Health & Fitness

Plz Help: Grad school related problem

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
bananamilk888 On May 07, 2005

Boston, Massachusetts
#1New Post! May 07, 2005 @ 00:09:25
Hi all,
This is my first post and I just wanted to post a personal problem I have. I am a 3rd year grad student in pharmacy school, and this class has been hindering my progress. Like many colleges, this class has Fall and Spring semester, like part 1 and 2. In Fall 2003, I failed this class and took if over in Fall 2004, which I successfully passed. At that time, my parents were disappointed and I received alot of pressure from even my girlfriend's parents. I consider age as an important factor too, considering I'm turning 27 this year. I'm not getting any younger, and I need to graduate so I can get a job. Well, it turns out that today, I just confirmed with my professor that I failed the Spring semester componet, despite my persistent efforts to succeed. I told my professor that it was not the fact that I didn't try, but that some anxiety and mis-reading/understanding could be the issue. So now my parents and everyone surrounding me are irate, as everyone is graduating who were in my last class, and this year, I couldn't pass again, which prevents me from going on my externship/clinical rotation sites. Now I'm so depressed, and my confidence is so low, and I fear that this might happen again next year, and worry that I may never become a pharmacist. Can someone please give me some advice as to what my outlook/attitude should be? Does anyone have any extensive experience (perhaps someone who is older than I am) to give me some feedback? I just cannot believe this one class is holding me back...

El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#2New Post! May 07, 2005 @ 00:18:03
Hmm, well what do you want your outlook to be?
beanie On May 08, 2006

Away with the pixies..., Austr
#3New Post! May 07, 2005 @ 00:18:39
Hi, I don't have "extensive" experience, (a little humble experience) but is it more that the work istelf is difficult?
Two things pop into mind...have you had some tutoring? If not, that could help. (Like, from an older Grad from the same College) that way, they can give pointers on what they are looking for in assessments, etc.
Or, if more related to learning difficulties, maybe check out any myriad of therapists available to help in this area?
Just a thought. Hope this helps
secretvixen On December 08, 2009

New York City, New York
#4New Post! May 07, 2005 @ 01:42:19
math used to hold me back big time!....i had trouble with it ever since i started school, dating back to Kindergarten...In the second grade, they put me in this program called Resource Room. In RR, teachers pulled me and other students out of class for a half an hour to an hour and they would help me with areas i was struggling in. I later found out that this was special education therefore i felt really stupid and it did hurt me. They claimed that my learning skills was below my grade level. In high school, i was still in this program and i was still struggling in math class. The only thing was i was promoted to a higher course of math; i started highschool with Math A and ended up in Calculus! ...the Resource Room program couldnt help me with Calculus b/c they were only trained to help students with Math A(b/c of the students failing it and taking it over)...Because they couldnt help me with Calculus...they claimed i was the first person ever in Resource Room history to make it to Calculus let alone Math B. This "class" was making my schedule long so i dropped it with the permission of my parents. Now im in college and im doing good...even in statistics!!! I really dont know what happened but maybe i had this inner drive that finally got out. I havent had any form of tutoring since then and im doing well...

i really dont know your problem but it did made me think about this problem that i had. I really paid close attention in class and i studied really really hard
bananamilk888 On May 07, 2005

Boston, Massachusetts
#5New Post! May 07, 2005 @ 02:58:45
Thanks for the quick and sincere reply guys. I guess to answer the question of how I want the outcome to be, you are asking if I have the right mindset, am I right? I feel at this point this has been draggin on so long as I cannot identify my problem, I am a little discouraged. In practice (ie. at my work) I have no problems and I receive many compliments that I would become a good pharmacist. But in academics, specifically in this one class I literally suck. And the worst part is, that I can't pinpoint what the problem is, otherwise I probably wouldn't have posted this message and would've solved the issue. Unfortunately, the feeling is literally like that movie where every event that entailed after the fall of 2003 was unfortunate. And Pamela, thanks for sharing your personal experience similar to what I'm going through. I guess now even if I had the right focus my confidence is so stifled that I don't know if I can regain it... I'm pretty much just miserable right now. To many, I know this isn't such a big issue, but as I see my peers graduating, in such a small school, you begin to realize that soon everyone knows what happend to me. It seems like that's the negative of small private schools... how unfortunate.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#6New Post! May 07, 2005 @ 07:08:11
I'm asking how do you want to think about it? You're not satisfied with how you are thinking about it. What would you change about how you're thinking about it if you were going to change how you think about it?

Other than that, I might suggest you go to the campus counselling center if there is one. They can probably be of more assistance than we can here in changing your thoughts/outlook, etc.
babygirl6902 On September 29, 2007

Grant, Michigan
#7New Post! May 07, 2005 @ 12:50:14
I was in the same sitution as you. I had to take the basic math college class 3 times and now i am in it for the fourth time and i hope that i pass because i have 8 years of schooling left. So dont fell bad. Have you tryed to see if any other school has that class for summer/winter. If you can try and take it there. You will still be able to graduate for the school you are at now but you wont have to wait another semster.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs