I'm a non smoker and hate when someone smokes in the car
I'm a non smoker and I don't mind
I smoke but wouldn't smoke with passengers
I smoke and drive regardless
View Results
Silly_Me On April 22, 2020

In a cave, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 17:28:52
If you were/are the driver, do you think its your right to smoke in your car despite carrying non smoking passengers? ( assuming they were against it) or would you refrain simply because you were/are carrying non smokers?

What if you are a non smoker? would you expect a smoking driver to not smoke when you are a passenger?

When it comes to smoking in cars, whose rights should take priority?
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 17:33:04
I'd expect them to open a window if they did smoke, I'd prefer not to be in the same car as a smoker who is smoking, but I have to put up with it as my whole family smokes. Whenever I said anything they just tell me to deal with it, which was great when I'd rock up to my cathedral choir smelling of smoke (hardly set a good precedent).

I'd never tell someone to stop if it was their car, but I hate it.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#3New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 17:34:20
No that wouldn't be fair. Plus second hand smoke is pretty dangerous. I wouldn't try to risk it for anything. My grandfather does it sometimes and I hate it. That's why when I drive my car there will be a major no smoking rule. I hate the smell of cigarettes. So if I was a smoker and the driver I wouldn't smoke in the car because that would be unfair to the passenger(s).
Silly_Me On April 22, 2020

In a cave, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 17:42:11
I don't smoke, my car and house are completely NON smoking zones! if given the choice of being a passenger in a smokers car, I would opt for a bus however, when I was a passenger and didn't realize people would be lighting up, I opened the window wide and stuck me head half out which led to wind sweep and bad hair! but at least I could breathe
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#5New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 17:43:57
It seems to me that if the car is non smoking, then they will also have a non smoking driver assigned to the car. To do otherwise wouldn't make sense. And I wouldn't put up with it as a passenger.

EDIT. I just realized you are speaking about a car; I'd read it to be a train for some reason.

I guess if it's the smokers car, they have a right to do what they like.
I woulndn't ride in the same car with a smoker. It's even more dangerous in that tight space, whether the windows are open or not.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#6New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 17:46:44
Don't smoke, so wouldn't smoke as a passenger or a driver.
With my latest car - no smoking or eating in the car allowed.
AND - if I was a passenger, and the driver lit up, I would
tolerate it ---- but most are more considerate of others.
Most smokers nowadays are considerate, not smoking around others.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#7New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 18:00:21
When I smoked and had a non smoking passenger, I did not smoke in the car out of courtesy - unless they said they didn't mind. It is an enclosed space and I didn't feel right about inflicting my bad habit on someone else.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#8New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 19:53:00
I am a non-smoker but up until recently, most of my friends were smokers. I don't mind if they smoke as long as they put the window down. Most of our current smoker friends are nice enough that they'll wait until they're out of the car to light up, but if we're on any length of a journey they'll ask "do you mind if I have a smoke?" before they roll down the window and smoke.

They usually do not ask when kids are in the car...and by that I mean they don't smoke either.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#9New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 20:05:28
I smoke, and I always drive with the window open, so I smoke in the car even if I've got non smokers with me.

Now, if those non smokers were children I would refrain, but if they're adults, they can put up with it, or they can walk.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 20:12:24
I won't get into the car of a smoker. It's incredibly horrible. The smell is so, so rank and it gets into your clothes and hair. You reek of stale smoke until you shower and wash your clothes.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 20:28:21
Having been a smoker for around three years I wouldn't have cared, but now I've given up for good I would rather someone didn't smoke in their car while I was in there... the smell is horrendous
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#12New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 20:32:20
I'm a nonsmoker and I used to allow people to smoke in my car. It bothered me a little bit, but because both of my parents used to smoke in the car with me all throughout my childhood, I did get used to it.

But as soon as I got pregnant, I banned smoking from the house and my car. If I smell cigarettes now, I gag and nearly throw up.

It really does stick in the walls. I've been Febreze-ing the hell out of my house. And once the used-to-be smoke room starts being renovated into the nursery, I'm going to scrub the hell out of the walls, ceiling and floor. Then going to buy the paint with Febreze odor control in it.
cammie On May 04, 2013

Deleted

, Australia
#13New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 21:13:43
Its illegal to smoke in your car whilst travelling with a minor here now. Heavy fines. It should be illegal full stop imo.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#14New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 21:16:08
If its their car then they should be able to smoke in it. If someone does not like it, too bad. I think though if the passenger was a child or had some sort of medical issues that is much different.
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#15New Post! Mar 15, 2012 @ 21:45:18
I'm a non-smoker living in a family of smokers, although they always smoke outside. My dad apparently used to smoke indoors, but that changed when I was born. I had extremely bad asthma when I was young and cigarette smoke was a huge trigger, so they cut back quite a bit. My parents used to smoke a pack a day between the two of them.

I had one unpleasant experience when I was working with a few peers I knew from school. We were riding in the van on our way to a job site, I was sitting in the back and the windows didn't roll down and the guy next to me lit up a cigarette. I asked him if he could wait until we got to the work site to do that, but he said that he "needed it now and I'd just have to deal with it." Naturally, I was irritated by his lack of concern and utter disregard for those around him, plus the smoke started to build up near the back where we were. So I decided on a completely reasonable solution: I kicked my work boots off and crossed my right leg over my left one so my foot was pointed towards him. It took only a couple of seconds to get a whiff before he turned to me. "Oh man! Put your boots back on! That s***'s foul!" I wiggled my toes through my dirty sock and told him that "My feet needed to air out and that he'd just have to deal with it." He started to say something in protest, but then I reached for my sock as if to pull it off. He immediately tossed his smoke out the window, then told me to put my f***ing boots back on, so I did. Needless to say, it was unpleasant for both of us.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs