Boris Johnson has corona virus

He will be okay promise
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#617New Post! Mar 30, 2020 @ 15:02:15
@gakINGKONG Said

Boris Johnson has corona virus

He will be okay promise

Pathetic seeing how many of the left have delighted in his illness and have publicly wished him a terrible death. Extinction rebellion are also rejoicing in the rising death toll.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#618New Post! Mar 30, 2020 @ 15:39:21
@nooneinparticular Said

What you've said actually backs what I said.

Only it doesnt.

@nooneinparticular Said

What you've said doesn't actually say that 'The EU only allocates 32% of what is caught in the UK's EEZ' which implies that the EU have allowed the UK to catch only 32% of what is caught in their EEZ. What you've said is that 'only 32% of what is caught in the UK's EEZ is landed by UK fishermen', which could be down to any number of possible factors.

Only that's not what i said at all. It's pretty simple. The EU determine how many fish each member state can catch in UK waters. This allocation is broken up by species. For example the French get the vast bulk of cod allocation. The overall quota for each country takes into account individual catch limits by species. Under the EU quota system the UK is only allowed to catch 32% of the total fish caught in their waters...as I have said many, many, many, many times.

Let me try this one more time. The EU allocate fishing quotas for UK waters. The EU allocate to the UK 32% of the TAC. Simple.

@nooneinparticular Said

Whether or not it succeeds is an entirely separate point from how dangerous or reckless something is. Crossing a ravine on a rickety old bridge or a single fallen tree and hoping you don't fall may work, but that doesn't then mean that attempting it wasn't dangerous or reckless.

You see a rickety bridge, others see a bridge worthy of Brunel himself. Again, just because you think a course of action is reckless doesnt make it so.

@nooneinparticular Said

The UK plans to compensate fisherman who lose access to EU waters?

Not that I am aware of, and why would they? Those contracts are subject to the condition that the UK is a member of the EU. What the UK government has done is commit itself to honouring existing contracts as they pertain to access to British waters by British boats.

@nooneinparticular Said

keep in mind that:

A) As has been already established, I was speaking generally about European Law (which includes both the EU and the UK) and not international law in that post, and

B) If you'll notice, I was speaking of the way in which quotas themselves were assigned by the EU to each member country. I commented on how one of the considerations was 'tradition' and how illogical it seemed.

Ok firstly EU law isnt tradition...it's law. So saying fishing in EU waters was determined by tradition and wasnt codified into law is still wrong. Secondly, the quotas are LAW. I don't think you can even call the quotas based on tradition. They were simply determined by fishing in the period immediately before the CFP came into force. Anyway, again, EU mandated quotas are LAW.

@nooneinparticular Said

Here's a consideration to ponder. What makes you so sure that "The disparity is down to EU mandated quotas" if you yourself also acknowledge that the UK government has been distributing it's own quotas in such a manner where "The VAST MAJORITY of the UK's existing quota is allocated to just 25 businesses"?

Here we go again. Because the EU dictate that the quota for UK registered boats fishing in UK waters cannot exceed 32% of the total EU mandated TAC. That's why. Why is this so hard for you to understand? I don't know how else to put it. The TAC set by the EU for fishing in UK waters is 100%. Each applicable member state is then allocated a portion of this 100%. The UK's portion is 32%. Now EU law dictates that the UK government must distribute it's 32% of the total TAC among UK registered vessels (which is actually another problem). The fact that the vast bulk of the 32% is allocated to just 25 businesses has absolutely nothing at all to do with the disparity re EU quotas. The disparity is down solely to the CFP.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#619New Post! Mar 30, 2020 @ 15:40:00
Note - it is generally reported that 93% of UK fishermen voted leave. Wonder why that was?

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#620New Post! Mar 30, 2020 @ 15:48:45
The EU are still failing their member states by a lack of action. For weeks they have talked and still no aid for member states like Italy, Spain and Portugal. Instead it's Russia and China who are providing aid. No wonder that a recent nationwide poll in Italy found that only 4% of people felt that the EU was doing enough to help the country fight Covid-19 whilst 67% stated that they believed that being in the EU was a disadvantage. Furthermore, the same poll showed that 88% of Italians feel that the EU is failing to support their country.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#621New Post! Mar 31, 2020 @ 12:23:27
The North/South divide within the EU has never looked bigger...
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#622New Post! Mar 31, 2020 @ 12:42:29
@shadowen Said

The EU are still failing their member states by a lack of action. For weeks they have talked and still no aid for member states like Italy, Spain and Portugal. Instead it's Russia and China who are providing aid. No wonder that a recent nationwide poll in Italy found that only 4% of people felt that the EU was doing enough to help the country fight Covid-19 whilst 67% stated that they believed that being in the EU was a disadvantage. Furthermore, the same poll showed that 88% of Italians feel that the EU is failing to support their country.

The irony.
"Stay out of our business.
We're independent, we don't want your regulations and expenses"

Then a tragedy hits
"Where are you? We need help"
We've see this in the states.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#623New Post! Mar 31, 2020 @ 13:04:22
@mrmhead Said

"Stay out of our business.
We're independent, we don't want your regulations and expenses"

EU member states have in effect agreed to surrender more and more of their independence to Brussels whilst accepting more and more laws, rules and regulations from the EU. All the while their financial contributions to the EU have been steadily rising.

As stated, in the case of EU member states they have - over time - effectively agreed to give Brussels more and more power, and to be subject to more and more rules and regulations made by the unelected Eurocrats. At the same time they have accepted less and less national sovereignty and ever increasing payments to Brussels. The majority felt that the pros out weighed the cons. In countries like Italy and Spain however many people are seeing the complete lack of support from the EU and wondering if being a member is really worth it. Certainly being in the Eurozone makes taking independent economic action much more difficult, and in many cases impossible.

NE, Ohio
#624New Post! Mar 31, 2020 @ 14:34:12
@shadowen Said

As stated, in the case of EU member states they have - over time - effectively agreed to give Brussels more and more power, and to be subject to more and more rules and regulations made by the unelected Eurocrats. At the same time they have accepted less and less national sovereignty and ever increasing payments to Brussels.

How to boil a frog.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#625New Post! Mar 31, 2020 @ 15:02:41
@mrmhead Said

How to boil a frog.

Are you having a go at the French!!!?

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#626New Post! Apr 01, 2020 @ 18:55:47
Euro bonds anyone?

NE, Ohio
#627New Post! Apr 01, 2020 @ 19:12:21
@shadowen Said

Euro bonds anyone?

Do you take Bitcoin?

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#628New Post! Apr 05, 2020 @ 18:08:10
The Eurozone is going to require a significant bailout. Much bigger than what happened in response to the GFC. At least this time around British taxpayers won't see billions of their hard earned going to Brussels to prop things up.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#629New Post! Apr 05, 2020 @ 18:09:29
Speaking of Brussels. They still can't agree on a rescue package for member states re Covid-19, but they can agree to fine Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#630New Post! Apr 07, 2020 @ 03:31:28
@shadowen Said

Only it doesnt.

Only that's not what i said at all. It's pretty simple. The EU determine how many fish each member state can catch in UK waters. This allocation is broken up by species. For example the French get the vast bulk of cod allocation. The overall quota for each country takes into account individual catch limits by species. Under the EU quota system the UK is only allowed to catch 32% of the total fish caught in their waters...as I have said many, many, many, many times.

Let me try this one more time. The EU allocate fishing quotas for UK waters. The EU allocate to the UK 32% of the TAC. Simple.

Uh, are you sure that's how it works? I was under the impression that each member state of the EU is assigned species quotas and then were allowed to fish in any waters the EU have access to?

If the quotas were set up in the way you describe, keeping track of mobile fishing populations in relation to those quotas would be next to impossible, and fishing them would be incredibly difficult. Since fish migrate between countries waters, a TAC constrained by national borders could end up being worthless, and in some cases even detrimental. If you get a TAC for a fish species that migrates later, or faster, than the quota you're allowed, then it doesn't really matter what the TAC says you can catch if you physically cannot reach the fish.

Quote:

You see a rickety bridge, others see a bridge worthy of Brunel himself. Again, just because you think a course of action is reckless doesnt make it so.

If you refuse to even acknowledge the possibility of risk, then we have nothing more to discuss on the matter. I guess all those roadblocks and complications were just freak accidents or something, right?

I do find it funny that you have now said that leavers knew the risks, but refuse to elaborate on what risks those were, and now refuse to acknowledge that the risks the 'other side' have been pointing out for years now are real risks to begin with.

Quote:

Not that I am aware of, and why would they? Those contracts are subject to the condition that the UK is a member of the EU. What the UK government has done is commit itself to honouring existing contracts as they pertain to access to British waters by British boats.

Was this ever in doubt? I don't really understand why this needed to be said? Of course access to British waters by British boats would be maintained. What reason would they have to end?

Quote:

Ok firstly EU law isnt tradition...it's law. So saying fishing in EU waters was determined by tradition and wasnt codified into law is still wrong. Secondly, the quotas are LAW. I don't think you can even call the quotas based on tradition. They were simply determined by fishing in the period immediately before the CFP came into force. Anyway, again, EU mandated quotas are LAW.

I don't know how many different ways and times I can say 'when talking about tradition, I was speaking more generally, and was not in fact saying that fishing in EU waters was never codified into law'

Quote:

Here we go again. Because the EU dictate that the quota for UK registered boats fishing in UK waters cannot exceed 32% of the total EU mandated TAC. That's why. Why is this so hard for you to understand? I don't know how else to put it. The TAC set by the EU for fishing in UK waters is 100%. Each applicable member state is then allocated a portion of this 100%. The UK's portion is 32%. Now EU law dictates that the UK government must distribute it's 32% of the total TAC among UK registered vessels (which is actually another problem). The fact that the vast bulk of the 32% is allocated to just 25 businesses has absolutely nothing at all to do with the disparity re EU quotas. The disparity is down solely to the CFP.

No it doesn't, it says that the UK cannot exceed 32% of the total EU mandated TAC in total and not specifically in UK waters. An important difference.

Suppose that migration patterns of fish change and North Sea Haddock suddenly moves to off the coast of Glasglow or something. Such a change doesn't necessitate any change whatsoever in internal EU law. This is because quotas are assigned by country as a political entity and not as a geographical location. The EU doesn't dictate where countries can fish for how long, it only dictates how much they can catch in total.

Quote:

The TAC set by the EU for fishing in UK waters is 100%. Each applicable member state is then allocated a portion of this 100%.

No it isn't. Each country is not given a portion of leeway to fish in other countries waters. Each country is given access to other countries waters through treaties. The quotas are a separate issue. Everyone in the EU can fish in the same waters, regardless of nationality, with limited restrictions set by national governments. Each countries quota does not reflect their level of access, it assumes as free of access as possible from the outset.

If it WERE set up like this, it runs into the same issue as above. Namely that fish are mobile resources, and as such erecting limits on what can be caught in certain areas is preposterous and extremely difficult. It's partly why the Cod Wars happened in the first place.

Quote:

Now EU law dictates that the UK government must distribute it's 32% of the total TAC among UK registered vessels (which is actually another problem).

As opposed to every other solution I can think of which would elicit cries of the unelected EU handing down mandates to individual people and attempting to control their lives. Honestly, if the EU were actually looking for a power grab, then this set-up certainly doesn't show it. It honestly looks like the bare minimum of enforcement, perhaps even to detriment.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...40 41 42 43 44 ...73 74 75 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs