The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Belief in God hinges on the reality and morality of hell.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 8 9 · >>
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#91New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 21:56:26
@someone_else Said

Say what?

When you sit in with different church factions, listen to the preacher's depiction.

The Pentacostal's told me that their god was such that if his name was ever revealed by the pastor, the pastor would suffer the severest of damnations. Definitely not a graceful god as even his son bled in fear of him as he was dying on the cross.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#92New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 22:00:41
@Electric_Banana Said

When you sit in with different church factions, listen to the preacher's depiction.

The Pentacostal's told me that their god was such that if his name was ever revealed by the pastor, the pastor would suffer the severest of damnations. Definitely not a graceful god as even his son bled in fear of him as he was dying on the cross.

Sounds like some really bad doctrine there...but it still didn't explain your first comment that I was asking about.

, New Zealand
#93New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 22:15:15
@someone_else Said

Sounds like some really bad doctrine there...but it still didn't explain your first comment that I was asking about.

Ok, let me explain that I haven't spent a whole lot of my life in church. Just a few times to humor religious family members and for a short while when I first went nuts and went running for an exorcism.

But, within Christianity, not all Christian denominations are the same. And that is why there is argument amongst themselves.

No one has told me this but putting the clues together, all but one of the denominations stand as false prophets and are worshiping Satan - hence you get 'righteousness' and 'EGO' and 'Hell.'

I've often times seen Christianity as lesson one in multi tiered classroom. The next, elevated, class from Christianity would be Buddhism or the Tao where in we come to accept that all is intended and light and dark are both important parts of life that must be balanced and accessed in moderation.

Throughout these lessons "Hell" isn't done away with completely but the wrathful and hateful fire and lava idea is.

Within Buddhism it is suggested that the very life we live right now is constructed in such a manner that it can actually be viewed as a 'hell' if the individual's cognitive abilities are not strong enough to default in positive perception of our life.

For every time you've considered 'ending it all', there has also been a time that you've been happy to be alive.

It is through cognition that we eventually find our peace, joy and happiness within this very environment.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#94New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 22:20:34
@Electric_Banana Said

Ok, let me explain that I haven't spent a whole lot of my life in church. Just a few times to humor religious family members and for a short while when I first went nuts and went running for an exorcism.

But, within Christianity, not all Christian denominations are the same. And that is why there is argument amongst themselves.

No one has told me this but putting the clues together, all but one of the denominations stand as false prophets and are worshiping Satan - hence you get 'righteousness' and 'EGO' and 'Hell.'

I've often times seen Christianity as lesson one in multi tiered classroom. The next, elevated, class from Christianity would be Buddhism or the Tao where in we come to accept that all is intended and light and dark are both important parts of life that must be balanced and accessed in moderation.

Throughout these lessons "Hell" isn't done away with completely but the wrathful and hateful fire and lava idea is.

Within Buddhism it is suggested that the very life we live right now is constructed in such a manner that it can actually be viewed as a 'hell' if the individual's cognitive abilities are not strong enough to default in positive perception of our life.

For every time you've considered 'ending it all', there has also been a time that you've been happy to be alive.

It is through cognition that we eventually find our peace, joy and happiness within this very environment.

Okay, so what it boils down to is that you're limiting the idea of Hell to a literally burning lakes of lava idea which is found in Fundamental Christianity (AKA the mortal enemy of GreatestIam) and Islam.

Just as you said not all Christian denominations are the same, neither are every Christian's concept of Hell.

, New Zealand
#95New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 22:27:14
@someone_else Said

Okay, so what it boils down to is that you're limiting the idea of Hell to a literally burning lakes of lava idea which is found in Fundamental Christianity (AKA the mortal enemy of GreatestIam) and Islam.

Just as you said not all Christian denominations are the same, neither are every Christian's concept of Hell.

Well it sounds like Islam is getting all bent out of shape over a psychological lesson that isn't even taken seriously by its preachers.

However, rather instructional or not, I do find a danger to the games the fundamentalists are playing but that is meat for another thread.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#96New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 22:33:47
@Electric_Banana Said

Well it sounds like Islam is getting all bent out of shape over a psychological lesson that isn't even taken seriously by its preachers.

However, rather instructional or not, I do find a danger to the games the fundamentalists are playing but that is meat for another thread.

Not really, that meat is for this thread.
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#97New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 22:35:10
@Electric_Banana Said

@someone_else Said

did yall say meat? mmmmm steak sounds so good right now

, New Zealand
#98New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 22:41:15
@someone_else Said

Very well, on the journey to psychological help people overcome distrust in their reality - is there any wise reason to present this material to those whom don't already have that problem and are doing fine?

Also, let us say that you are on your death bed and your children gathered around - have you considered the psychological damage and ongoing nightmares they will suffer every time they not only miss mommy but direly fear the agonizing and horrendous torture her soul is now going through?

It's all creepy thoughts to put in little innocent children's heads so that they all, ultimately, grow up disturbed and saddened.

I'm not that kind of a witch but it would seem that many fundamentalist Christians are.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#99New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 22:47:24
@Electric_Banana Said

Very well, on the journey to psychological help people overcome distrust in their reality - is there any wise reason to present this material to those whom don't already have that problem and are doing fine?

Also, let us say that you are on your death bed and your children gathered around - have you considered the psychological damage and ongoing nightmares they will suffer every time they not only miss mommy but direly fear the agonizing and horrendous torture her soul is now going through?

It's all creepy thoughts to put in little innocent children's heads so that they all, ultimately, grow up disturbed and saddened.

I'm not that kind of a witch but it would seem that many fundamentalist Christians are.

That is an odd thought and a little hard for me to follow, but I'll try.

If an innocent child has that image put into their head...it is likely put there by their fundamentalist Christian parents. So, when Mommy dies, the child will logically assume that Mommy went to Heaven.

Unless they're WBC kids, most children assume dead people are in Heaven.

, New Zealand
#100New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 22:52:16
@someone_else Said

That is an odd thought and a little hard for me to follow, but I'll try.

If an innocent child has that image put into their head...it is likely put there by their fundamentalist Christian parents. So, when Mommy dies, the child will logically assume that Mommy went to Heaven.

Unless they're WBC kids, most children assume dead people are in Heaven.

Yes, but their parents will not be the end all when it comes to their Christian upbringing - they will now wander the world open and subject to others of the same faith whom might innuendo to them differently.

Also - is it a good thing to teach a child to accept and condone a society that would allow a hell to exist?
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#101New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 22:56:08
@Electric_Banana Said

Which denominations are worshiping Satan?

, New Zealand
#102New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 22:57:10
@deal1 Said

Which denominations are worshiping Satan?

I haven't sat through all of them but it's a good guess that there would only be one that isn't.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#103New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 22:57:52
@ssnot_me Said

did yall say meat? mmmmm steak sounds so good right now

I'm getting ready to eat steak and potato...yummmm!!!!
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#104New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 22:58:55
@Electric_Banana Said

I haven't sat through all of them but it's a good guess that there would only be one that isn't.

Give me an idea...

, New Zealand
#105New Post! Jan 07, 2011 @ 23:01:23
@deal1 Said

Give me an idea...

I would visit and sit in with the different denominations. The more you are in touch with your intellect (the god in you) the more you will come to find what does and doesn't sound right.

The denominations won't completely waste your time though, they will all have some good food for thought to offer while you're their attending.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs