, 2009

Deleted

, New York
#10New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 02:03:22
@empircist Said

crap...

so do you also think that girls just have guy friends because they want to be surrounded by men --i.e. just for the attention? i just don't know what the he** (can we swear in here?) to say. is there any way a girl could convince you that there's nothing to be worried about?

It more or less depends on your guy, and if you have his trust. Even if there is no reason for him not to trust you, men tend to get jealous about that. It's just natural defense, and it's nothing to worry about.

As long as you're not hooking up with these guys, your guy will be fine.
Stigma On February 13, 2010
zombie vomit

Deleted

, New Hampshire
#11New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 02:05:29
@alexkidd Said

of course,

someonw who thinks that anybody you are close to you automatically want to bone has his own problems.

I think the question isn't meant to be taken that far. I think of it as, do you find the people you are close with attractive. That doesn't mean you want to hop in there pants. lol

Seattle, Washington
#12New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 02:07:15
@alexkidd Said

of course,

haha yes. but he seems to be more concerned with the emotional connections (i'm talking about long-standing friendships) than the carnal business.

so you have plenty of girl-friends who you've never considered dating, right? (my boyfriend said a guy would never befriend a girl who he didn't have some interest or potential for interest in)
Sontaran On January 11, 2012

Deleted

Perth, Australia
#13New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 02:08:58
@empircist Said

crap...

You posted the the question, im posting how i feel on the subject matter.

sounds to me you are looking for positive re-enforcement from people aggreeing with your point on the matter.
RrrendezVoodoo On April 23, 2009

Deleted

, New York
#14New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 02:11:00
@empircist Said

haha yes. but he seems to be more concerned with the emotional connections (i'm talking about long-standing friendships) than the carnal business.

so you have plenty of girl-friends who you've never considered dating, right? (my boyfriend said a guy would never befriend a girl who he didn't have some interest or potential for interest in)

That isn't necessarily true. I have a few friends who are girls who I have no sexual interest in. Again, it more or less depends on the individual. I'm not trying to start something, but...I mean, if he's paranoid about guys feeling like that, maybe feels like that himself?
darkangel28 On February 08, 2019
im a maplestoryadict

damn it started snowing again,
#15New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 02:11:39
i think men and women can be friends but not if u have sex first sex will ruin it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs