Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#16New Post! Mar 10, 2018 @ 20:54:02
Something to possibly consider:

#1 "Typically, the importer - not the end user as with sales tax - pays the tariff. However, the end user may absorb the cost since the price-to-market is impacted."

> In other words, while the tariff (in this case) is meant to monetarily "punish" our "unfair" trading partners, it could end up hurting some U.S. manufacturers in terms of additional incurred costs.

> These additional incurred costs that the foreign companies and U.S. companies would/will be paying, would most likely be passed on to the consumer: aka the U.S. citizen. (One might call it another tax to the U.S. citizen.)

The only way to avoid this problem (IMO) would be for U.S. companies to provide the tariffed goods at a higher level of quality for a better (lower) price than the tariff creates for the companies importing the goods to the U.S.

#2 The Tariff Act of 1930 raised U.S. tariffs on over 20,000 imported goods. "Although economists disagree by how much, the consensus view among economists and economic historians is that "The passage of the Smoot–Hawley Tariff exacerbated the Great Depression."

#3 Or I am completely off on that

The Republican Party seems to be against this Trump Tariff, however, it seems to me that there is a small group of conservative elitists who will be gaining from Trump Tariff.

One might wonder how Trump Tariff will impact Trump Investments... but we will never know, as no one wants to see Trump Tax Filings.
Ratty On November 08, 2021

So Cal, California
#17New Post! Mar 11, 2018 @ 00:59:24
I don't know enough about international trade laws and regulations to really speak with any authority but common sense seems like we should be able to be on some kind of fair terms....
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#18New Post! Mar 11, 2018 @ 05:29:34
@Ratty Said

....common sense seems like we should be able to be on some kind of fair terms....

What are "fair terms"?

Let's say I am a millionaire (got all my money "fairly" ) and you are a "middle class" guy making roughly $85,000 a year (you also got all your money "fairly" ).... we both work hard for our money.

Now we enter into a contract of some sort... say for example I am going to hire you to pave my long driveway.

A few thousand dollars difference might help or hurt you, but for me a few thousand dollars is like pocket change.

What is "fair"?

Granted, in that scenario there are many unspecified variables, but the over all point (or question) remains valid... I think.

OR

There are three guys... they are friends... they want to have a Super Bowl party. One is rich, one is middle class, one is living at poverty level. Do all three pay into this party at the same dollar figure? Is that fair? Or is it fair for them to pay into the party at the level (percentage) of their ability to afford it? What is fair?

The rich guy could think, "F__k if Bill and Joe are only going to fork up $100, that is all I'm going to fork up." Or the rich guy could think, "These are my friends. I want this party to be good. Maybe I'll put a little extra in...not to show them up, but to help pull this great party off... after all, I can afford it".

Meanwhile, Bill is thinking... "$100 is easy for me, I'm in."

While Joe is thinking... "s***! I can buy a fair amount of groceries for $100... but these two guys are my best friends and I really want to help this be the best party ever! I'm in!!!"

$100 each is "fair"... right?
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#19New Post! Mar 11, 2018 @ 06:52:23
@chaski Said

What are "fair terms"?

Let's say I am a millionaire (got all my money "fairly" ) and you are a "middle class" guy making roughly $85,000 a year (you also got all your money "fairly" ).... we both work hard for our money.

Now we enter into a contract of some sort... say for example I am going to hire you to pave my long driveway.

A few thousand dollars difference might help or hurt you, but for me a few thousand dollars is like pocket change.

What is "fair"?

Granted, in that scenario there are many unspecified variables, but the over all point (or question) remains valid... I think.

OR

There are three guys... they are friends... they want to have a Super Bowl party. One is rich, one is middle class, one is living at poverty level. Do all three pay into this party at the same dollar figure? Is that fair? Or is it fair for them to pay into the party at the level (percentage) of their ability to afford it? What is fair?

The rich guy could think, "F__k if Bill and Joe are only going to fork up $100, that is all I'm going to fork up." Or the rich guy could think, "These are my friends. I want this party to be good. Maybe I'll put a little extra in...not to show them up, but to help pull this great party off... after all, I can afford it".

Meanwhile, Bill is thinking... "$100 is easy for me, I'm in."

While Joe is thinking... "s***! I can buy a fair amount of groceries for $100... but these two guys are my best friends and I really want to help this be the best party ever! I'm in!!!"

$100 each is "fair"... right?

Tithing???

The wealthiest might not like that.

The little drummer boy was a sucker....

A rut ah tum tum
Komentenmelodie On May 25, 2018

#20New Post! Mar 13, 2018 @ 03:20:19
Firstly I assume (dangerous I know) that by "tariffs" you actually mean taxes? to me they are another way of penalizing overseas manufacturers BUT it could force US manufacturing to up the ante on pricing but somehow I doubt it. the mighty dollar (greed) pretty much rules most things, its all about profit etc. Its very sad that things that could be made here are generally not & imported! Just makes the USA a bigger slave to foreign countries because of our greed etc. This is not only true here but look at Europe. Its cheaper to export a British made car go over to Germany buy it & bring it back (including the import tax) how dumb is that??? One reason perhaps why Britain is giving the bird to Merkel & co!! USA manufacturing must be competitive, that is probably one reason why so many people buy foreign cars because many are more reliable, hold there value & are better equipped. Then there is the build quality!!! I know for a fact that the tolerances required in manufacturing for some cars (especially German) are much tighter resulting in a better made vehicle. This I would hasten to add is fact NOT fiction, I know very well what manufacturers want. I have 2 vehicles in my garage, one is a Benz the other Japanese, both are very good cars but the Benz is far better made, you can hear, see & feel it when being driven. Increasing taxes etc on imported material will not do anything to improve American manufacturing, quite the opposite in fact!!
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#21New Post! Mar 13, 2018 @ 13:08:46
@Komentenmelodie Said

Firstly I assume (dangerous I know) that by "tariffs" you actually mean taxes? to me they are another way of penalizing overseas manufacturers BUT it could force US manufacturing to up the ante on pricing but somehow I doubt it. the mighty dollar (greed) pretty much rules most things, its all about profit etc. Its very sad that things that could be made here are generally not & imported! Just makes the USA a bigger slave to foreign countries because of our greed etc. This is not only true here but look at Europe. Its cheaper to export a British made car go over to Germany buy it & bring it back (including the import tax) how dumb is that??? One reason perhaps why Britain is giving the bird to Merkel & co!! USA manufacturing must be competitive, that is probably one reason why so many people buy foreign cars because many are more reliable, hold there value & are better equipped. Then there is the build quality!!! I know for a fact that the tolerances required in manufacturing for some cars (especially German) are much tighter resulting in a better made vehicle. This I would hasten to add is fact NOT fiction, I know very well what manufacturers want. I have 2 vehicles in my garage, one is a Benz the other Japanese, both are very good cars but the Benz is far better made, you can hear, see & feel it when being driven. Increasing taxes etc on imported material will not do anything to improve American manufacturing, quite the opposite in fact!!

Considering that, and taking a short-sighted simplistic projection:
Tariffs on steel imports will make steel products more expensive - US Cars for example.

So if US cars become more expensive, then they may rise to a price-point that is comparable to foriegn cars that are percieved to be better quality.

So would I buy a Chevy Caprice or an Audi A5 for about the same price?
(IDK, are Audi's imported, or Made in USA?)
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#22New Post! Mar 13, 2018 @ 15:09:39
@mrmhead Said

So would I buy a Chevy Caprice or an Audi A5 for about the same price?
(IDK, are Audi's imported, or Made in USA?)

Made in Germany, though possibly soon to be made in a plant in Mexico.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#23New Post! Mar 13, 2018 @ 15:12:04
@chaski Said

Made in Germany, though possibly soon to be made in a plant in Mexico.

That should bring down the price of them! Lower transport/logistics costs, and we have NAFTA! (oh...wait ...)
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#24New Post! Mar 13, 2018 @ 15:17:08
@mrmhead Said

That should bring down the price of them! Lower transport/logistics costs, and we have NAFTA! (oh...wait ...)

The Chevy Caprice has nothing to worry about... sure it isn't as good a car as an Audi (any Audi).... sure the tariffs on steel could increase the cost of the Chevy Caprice making it even less desirable...

...but were going to build a wall... A BIG BEAUTIFUL WALL... that will keep those Mexican Audis out of our country... SECURITY!!!

Note: I think production of the Caprice was stopped in the USA years ago. It was being made in Venezuela until 2016, but production was "idled" due to lack of parts... but I might be wrong.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#25New Post! Mar 13, 2018 @ 15:32:56
Some other "American" cars made overseas...I'm guessing the tariffs will cause an increase in price...

Ford Escape
Cadillac SRX
Ford Fiesta
GM Spark
Ford Transit Connect
Chevy Impala
Dodge Challenger
Dodge Charger
Chrysler 300
Chevy Captiva
Dodge Journey
Lincoln MKZ
Ford Fusion
Fiat 500
Lincoln MKT
Ford Focus
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#26New Post! Mar 13, 2018 @ 15:38:10
And while were on the topic, these foreign companies make some of their cars in the USA....so I guess the tariffs will increase their prices also...

Acura
BMW
Honda
Hyundai
Kia
Mercedes-Benz
Nissan
Subaru
Toyota
Volkswagen
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#27New Post! Mar 13, 2018 @ 15:44:19
So basically the tariffs will help the U.S. steel industry (in theory), but result in an increase in automobile prices (probably), which will (most likely) be passed on the the U.S. consumer in the form of higher vehicle prices...

...of course that could lead the U.S. consumer to purchase less expensive vehicle models that are made overseas, thus having a negative impact on U.S. based car manufactures...which could lead both U.S. and foreign car manufactures to build more vehicles overseas to avoid the higher cost steel and make more profits... lead to a loss in JOBS!!!

...and end up causing a reduction in U.S. steel sales...leading to a loss in more JOBS!!!

Brilliant.

But I could be wrong.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#28New Post! Mar 13, 2018 @ 15:56:22
And then there is the TPP...

It was TERRIBLE!

> Prior to the USA pulling out of the TPP, the USA was not just at the negotiating table, but in the leadership role and was pushing something like 12 (maybe more) aspects of the TPP that were designed to "protect" U.S. interests.

> Everyone thought that if the U.S. pulled out of the TPP, it would fall apart.

> However, it didn't fall apart as the other members of the TPP stayed.

> The leadership role went to Japan and Australia ...bye bye USA

> The 12 pro-USA points of the TPP were dropped.

> So now the TPP remains (new name)...with no U.S. input, no U.S. leadership, no U.S. trade protections.
Komentenmelodie On May 25, 2018

#29New Post! Mar 14, 2018 @ 03:10:20
@chaski Said

So basically the tariffs will help the U.S. steel industry (in theory), but result in an increase in automobile prices (probably), which will (most likely) be passed on the the U.S. consumer in the form of higher vehicle prices...

...of course that could lead the U.S. consumer to purchase less expensive vehicle models that are made overseas, thus having a negative impact on U.S. based car manufactures...which could lead both U.S. and foreign car manufactures to build more vehicles overseas to avoid the higher cost steel and make more profits... lead to a loss in JOBS!!!

...and end up causing a reduction in U.S. steel sales...leading to a loss in more JOBS!!!

Brilliant.

But I could be wrong.

I do not think you are wrong, the additional taxes will do nothing but hinder the US economy. We need to be far more self sufficient that way we are not being screwed over a barrel for basic products etc. These need to be available here (in the USA) so we do not have to pay stupid prices, thus helping to keep our prices lower (only if the manufacturer passes on the savings) which is another matter!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs