Autism "Epidemic"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#1New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 12:48:04
I was reading up on a lot of Autism Awareness articles, and I started feeling like how I feel about ADD/ADHD in kids.
I feel to some extent, it's phony baloney.
Now before I get burned at the stake, not all of it is. I know some people/children legitimately have this issue.
I just feel like the day Little Johnny doesn't feel like paying attention to his arithmetic, teacher complains and it's off to the pediatrician for some Ritalin.
It's far too widely used. I mean, FFS, now we have Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD). "there is an ongoing pattern of uncooperative, defiant, and hostile behavior toward authority figures that seriously interferes with the youngster’s day to day functioning."
https://aacap.org/page.ww?name=Children+with+Oppositional+Defiant+Disorder&section=Facts+for+Families
Could that just be a kid being a kid? Some of it IS nurture, some of it IS nature!

I feel like in this day-and-age, we need a diagnosis and a medication for everything!

"However, every child on the autism spectrum has problems, at least to some degree, in the following three areas:

1) Communicating verbally and non-verbally
2) Relating to others and the world around them
3) Thinking and behaving flexibly"
https://www.helpguide.org/mental/autism_signs_symptoms.htm

They're looking at 18 month olds for "Relating" to others and "thinking flexibly".

Come on, really?

I have a younger cousin who a doctor THOUGHT he had autism when he was a toddler. Braden didn't start speaking until he was two, and he's still in speech therapy (he has a stutter). But he doesn't have autism.
This is a normal little boy who had some speech issues, but his doctor was SO animate that this child was autistic and needed drugs.
Luckily, my aunt didn't want her two year old on drugs and got a second opinion.

This "epidemic" to me is like the ADD/ADHD "epidemic."
Parents don't know how to parent anymore and want a diagnosis and a drug for everything. We're quickly becoming a medicated society and it makes me sick.

Disclaimer: I am not speaking for every parent and every child. I know there are REAL, legit cases of autism, ADD and ADHD. Not so sure on ODD, though..
Reviso On November 23, 2014

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#2New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 12:57:29
So autism, besides reducing the soul there and now into the formal knowing apart from learning of the physical world (against that) has a social component for justifying a sociological knowledge independently.

I knew that. It means that the autist must associate the knowledge of social entities priorly to the actual communicating of social situations for the facts of physical from formal. Formally he appears to know a lot about the society, but he deals with the logical naive terms of ideal content of revealing many subject's truths.

That was stupid what i meant by sharia law. Who needed it when there were institutions of higher learning in places like Tehran as well.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#3New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 13:58:04
Autism is a lot more distinguished than add and such though, and a lot more dehibilitating. You're not really going to know in a year and a half year old, but if your kid is not developing the way that they should, you really want to be aware of that and getting people involved to keep track of this. You want to start working with them as soon as possible, even if they're too young for you to be certain that autism is the reason they are struggling with something.

I don't know that they push drugs quickly for it though. Our own kid had troubles with beginning to communicate, and nobody ever once pushed drugs on him. They considered autism, but all that they did was work with him and watch his development closely. I've never heard of autism equaling the need to drug your child; the focus is more on working on them with whatever they're stuggling with, because nobody wants to delay that until they're old enough to be sure. It would be too detrimental to the kid for something that has no negative effect if wrong.

I do agree with you as far add and such, but autism is very different.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 14:04:29
I never understand why people don't just trust doctors to make the right diagnosis. They are experts in their field and although there may be cases where they do make mistakes, if you can't trust them then it's actually a bit sad.

They don't make these disorders up for the hell of it, there's usually some kind of justification for it.

I think it's better to make sure there's no chance of things like autism as early as possible so you can get to grips with it and make sure you do the right thing for the kid.

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#5New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 14:18:01
@chisa96 Said

Autism is a lot more distinguished than add and such though, and a lot more dehibilitating. You're not really going to know in a year and a half year old, but if your kid is not developing the way that they should, you really want to be aware of that and getting people involved to keep track of this. You want to start working with them as soon as possible, even if they're too young for you to be certain that autism is the reason they are struggling with something.

I don't know that they push drugs quickly for it though. Our own kid had troubles with beginning to communicate, and nobody ever once pushed drugs on him. They considered autism, but all that they did was work with him and watch his development closely. I've never heard of autism equaling the need to drug your child; the focus is more on working on them with whatever they're stuggling with, because nobody wants to delay that until they're old enough to be sure. It would be too detrimental to the kid for something that has no negative effect if wrong.

I'd think a n Autistic person would have trouble getting along with a group of fellows doing an appropriate learning exercise especially if the class leader ignores the hindrance factor for solving exercises. Computer programmed courses could help.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 14:22:01
Autism is actually not flippantly diagnosed in my experience, at least not yet and certainly not as much as things like ADD and ADHD. I agree that the latter two are overdiagnosed today, but with autism there is a very specific set of criteria that have to be met before a diagnosis is made and (I'm pretty sure) it's supposed to be made by an actual psychiatrist rather than a GP (who can and has in my family diagnosed ADHD and prescribed medication for it-- against my wishes but it was out of my hands).

My younger son has been diagnosed with autism. Initially it was Aspergers, which was diagnosed by a neurologist, and then we followed up with a psychiatrist who corrected the diagnosis to just autism. Aspergers is actually more than likely going to be omited from the DSM V (I think next year is when it comes out) and those who are now referred to as Aspergians will just be relegated to the autism spectrum.

But autism itself carries a rather rigorous set of conditions that have to be met before a diagnosis can be made, and I have observed those conditions very intimately with my own child. It isn't just a case of "Johnny doesn't play well with others" or has difficulty communicating. They are very distinct and very noticeable differences in the child's pattern of behavior when interacting with others and there are other clues that may be prevailent like nonverbal tics and focus on specific topics of interest.

In our case, my son is in kindergarten and he's reading and doing math at a third grade level, and seems to have a near prodigious talent for thigns like geometry, but he doesn't understand human interaction very well and has a very big delay in his ability to communicate. He can talk, and he can carry on a conversation, but there is a delay. It's hard to put into words, but it's extremely apparent.

I understand the OP doesn't mean to chastise all parents who have children diagnosed with disorders, and in the case of ADHD my eldest son was diagnosed and medicated against my wishes (because my ex wife has primary custody) so I do agree there is an unhealthy tendency to turn immediately to medicine for answers when it may not always be the right way to turn. On the other hand, having a child with autism is not easy and it's emotionally draining much of the time. Don't get me wrong, my son is one of the best things about my life and I honestly wouldn't change him if I could, but others with the same situation as me may not be as understanding simply because it really is a trying thing on a family. I know I ceratainly didn't want this, and there are times when yes, I do wish I could simply say that he's just having some bumps in the road growing up that will be resolved with some discipline and a little work...of course I do...but the reality is these aren't just bumps. They are very real psychological (and in some cases neurophysiological) differences that will never be "healed" for lack of a better word.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 14:23:18
@Reviso Said

I'd think a n Autistic person would have trouble getting along with a group of fellows doing an appropriate learning exercise especially if the class leader ignores the hindrance factor for solving exercises. Computer programmed courses could help.

This is true. A lot of autistic people have an incredible aptitude for computers and are naturally talented at things that are more solo than group oriented.
Carly's Mommy

#8New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 14:28:09
@chisa96 Said

They wanted to put my cousin on some kind of serotonin medication. I'm not sure exactly why, but I do recall my aunt being scared and almost forced by this doctor into believing Braden had autism. I feel like it can be used as a cop-out sometimes. JMO..
Carly's Mommy

#9New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 14:31:03
@Reviso Said

Definitely. On the other hand, I know of some people who have autism (one is my friend Paul who is a very brilliant guy) he had a laptop he carried around school. Teachers put their lessons on flash drives for him so he could keep up. In his words, he felt like when he was looking at the board the the teacher was talking, he couldn't grasp anything. It was like looking through a kaleidoscopic with a tiny opening at the end where the teacher was. But when he had the laptop and could read and retain on his own, he did so much better.

This is my point, I don't think autism is a hoax (like some people) I think it's too often used as a diagnosis when something isn't right about the child.
Carly's Mommy

#10New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 14:35:37
@Eaglebauer Said

Autism is actually not flippantly diagnosed in my experience, at least not yet and certainly not as much as things like ADD and ADHD. I agree that the latter two are overdiagnosed today, but with autism there is a very specific set of criteria that have to be met before a diagnosis is made and (I'm pretty sure) it's supposed to be made by an actual psychiatrist rather than a GP (who can and has in my family diagnosed ADHD and prescribed medication for it-- against my wishes but it was out of my hands).

My younger son has been diagnosed with autism. Initially it was Aspergers, which was diagnosed by a neurologist, and then we followed up with a psychiatrist who corrected the diagnosis to just autism. Aspergers is actually more than likely going to be omited from the DSM V (I think next year is when it comes out) and those who are now referred to as Aspergians will just be relegated to the autism spectrum.

But autism itself carries a rather rigorous set of conditions that have to be met before a diagnosis can be made, and I have observed those conditions very intimately with my own child. It isn't just a case of "Johnny doesn't play well with others" or has difficulty communicating. They are very distinct and very noticeable differences in the child's pattern of behavior when interacting with others and there are other clues that may be prevailent like nonverbal tics and focus on specific topics of interest.

In our case, my son is in kindergarten and he's reading and doing math at a third grade level, and seems to have a near prodigious talent for thigns like geometry, but he doesn't understand human interaction very well and has a very big delay in his ability to communicate. He can talk, and he can carry on a conversation, but there is a delay. It's hard to put into words, but it's extremely apparent.

I understand the OP doesn't mean to chastise all parents who have children diagnosed with disorders, and in the case of ADHD my eldest son was diagnosed and medicated against my wishes (because my ex wife has primary custody) so I do agree there is an unhealthy tendency to turn immediately to medicine for answers when it may not always be the right way to turn. On the other hand, having a child with autism is not easy and it's emotionally draining much of the time. Don't get me wrong, my son is one of the best things about my life and I honestly wouldn't change him if I could, but others with the same situation as me may not be as understanding simply because it really is a trying thing on a family. I know I ceratainly didn't want this, and there are times when yes, I do wish I could simply say that he's just having some bumps in the road growing up that will be resolved with some discipline and a little work...of course I do...but the reality is these aren't just bumps. They are very real psychological (and in some cases neurophysiological) differences that will never be "healed" for lack of a better word.

Thank you for your input.

You are right, I'm not trying to make autism (or even ADD/ADHD) to be a all-in-all cop out. I just am uncomfortable with a society that is now beginning to medicate children more and more.
It's like the "There's an App for that." Got a problem child? There's a drug for that.

I feel like if some parents spent more time on things with their kids, a lot of issues could really ease up and be alright. And sometimes you have a highly strung child, and there isn't anything wrong with that. Certainly no need to jump the gun and go to a psychiatrist (at least right away).
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#11New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 14:38:43
@Kristy69 Said

They wanted to put my cousin on some kind of serotonin medication. I'm not sure exactly why, but I do recall my aunt being scared and almost forced by this doctor into believing Braden had autism. I feel like it can be used as a cop-out sometimes. JMO..

Hmm. Your aunt should have the doctor go over everything with her better I think-- what exactly he feels is wrong, what exactly demonstrated that to him, why he feels this treatment will be best, what the medication does and how that would help, etc.

Or find a doctor that can help her to fully understand what's going on without making her feel forced into something.

I have a feeling that we are missing pieces to this picture because autism can't really be used as a cop-out because, as others have said, it cannot be frivolously diagnosed. It might be raised as a concern too quickly, but the alternative is to not consider it and possibly lose all that time to work the child's development if it turns out correct.
Carly's Mommy

#12New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 14:52:47
@chisa96 Said

Hmm. Your aunt should have the doctor go over everything with her better I think-- what exactly he feels is wrong, what exactly demonstrated that to him, why he feels this treatment will be best, what the medication does and how that would help, etc.

Or find a doctor that can help her to fully understand what's going on without making her feel forced into something.

I have a feeling that we are missing pieces to this picture because autism can't really be used as a cop-out because, as others have said, it cannot be frivolously diagnosed.

She did end up getting a second opinion. The doctor she was talking to the first time (the impression the rest of my family and I got) was just very pushy and had the "I'm a doctor, I'm right, don't question me." attitude.
So obviously she didn't stay with him.

Idk about "frivolously diagnosed" but one on hand, since we are just really finding out about autism it's maybe more of a 'reporting phenomena.'
There are sooo many theories of what causes it (I've heard being born too early or late contributes (https://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/135711/pregnancy_length_now_tied_to), vaccinations, too much of a certain sugar in the diet of newborns/infants, etc.)

It's kinda like when cancer was really coming into the light.
Don't stand next to the microwave, talking on your cell phone causes tumors, don't eat red M&Ms.
I feel like there's not enough that we know about it and yet autism diagnoses are on a skyrocketing increase.
"1 in 88 children in the U.S. has an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) — a nearly 25% increase from 2006, when the rate was 1 in 110, and a stunning 78% increase since 2000–02, when the CDC first began tracking the disorder and estimated the rate at 1 in 150 children."

https://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/135711/pregnancy_length_now_tied_to

It just seems fishy to me. All of a sudden 1 in 88 kids are autistic (or have autistic tendancies)?
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#13New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 15:03:24
@Kristy69 Said

She did end up getting a second opinion. The doctor she was talking to the first time (the impression the rest of my family and I got) was just very pushy and had the "I'm a doctor, I'm right, don't question me." attitude.
So obviously she didn't stay with him.

Idk about "frivolously diagnosed" but one on hand, since we are just really finding out about autism it's maybe more of a 'reporting phenomena.'
There are sooo many theories of what causes it (I've heard being born too early or late contributes (https://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/135711/pregnancy_length_now_tied_to), vaccinations, too much of a certain sugar in the diet of newborns/infants, etc.)

It's kinda like when cancer was really coming into the light.
Don't stand next to the microwave, talking on your cell phone causes tumors, don't eat red M&Ms.
I feel like there's not enough that we know about it and yet autism diagnoses are on a skyrocketing increase.
"1 in 88 children in the U.S. has an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) — a nearly 25% increase from 2006, when the rate was 1 in 110, and a stunning 78% increase since 2000–02, when the CDC first began tracking the disorder and estimated the rate at 1 in 150 children."

https://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/135711/pregnancy_length_now_tied_to

It just seems fishy to me. All of a sudden 1 in 88 kids are autistic (or have autistic tendancies)?

Well, yeah. The causes can be silly and paranoid because we don't know for sure.

The rates going up is probably more due to awareness than paranoia though. Parents watch their kid's development more closely than they did before, call in for opinions if something is worrisome. I wonder how many cases were overlooked in years past.

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#14New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 16:15:58
@chisa96 Said

Well, yeah. The causes can be silly and paranoid because we don't know for sure.

The rates going up is probably more due to awareness than paranoia though. Parents watch their kid's development more closely than they did before, call in for opinions if something is worrisome. I wonder how many cases were overlooked in years past.

Oh yes, the causes of the disorder, are brain physiological, and reversely passive as a sensory depriving factor in the information, the emotional refusal to respond to external stimuli.

The patient reacts with alternative ways in the self-organization of knowledge desire to compensate. Autism may be misunderstood to be an emotional disease, but it isn't.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#15New Post! Apr 07, 2012 @ 16:24:43
@Kristy69 Said

Part of it has to do with the changing definitions, new information, etc. Years ago it wasn't an established disorder, but now that it is so many more people are showing behavioral "symptoms" (previously what would have been simply odd behaviors) and more and more people can be classified.

There is such a wide range of behaviors associated with this disorder, and no two people with an autism spectrum disorder are exactly alike. Psychological and developmental disorders are much more "flexible" than physical/medical diseases. What I mean by that is while there is criteria for disorders, there is no truly objective scan or blood test that can for certain establish that a person has X, Y, or Z. That leaves a ton of room for misdiagnosis, disagreement over diagnosis, and controversy.

Does that mean the whole thing is fake? No, of course not. But it means in some cases it's less of a problem than in others. And those who are horribly misdiagnosed take away from the credibility of the disorder as a whole.

Don't forget, many parents who see their kids struggling in school want to get them all the help they can get so that they can have an easier time. If kids who exhibit "different" behaviors can meet diagnostic criteria and get certain services, a lot of parents are very willing to take schools up on that to make life easier for their kids.

Oh also, I really dislike when the word "epidemic" is used in reference to things like psychological disorders, obesity, etc. You can't catch autism by standing next to a person. It's not an infectious disease. I know it was used in quotes in the title of this thread but I just thought I'd rant a little
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs