are rich people unethical?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#16New Post! Mar 06, 2012 @ 13:04:23
@lefty Said

There are no absolutes when dealing with people and their ethics and morality. Each person's ethics and morality are a part of their character, and their character is the sum of all their life's experiences.

Each person is unique.

[When in Rome]

The terms ethics and morality are both used in reference to right and wrong behaviors.

It would not be incorrect to use the term morality in reference to good and evil where, in this context, good refers to intention to benefit and evil refers to intention to harm. The intention to harm would be evil even if the consequence of the behavior resulted in benefit. So an evil intention resulting in a behavior is evil regardless of the consequences of the behavior. And a good intention resulting in a behavior is good regardless of the consequences.

It would not be incorrect to use the term ethics in reference to behavior that is considered good and bad and since this thread is about ethics we can focus on behaviors that are considered good and bad and leave morality for another time.

Good behavior is that which is in accord with contemporary regional standards of conduct and bad behavior is that which is not in accord with contemporary regional standards of conduct.

A particular society will have standards of behavior for its members and those that do not adhere to the standards tend to find themselves ostracized, incarcerated, or tacked up to a cross wondering why they have been forsaken.

Within every culture there are sub-cultures; each sub-culture adhering to the over standards of conduct of the society that they are in and each sub-culture with its own slight variations on the standards; and as you have pointed out, every individual in a society is a sub-culture unto themselves.

It is nevertheless best to at least pretend to adhere to contemporary regional standards of conduct (i.e. when in Rome do as the Romans do)
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#17New Post! Mar 06, 2012 @ 13:33:23
@chaski Said

I don't buy into those articles. Perhaps I am in denial, but from my life it seems to me that....

Some rich people are unethical.

Some poor people are also unethical.

Some people are unethical.... some are not.

@lefty Said

There are no absolutes when dealing with people and their ethics and morality. Each person's ethics and morality are a part of their character, and their character is the sum of all their life's experiences.

Each person is unique.

Agree!!!
I don't usually talk like this, but I hate stereotypical bulls***. Money may give opportunities to people, but it doesn't change their inherent character. I grew up in a very wealthy neighborhood and taught school in a very poor one. There were the good, the bad and the ugly in each level of society. The very rich are focused on and get a lot of publicity, just as the criminal gets his/hers. You can't judge an entire group of people by the acts of a few. The bad news always hits the news first; give me a break.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Mar 06, 2012 @ 14:02:07
I know some nice rich people. I know some nice poor people too.

Everyone has worries.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs