Should America Change Her History?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#46New Post! Jan 29, 2012 @ 05:23:17
@woodss Said

Rubbish about the freemasons gets really old.

rumor, not rubbish.
who where those at the tea party?
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#47New Post! Jan 29, 2012 @ 05:31:33
@crazylikeafox Said

Do you have proof it's to be less offensive though? Changing the word is typically done to better reflect the extent of the network. If they're looking at the entire trade network, then that's the better term. The only reason to worry is if they're changing the name but only focusing on the slave trade part of it.

Depends on the area, but tobacco, cotton, manufactured goods, rum, etc.

I don't agree, or at least suspicious of the reasoning behind it. Filing the slave trade, something particularly painful to America, under a different header comes across - to me - as trying to throw a thin veil over it. That in itself could be considered offensive.

"What you really mean is the slave trade...".

Etc.

Not being American, or lived in America, it's just my opinion from the outside looking in and I realise you're saying that they're not looking to avoid teaching about it, but I'm left feeling cynical.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#48New Post! Jan 29, 2012 @ 05:39:53
@Willi Said

in this triangle, ships carrying slaves came from africa and other places too?

It went from the Americas to Europe to Africa and back to the Americas. That's why it's described as a triangle. As to slaves, they only came from Africa yes.

McKinney, Texas
#49New Post! Jan 29, 2012 @ 05:40:56
@davii Said

I don't agree, or at least suspicious of the reasoning behind it. Filing the slave trade, something particularly painful to America, under a different header comes across - to me - as trying to throw a thin veil over it. That in itself could be considered offensive.

"What you really mean is the slave trade...".

Etc.

Not being American, or lived in America, it's just my opinion from the outside looking in and I realise you're saying that they're not looking to avoid teaching about it, but I'm left feeling cynical.

OK. What about the other 2 points? I found the fact the article complained about them more strange than the trade network anyways.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#50New Post! Jan 29, 2012 @ 05:44:34
@crazylikeafox Said

It went from the Americas to Europe to Africa and back to the Americas. That's why it's described as a triangle. As to slaves, they only came from Africa yes.

i've read that white and asian slaves also existed.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#51New Post! Jan 29, 2012 @ 05:50:00
@crazylikeafox Said

OK. What about the other 2 points? I found the fact the article complained about them more strange than the trade network anyways.

About pupils walking out of lessons etc?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#52New Post! Jan 29, 2012 @ 05:51:56
@crazylikeafox Said

"a proposal to eliminate from history books references to the Founding Fathers owning slaves or encroaching on Native American lands"

it never happened.

McKinney, Texas
#53New Post! Jan 29, 2012 @ 05:54:35
@davii Said

About pupils walking out of lessons etc?

Huh? No, these 2 points

Quote:
The board changed references to the nation's first black president to read "Barack Hussein Obama" and required students to "contrast" Confederate President Jefferson Davis' inaugural address with Abraham Lincoln’s philosophical views.

Why is referring to the President by his full name bad, and why is comparing and contrasting the Presidents of the USA and CSA bad?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#54New Post! Jan 29, 2012 @ 06:00:51
“In Iran, we don’t have homosexuals like in your country. In Iran, we do not have this phenomenon. I don’t know who has told you we have that.” ahmadinejad
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#55New Post! Jan 29, 2012 @ 06:05:00
@crazylikeafox Said

Huh? No, these 2 points

Why is referring to the President by his full name bad, and why is comparing and contrasting the Presidents of the USA and CSA bad?

I did refer to that in an earlier post. Why insist on refering to one president's full name and not all of them equally?

Is it because it's the Tea Party and the president in question is Obama? Why exactly is it relevent to single him out? Because he's the current president and that middle name is "Hussein"? Election coming up?

There's absolutely no reason to stipulate it, other than for their own political reasons.

Anything they say after that is bound to be treated with suspicion.

Comparing presidents I don't have an issue with.

McKinney, Texas
#56New Post! Jan 29, 2012 @ 06:24:09
@davii Said

I did refer to that in an earlier post. Why insist on refering to one president's full name and not all of them equally?

Is it because it's the Tea Party and the president in question is Obama? Why exactly is it relevent to single him out? Because he's the current president and that middle name is "Hussein"? Election coming up?

There's absolutely no reason to stipulate it, other than for their own political reasons.

Anything they say after that is bound to be treated with suspicion.

Comparing presidents I don't have an issue with.

What, you mean like Franklin Deleno Roosevelt and Lyndon Baines Johnson? I'm pretty sure all text books use the President's full name at least once. This isn't the Tea Party that made those demands anyways. It was the Texas School Board.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#57New Post! Jan 29, 2012 @ 06:30:51
@crazylikeafox Said

What, you mean like Franklin Deleno Roosevelt and Lyndon Baines Johnson? I'm pretty sure all text books use the President's full name at least once. This isn't the Tea Party that made those demands anyways. It was the Texas School Board.

Fair enough, but wasn't that because that's how they themself referred to their own name and not a decision by third parties?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs